Author Topic: how many of you log your workouts/track calories?  (Read 2912 times)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
Re: how many of you log your workouts/track calories?
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:33 AM »
was logging my workouts for a while and recently started tracking my cals using myfitness pal...greatest app out btw! and for any who dont do either, or only do one do you feel you can still make gains this way?

in other words do you feel its NECESSARY to do both of these things in order to progress in whatever your goals may be? anyway curious to hear some answers here. one thing ive noticed since tracking is im eating what seems to be a lot of sugar, over 100g a day! ??? some fruit, milk, some ice cream and boom you're there lol. whats everyone doing?
I log doing your mom, 'cause I got more things to do..... ;)

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
so how about doing the same thing for my first exercise and just focus on that, while switching up 2nd, 3rd, 4th exercises as i see fit? example stick to incline smith always keeping it first in my routine, then switch up my next 2 or 3 exercises?

and how about volume, stick to moderate as in 12-15 sets for legs, chest, back, shoulders and 6-8 sets for arms, calves, traps? finally weight each set, pyramid up, keep it the same....should i go to failure?

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »
waste of time
x2. Most of the people I see in the gym writing down their sets, reps, etc. in their log books are tiny twinks.
T

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »
I log the food but not the workouts.

I used to be a fat fuck and logged it while I was getting back in shape and just haven't stopped. The program I use is fitday; also helps to track my cycle, dosages and bodyweight.
l

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
so how about doing the same thing for my first exercise and just focus on that, while switching up 2nd, 3rd, 4th exercises as i see fit? example stick to incline smith always keeping it first in my routine, then switch up my next 2 or 3 exercises?

and how about volume, stick to moderate as in 12-15 sets for legs, chest, back, shoulders and 6-8 sets for arms, calves, traps? finally weight each set, pyramid up, keep it the same....should i go to failure?

carry a pair of dice in your pocket at all times

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »

bump

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »
carry a pair of dice in your pocket at all times

lol huh

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
i used to do it, i did make good gains progressing in each workout but some times i forgot the pen, others the notebook...plus i lost focus on the workout trying to focus logging and reading past workouts.
Boundary Breaker

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »
lol huh

so you don't have to decide, just roll the dice and do what the dice says.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
i used to do it, i did make good gains progressing in each workout but some times i forgot the pen, others the notebook...plus i lost focus on the workout trying to focus logging and reading past workouts.

so what do you do now just something different each time?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »
to each is to there own but training/diet logs work for some and i see guys in the gym finish a few swts go to there pad and write ok,,,really other than pure strenght goal if thats what u do then i can see,otherwise pic up dumbell or barbell pull,press,see what happens if it keeps happening its working if not change it some ,,look in mirror,weigh yourself occassionally,,if u get compliments ur doing ok,,,,

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
to each is to there own but training/diet logs work for some and i see guys in the gym finish a few swts go to there pad and write ok,,,really other than pure strenght goal if thats what u do then i can see,otherwise pic up dumbell or barbell pull,press,see what happens if it keeps happening its working if not change it some ,,look in mirror,weigh yourself occassionally,,if u get compliments ur doing ok,,,,

yea i gotta stop over thinking. btw why you being a dick in my other thread bro >:(

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
yea i gotta stop over thinking. btw why you being a dick in my other thread bro >:(
???,,i said one comment about dnp ,,ya got me mixed up with someone else...

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »
I always use a log book at the gym. Im a big believer in using journals for everything in life.

I like to progressive lift and I cant remember what I did in terms of reps/weight from a week ago, so I write it down.

Bodybuilding and powerfliting are about gaining experience and learning as you go. How can you do that if there is no evidence of what you did previously? How do you know what adjustments to make?

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
???,,i said one comment about dnp ,,ya got me mixed up with someone else...

i see now lol, at least youre with me!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »

Haven't logged my work outs in forever... and don't think I ever will... just seems to be a waste of time to me... considering, even if you are making progress, everyday, every week, will be different, some days you will be stressed, some days you will be tired, some days you will be sick, etc etc...  So meh...

As for diet, I have a basic meal plan / calorie plan written out on excel... and I try to stick to it (but doesn't always happen), I don't log everything that I eat religiously... even when I'm dieting for a show, I just refer to the pre-written plan  on excel.. again never really write it down every night or anything!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2012, 08:29:54 PM »
Haven't logged my work outs in forever... and don't think I ever will... just seems to be a waste of time to me... considering, even if you are making progress, everyday, every week, will be different, some days you will be stressed, some days you will be tired, some days you will be sick, etc etc...  So meh...

As for diet, I have a basic meal plan / calorie plan written out on excel... and I try to stick to it (but doesn't always happen), I don't log everything that I eat religiously... even when I'm dieting for a show, I just refer to the pre-written plan  on excel.. again never really write it down every night or anything!
well get dieting again big man,,,

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
well get dieting again big man,,,

I'm trying to clean it up some lol...  cutting out desserts, eating right, that sort of thing...  really really need to start doing cardio again though!

NeilGM

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »
I log my training session.

I weigh my self every week to 10 days and write the date at the top of every page. I will record what I am training that day and then I simply put the exercise I am doing, the number of reps, sets and weight for each exercise.

Everytime I train a part I aim to increase the reps or weight, it may only be 1 rep in 4 sets but it must go up, to be honest it does 95% of the time, just occasionally you stall as I not had enough foof/rest etc.

Would never ever train without doing this. I used to and progress was slow, records help big time.

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2012, 02:27:08 AM »
so what do you do now just something different each time?

by now i already know the exercises i like and feel the most in the muscle. When im in the lifting room i 'plan' my workout 'instinctively' right there. If im feeling tired during the warmups i'll rep out if i feel like warmups feel light i'll may attempt to max out on the first working set in (note for me maxing out is at least 6-7reps NEVER 1rep) and then rep out the rest.
Boundary Breaker