Author Topic: Do you buy premium fuel?  (Read 13414 times)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: Do you buy premium fuel?
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
There have been more than one gas station caught using the lowest grade fuel for all three grades. Can't trust any of these mother fuckers.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_19704_6-car-myths-that-cost-you-money-every-year_p2.html

Here they list 6 Car Myths That Cost You Money.  The number one myth is that “High-Octane Gasoline Is Better for Your Engine.”  Do you believe this?  Do you buy premium fuel?  I don’t.  I never have.  My car manufacturer says it’s required, but I have never bought premium fuel for any of my cars.  8)

So does mine and I do.
T

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »
Yes, if you drive a shitty car it takes 87...  ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
My manufacturers says it's required, and it runs better on it. All my cars I have noticed run better.
I used to have a Ford Taurus that had that pinging sound when using low grade or mid grade.

I am willing to bet that you'd notice the performance difference (pep, and or sluggishness) between using prem vs mid grade or low grade.

Now, I have used low grade when gas prices go up...and my dad is cheap so he uses it all the time except in my mom's Mercedes.

I have tried that experiment several times over the years on my last two cars.  Maybe if I was a drag racer I would notice a significant difference, but in my day-to-day driving I find the difference to be negligible.

I can imagine scenarios with certain vehicles when one would want premium fuel for maximum performance.  Just as I can imagine a time when expensive premium wheels and tires would also make a difference, but do I need that performance difference often enough to justify the expense?  No.  And neither do 97% of drivers.

The speedometer in my car goes up to 180mph!  Am I ever going to drive that fast?  No.  I haven’t even gone half that fast in the last thirty days.  Similarly, I simply do not "need" the performance boost I could get from premium fuel.   ::)  I am quite happy with my car's performance without premium fuel.

Some time ago, I recall an undercover investigation by a program like 20/20 where they scoped out an independently owned gas station and found out that all three grades of gasoline were actually coming from the exact same underground tank, but the station was charging for the two higher octanes when, in fact, there was no difference among them.  I have no reason to think this is a common practice—in fact I am sure it is not—but I think the driving habits of most people simply do not justify premium fuel.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
There have been more than one gas station caught using the lowest grade fuel for all three grades. Can't trust any of these mother fuckers.

x2!  Suckers!  :-*

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

That's why state agencies test the content.

Ive seen people busted by it.

aesthetics

• Getbig IV
  • ~lil' cutey~
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
only when accidentally  ;D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_19704_6-car-myths-that-cost-you-money-every-year_p2.html

Here they list 6 Car Myths That Cost You Money.  The number one myth is that “High-Octane Gasoline Is Better for Your Engine.”  Do you believe this?  Do you buy premium fuel?  I don’t.  I never have.  My car manufacturer says it’s required, but I have never bought premium fuel for any of my cars.  8)

Yes. My engine requires 91. We don't have that in Texas so I buy 93.
Don't believe bays Bullshit. If your car says 91, put 91<= in that bitch.
A

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
In 97% of cases premium fuel is totally unnecessary.  I'll pass.  ::)

I heard someone say that statistics posted on the Internet are usually pulled out of the poster's ass. You must feel pretty sore.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
Why buy a car with a high performance motor and give it less performing fuel?  Doesn't make sense.  Why not run the motor at full potential?

The manufacturer says you should put premium fuel in both of these cars.

High performance motors?  I think not.  ::)

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
 Yes on high octane fuel..

Vette 2009
Mercedes ssl550

Not worth taking the risk by putting cheap gas and causing possible damage to the motor

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
I heard someone say that statistics posted on the Internet are usually pulled out of the poster's ass. You must feel pretty sore.

Irony much? ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
Yes on high octane fuel..

Vette 2009
Mercedes ssl550

Not worth taking the risk by putting cheap gas and causing possible damage to the motor

Do you imagine this has ever happened to you?  :-X

I was thinking about this today at the gym, and I'm starting to think this is far more common than people think.  Remember, for station owners selling gasoline is a low margin business.  That's why they sell so many extras like soda, gum, candy, snacks, and all that other crap.  That's where they make money.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »

Irony much? ::)

No... that's not how irony works. It would have been ironic if I had said "97% of statistics posted on the Internet are usually pulled out of the poster's ass. You must feel pretty sore." Which is why I actually didn't say that.  ;)

High performance motors?  I think not.  ::)

It's not just an issue of performance; it's also an issue of efficiency. I know that you can't tell it's happening and don't feel any difference, but in reality the computer tracks engine performance using a multitude of sensors and adjusts A/F ratios, ignition timing and a host of other parameters to compensate for the lower octate rating of the fuel.

Feel free to pump whatever quality of fuel you want in your car. But don't use the argument that "I don't feel a difference and it's not needed" as an argument to convince others. Your feelings and your evaluations aren't arguments. They're opinions. And you should save yourself the embarassment of finding out just what those opinions are worth.

