Author Topic: Bow flex dumbells  (Read 1418 times)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
Bow flex dumbells
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
Anyone own or use these?  I just moved to Toronto and was considering buying a set of weights for home use. I was looking at the York barbell set and came across an ad for bow flex. Has anyone used these? The space saving option sounds appealing but I read some reviews that the plastic in these are rather fragile. 

Your thoughts

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Bow flex dumbells
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »
they are shit if you ask me...

buy powerblocks... i have stage 1-2-3 and i love them...

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
they are shit if you ask me...

buy powerblocks... i have stage 1-2-3 and i love them...

Really? Aren't they more or less the same? Is the bow flex more flimsy?

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »
Call me old fashioned but I prefer the york threaded db handles. I have a set of the shorter ones where you can go up to 4 ten pound plates aside, and a set of loner ones that will hold 6 to 7 plates a side. The plates are cheap and you can buy them as you need them even at used spring goods stores.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
Really? Aren't they more or less the same? Is the bow flex more flimsy?

the adjusting knobs on the bowflex ones snap easily... powerblocks are almost unkillable (not a word, but makes my point)...

yev, those sound cool but can't be nearly as easy to use as powerblocks

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
I've used both and find them both cumbersome.  The Bowflex ones are really wide and awkward for some exercises.  The Powerblocks take some getting used to ergonomically.

I'd suggest trying them both out at a retail store before making a purchase.
:

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
Solid hexagon dumbells.

Thank me later......they`ll last forever.

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »
I'm going to try out some power blocks at a store in Toronto. I'm also searching on kijiji and criagslist for some old fashioned York barbell sets. Problem is I don't have a car yet so getting stuff back to my apt won't be easy. Maybe a cab if it isn't too far.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »
old skool  is the way to go... ;D
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
Ironmaster dumbbells are fantastic and quality made. They are like conventional dumbbells in a gym. You can buy ones that go up to 75, 120 or more. Powerblocks are good but you have to buy the stand that is included with Ironmaster. Powerblocks the weight I hear are dead on.  Ironmaster is a little off but it doesn't really matter.   I like the old fashion square Powerblocks they make in the USA. They still sell them. They look like quality. I didn't like the new ones made over seas.

Hex dumbbells are expensive if you go from pairs of 25 up to say 100 with the stands. I have them from 80 to 100. From 25 to 75 I just use a waist high table and threaded dumbbell bars and I make them.  It takes seconds to make a dumbbell with threaded dumbbell bars and a table with a pile of plates. You can get them from NY barbell on the web.  They make different lengths.