Author Topic: Chef Adonis does it again! Cold Ferment High Protein Pizza. Pic included!  (Read 17807 times)

apply85

• Getbig IV
Re: Chef Adonis does it again! Cold Ferment High Protein Pizza. Pic included!
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
also, there may be a restaurant that sous vides steak, maybe 1 or 2 that tried, but basically sous vide is used only when u really need it, like cooking turkey in a way that doent dry it, or duck breasts in a way that will mealt the fat in a specific way... but no one sous vides steak because steak cooking method has been perfected, and its to either broiler it, or sear it and then roast it, those are the two methods and the outcome is perfect so no need for sous vide

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
no, he was talking about searing then broiler lol, broiler is bellow the oven, where if u put a steak in there it will be inches away from the flames and therefore the top of it will be seared like on a grill

fucking idiot adonis

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #152 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
Apply85, I am not sticking up for TA (he doesn't need me to), but I hope you were not referring to my earlier post regarding how I cook a steak.

I was clear.

I sear in cast iron skillet, then pan roast in the oven.

Perhaps that is what TA meant, in that he sears, then roasts.

Not broils.
He is too stupid to realize that he is arguing with himself.  You and I both did not say what he thinks we did.  He made the whole thing up in his pea brain.

He really is a Grade-A Moron.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: February 29, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
no, he was talking about searing then broiler lol, broiler is bellow the oven, where if u put a steak in there it will be inches away from the flames and therefore the top of it will be seared like on a grill

fucking idiot adonis
???

There you go again, arguing with yourself and making it up.

Furthermore, Sous Vide is common place these days for the absolute best steak. Its impossible to get it perfectly cooked EVERY SINGLE TIME as you do with Sous Vide.

Also, with Sous Vide, you can have a perfectly cooked steak ready to serve in 30 seconds or as long as it takes you to open the bag.

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2012, 02:11:43 PM »
This is why I sometimes do not like the internet.

Why the need for fights?

This should be a fun place.  To discuss the intricate world of men in thongs.  And haute cuisine.

I mean sure, if you want beef, then bring the ruckus.

But why?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
I guess Apply has never heard of The French Laundry, Per Se or Thomas Keller.

Oh well.  :-\

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
The broiler method after searing is an ancient trick.  Great one nonetheless.  Sous Vide with a reverse sear produces the most consistent results however.

what the fuck u mean you didnt say what i think u said, there i tis, when u broil u dont need to sear ok get that through ur head

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Here is a pretty killer primer on sous vide:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

I have known about sous vide for quite some time, as I am an avid reader.  Further, I grew up with a mother that loved food, and loved feeding her two sons.  She was trained in the culinary arts by none other than Georges Perrier, so I ate very well for a very long time.  Often, I was disappointed when I would take a girl out to eat dinner, as leftovers at my parents were far better.

However, I must admit, I have never attempted to cook anything using the sous vide method.  I am thoroughly intrigued.

Adam, how do you get the cooler to the desired temperature?

Obviously, I know about cooler tricks, as this is a key component of bbq, even for the reverse sear method on a prime rib roast (get to about 15 degrees short of desired temp, take off BGE, wrap in foil and place in cooler.  Temp rises 8-10 degrees, put back on grate at 500 degrees for a short time for perfect reverse sear).  

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »
show me that keller sous vids steak in the french laundry or per se, i did not see that on the meny when i ate at french laundry i'll tell u that for sure

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
I have no dog in this fight.

Keller has been on record saying that a roast chicken may be the best meal though.

I recall seeing that years ago on what I believe was David Rosengarten's show.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: February 29, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
eating meat will make you look old as fuck
A

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »
eating meat will make you look old as fuck

JF, I've often meant to ask you, did you become veggie for health reasons or was it more on ethical grounds?
O

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
im gonna say this again

that ta thinks people sear before broiling means he never ever broiled anything

and that he thinks sous vide for steak is a good idea means he dont know shit, it is redundant basically, its not needed and maybe a fancy restaurant will do it every once just to say they do it for marketing reasons, but its stupid

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
Cooking steak is serious business....

on getbig.. ;D
O

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
JF, I've often meant to ask you, did you become veggie for health reasons or was it more on ethical grounds?

both

having more then one reason to go that route (vegetarian) made even more sense to me
A

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »
Cooking steak is serious business....

on getbig.. ;D
It appears so!  :D

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #166 on: February 29, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
You guys missed my Wu-Tang reference!!!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: February 29, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »
Here is a pretty killer primer on sous vide:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

I have known about sous vide for quite some time, as I am an avid reader.  Further, I grew up with a mother that loved food, and loved feeding her two sons.  She was trained in the culinary arts by none other than Georges Perrier, so I ate very well for a very long time.  Often, I was disappointed when I would take a girl out to eat dinner, as leftovers at my parents were far better.

However, I must admit, I have never attempted to cook anything using the sous vide method.  I am thoroughly intrigued.

Adam, how do you get the cooler to the desired temperature?