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »

Here they list 6 Car Myths That Cost You Money.  The number one myth is that “High-Octane Gasoline Is Better for Your Engine.”  Do you believe this?  Do you buy premium fuel?  I don’t.  I never have.  My car manufacturer says it’s required, but I have never bought premium fuel for any of my cars.  8)

I bought a few tankfuls of the expensive shit in my life..However, one would have to be foolish to buy high octane gas in this economy,

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
No... that's not how irony works. It would have been ironic if I had said "97% of statistics posted on the Internet are usually pulled out of the poster's ass. You must feel pretty sore." Which is why I actually didn't say that.  ;)

It's not just an issue of performance; it's also an issue of efficiency. I know that you can't tell it's happening and don't feel any difference, but in reality the computer tracks engine performance using a multitude of sensors and adjusts A/F ratios, ignition timing and a host of other parameters to compensate for the lower octate rating of the fuel.

Feel free to pump whatever quality of fuel you want in your car. But don't use the argument that "I don't feel a difference and it's not needed" as an argument to convince others. Your feelings and your evaluations aren't arguments. They're opinions. And you should save yourself the embarassment of finding out just what those opinions are worth.

Grade: F

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »
Do you imagine this has ever happened to you?  :-X

I was thinking about this today at the gym, and I'm starting to think this is far more common than people think.  Remember, for station owners selling gasoline is a low margin business.  That's why they sell so many extras like soda, gum, candy, snacks, and all that other crap.  That's where they make money.

Just thinking about it bay you made me cring

:'(

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »
I filled my X6 yesterday with 98 premium. It was the most expensive I have ever seen it AUST$1.69/litre
I think that is about $6.40/gallon

How much is premium in USA?

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »

I have tried that experiment several times over the years on my last two cars.  Maybe if I was a drag racer I would notice a significant difference, but in my day-to-day driving I find the difference to be negligible.

I can imagine scenarios with certain vehicles when one would want premium fuel for maximum performance.  Just as I can imagine a time when expensive premium wheels and tires would also make a difference, but do I need that performance difference often enough to justify the expense?  No.  And neither do 97% of drivers.

The speedometer in my car goes up to 180mph!  Am I ever going to drive that fast?  No.  I haven’t even gone half that fast in the last thirty days.  Similarly, I simply do not "need" the performance boost I could get from premium fuel.   ::)  I am quite happy with my car's performance without premium fuel.

Some time ago, I recall an undercover investigation by a program like 20/20 where they scoped out an independently owned gas station and found out that all three grades of gasoline were actually coming from the exact same underground tank, but the station was charging for the two higher octanes when, in fact, there was no difference among them.  I have no reason to think this is a common practice—in fact I am sure it is not—but I think the driving habits of most people simply do not justify premium fuel.

Many times i don't agree with you...Like when you talk about Apple Products..However, your spot on about this gas issue..

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
Many times i don't agree with you...Like when you talk about Apple Products..However, your spot on about this gas issue..

Thanks.  ;)

But can you be more specific about what you agree with?  That premium fuel is unnecessary for the vast majority of drivers/cars?  Or that lots of random station owners are charging for higher grades of fuel but really selling you the low grade and you don't even know it?

A few years ago when I was driving across country and filling up along the way I was thinking.... that to be sold in so many thousands of locations across the country and to work in so many different kinds of automobiles and engines (cars, generators, lawn mowers, jet skis, etc.) gasoline has to effectively be the exact same product no matter where it sold or who is selling it.  Too much variation and it wouldn't work in so many different engines.  I'm not saying there is zero benefit to premium fuel, but this whole issue reminds me of that line from the Da Vinci Code, "so dark the con of man."  :-[

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »

High performance motors?  I think not.  ::)
It has more to do with high compression ratios and tuning. It also allows for a cleaner burn.
A

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
It has more to do with high compression ratios and tuning. It also allows for a cleaner burn.

I'll be thinking about that the next time I see a Smart Fortwo filling up at the gas station.  :)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
I'll be thinking about that the next time I see a Smart Fortwo filling up at the gas station.  :)
how about just not worrying about.  ;D
 But seriously, fuck smart cars. Only people trying to be cute buys those shits. 34 city/38 hwy using permium? Lame.  Get about the same MPG, 1 more hwy 4 less city, buying a civic that runs on regular. Plus civics are bigger, and built better.
A

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
how about just not worrying about.  ;D
 But seriously, fuck smart cars. Only people trying to be cute buys those shits. 34 city/38 hwy using permium? Lame.  Get about the same MPG, 1 more hwy 4 less city, buying a civic that runs on regular. Plus civics are bigger, and built better.

That the Smart Car requires premium fuel underscores my point and makes a mockery of the notion that one needs premium for "performance engines."  It's practically a cartoon on wheels.  ::)