Obviously, I know about cooler tricks, as this is a key component of bbq, even for the reverse sear method on a prime rib roast (get to about 15 degrees short of desired temp, take off BGE, wrap in foil and place in cooler.  Temp rises 8-10 degrees, put back on grate at 500 degrees for a short time for perfect reverse sear).  
All you need to do is heat your water up to the desired temperature.  Just boil some water and add it to hot existing tap water in the cooler and take a temperature reading until you get there. Its simple.
Kenji is one the best ever.  I followed him from Cook`s to Serious Eats and he always is willing to help out!

He also perfected the Beer Cooler Sous Vide Hack.

Kenji represents the breed of cook that is ideal-Science based and nothing else.  I use his NY Pizza Sauce all the time and used it for my Pizza that I posted in this thread.

I am going to try his NY dough recipe.  Its about the same but with 3 percent more water and a tad bit more salt.

Now for the Beer Cooler Sous Vide Enjoy Silver Spoon:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: February 29, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
im gonna say this again

that ta thinks people sear before broiling means he never ever broiled anything

and that he thinks sous vide for steak is a good idea means he dont know shit, it is redundant basically, its not needed and maybe a fancy restaurant will do it every once just to say they do it for marketing reasons, but its stupid
Nearly every "Fancy" Restaurant Sous Vide`s their steaks.

And where did I post searing before broiling?  You sear before roasting or you can reverse sear provided you don`t let your meat get any higher than about 115 or so Pre-Sear.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: February 29, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »
Kenji`s French Fries are also top notch.  I usually have batches single fried and frozen, only needing a 1 minute or so final fry and then I have Mcdonald`s clone fries.  The pre-boiling with added pectin in the form of vinegar is genius, as is the Freeze before second fry to totally get rid of any moisture for ultimate crispness.

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #170 on: February 29, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=417067.msg5975277#msg5975277

read that again

and no, no onei know of sous vides steak because they arent morons

people sous vide beef as in brisket, but there are many reasons not to sous vide steak and no reasons to sous vide steak

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: February 29, 2012, 03:02:18 PM »
show me that keller sous vids steak in the french laundry or per se, i did not see that on the meny when i ate at french laundry i'll tell u that for sure

Here you go cock garbler.  A Photo and article from The French Laundry.  Looks like you either never ate there or didn`t have a clue why you were eating there.  Either way, you are owned.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10004050-7.html

At The French Laundry, Keller became an early proponent of a system of cooking known as sous vide. It involves vacuum-sealing ingredients and then heating them in water with precisely controlled temperatures. This is The French Laundry's vacuum sealing system. On the right are rolls of water-tight bags, and on the left is the sealing system.
A behind-the-scenes story on the technology and gear of The French Laundry and Per Se can be found here. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20010060-52.html

Sous-vide
If you've ever used a FoodSaver--a popular vacuum-packing system--you might find another one of Keller's favorite systems, known as sous-vide, quite familiar. Starting with an industrial vacuum packer called an Ultravac, the staff at both restaurants--and many others, of course--can bag some sort of food, say a piece of fish that's had some mousse applied to it, or a cepe (a type of mushroom) straight from the garden, and suck all the air out of the bag. This both extends the shelf life of the item, especially with protein-heavy foods, by stopping the oxygenation process, and also lets the staff cook it in a special tank of water.
For a mushroom, that means heating the water to 92 degrees and leaving the cepe in there for a short while. And all without much flavor loss, and certainly with less than if it was to be heated in a pan, said Timothy Hollingsworth, the chef de cuisine at The French Laundry.
And what makes the sous-vide system so effective and efficient for the two kitchens--and why there are six or seven, or possibly more, in both restaurants, is that it also includes another device that can quickly heat the water in the tanks to a precise temperature, circulate the water, and keep it at the consistent temperature.
It's also not always necessary to vacuum seal everything, said Matt Orlando, a sous chef at Per Se.
To prepare a lobster, for example, Keller would poach it in butter, and then make an emulsion of water and butter and mix it in with the crustacean, and let it circulate overnight, Orlando said. Similarly, Keller might confit a piece of lamb in duck fat and canola oil at 59.5 degrees for 45 minutes and come out with the start of a fantastic dish.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20010060-52.html#ixzz1noYegkLq

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »
HAHHAHHAHAh Video of Thomas Keller Sous Viding a steak.  According to Apply85, Keller must be a moron. HAHAHAHA

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #173 on: February 29, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
u think i dont know keller used sous vide?

show me where he sous vides a steak in the french laundry, i know that video is up, its just to show u how to do it if u wanna do it, but i said sous vide a steak in one of his restaurants on the menu

POTA

« Reply #174 on: February 29, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
I hand make my own somewhat-healthy Chicago-style pizza.

I use Great River Organic Milling 100% OrganicBread Flour Seven Grain when making the dough. Eden Organic Pizza Pasta Sauce, Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the sauce. For meat, I usually use low fat Italian sausage, but sometimes I just go plain with cheese.

Here's a pic of it right before putting it in the oven.

The cheese and meat go beneath the surface in Chicago-style.

I cut it into ten big pieces and eat it between classes throughout the week.