Author Topic: Obama Fluking the American People again: Internet Censorship  (Read 3244 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
White House follows EU’s lead with new Internet ‘rules of the road’
The Daily Caller ^ | 3/5/12 | Gene J. Koprowski

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:50:56 PM by ColdOne

This administration’s proposal asks Congress to codify the new rights, which include granting the federal government more police power. The Federal Trade Commission would be empowered with “direct enforcement authority” to ensure consumer data privacy, according to the strategy.

Overall, the Obama proposal includes seven principles to protect consumer privacy online, White House aides told reporters last week in a telephone briefing.

The proposed rules would also include an “enforceable code of conduct” that Internet companies would have to comply with, or face litigation or civil penalties, under the expanded FTC power. That agency’s power is currently more limited.

“A statute that allows the FTC to enforce the Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights directly would provide flexibility and permit the FTC to address emerging privacy issues through specific enforcement actions governed by applicable procedural safeguards,” the White House said in its report.

The Obama administration proposal “mimics” policy ideas being put forth in Europe, Darren Hayes, a computer forensics and security expert at Pace University in New York, told TheDC.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailycaller.com ...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Obama Fluking the American People again: Internet Censorship
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Any more exact details?  looks like privacy protection, not censorship

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
Any more exact details?  looks like privacy protection, not censorship

LOL - yeah - thats always the cover isint?  i'm here from the govt and here to help! 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »
White House follows EU’s lead with new Internet ‘rules of the road’
The Daily Caller ^ | 3/5/12 | Gene J. Koprowski

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:50:56 PM by ColdOne

This administration’s proposal asks Congress to codify the new rights, which include granting the federal government more police power. The Federal Trade Commission would be empowered with “direct enforcement authority” to ensure consumer data privacy, according to the strategy.

Overall, the Obama proposal includes seven principles to protect consumer privacy online, White House aides told reporters last week in a telephone briefing.

The proposed rules would also include an “enforceable code of conduct” that Internet companies would have to comply with, or face litigation or civil penalties, under the expanded FTC power. That agency’s power is currently more limited.

“A statute that allows the FTC to enforce the Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights directly would provide flexibility and permit the FTC to address emerging privacy issues through specific enforcement actions governed by applicable procedural safeguards,” the White House said in its report.

The Obama administration proposal “mimics” policy ideas being put forth in Europe, Darren Hayes, a computer forensics and security expert at Pace University in New York, told TheDC.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailycaller.com ...

Consumer data privacy? Sounds like fancy wording for "Anti-Piracy re-worded so people wont get so angry when we control the flow of information" to me.

Anytime something they want badly gets shot down,... something else that seems similar but with different wording comes out , and it usually winds up being the same thing. Only worded so our loss of rights seems more justifiable.

I dont see the government passing ANYTHING that gives people more internet privacy Ozmo, everything they do w/ regards to the net is trying to find ways to control info or content, or monitor our activity.
Be wary.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
Yeah, nothing that grants the Federal Government more "police power" on the internet is going to bode well for citizens privacy.

Wouldnt suprise me to find out that this is Sopa re-worded and wrapped up in a "privacy protection" theme.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
LOL - yeah - thats always the cover isint?  i'm here from the govt and here to help! 
true.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »
Consumer data privacy? Sounds like fancy wording for "Anti-Piracy re-worded so people wont get so angry when we control the flow of information" to me.

Anytime something they want badly gets shot down,... something else that seems similar but with different wording comes out , and it usually winds up being the same thing. Only worded so our loss of rights seems more justifiable.

I dont see the government passing ANYTHING that gives people more internet privacy Ozmo, everything they do w/ regards to the net is trying to find ways to control info or content, or monitor our activity.
Be wary.

Can you give some examples of what "internet rules of the road" entail in detail?

until then we are kind of debating in a vacuum dont ya think?  I just want exacts, not spin one direction or another.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
Can you give some examples of what "internet rules of the road" entail in detail?

until then we are kind of debating in a vacuum dont ya think?  I just want exacts, not spin one direction or another.

DOES: "WE HAVE TO PASS THE BILL FIRST TO SEE WHATS IN IT" - mean anything to you? 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »

Only thing im going on is in the article where it states that it will give the Federal Gov more "police power" (<---- actual quote from the article) over the internet.
Police Power and Federal government never combine to equal privacy for citizens in my book.

But yes, until we can read the whole thing, were arguing without the facts. Although, that has ever stopped us before.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
DOES: "WE HAVE TO PASS THE BILL FIRST TO SEE WHATS IN IT" - mean anything to you? 

we do?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
Only thing im going on is in the article where it states that it will give the Federal Gov more "police power" (<---- actual quote from the article) over the internet.
Police Power and Federal government never combine to equal privacy for citizens in my book.

But yes, until we can read the whole thing, were arguing without the facts. Although, that has ever stopped us before.

HAHAHAHAHHAAH

ok which side would you like me to take?   ;D

(i just want to see exactly what, that's all)

PS:  i realize what it states in the article, but that's a conclusion of the writer, i want to see exactly what they are doing to censor the internet.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
we do?

That is the stance of pelosi and obama and reid - so i wont trust these thugs with anything they claim to be in my best interests.  

99% obama has some corrupt donor lined up to make billions off of this all for a 38k donation.  

Thugbama works cheap.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
That is the stance of pelosi and obama and reid - so i wont trust these thugs with anything they claim to be in my best interests.  

99% obama has some corrupt donor lined up to make billions off of this all for a 38k donation.  

Thugbama works cheap.  

so we do or we don't?

can you back the that up?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
I think he's referencing some bill they were trying to pass, where one of them literally said that we would have to read the bill after we passed it. (not sure what the circumstances were)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »
The White House is following the lead of the European Union in advocating for new Internet privacy laws which put consumers’ interests ahead of those of cyber-businesses, policy analysts told The Daily Caller.

According to a report released last week by the Obama administration, Internet browser purveyors are using tracking technology to monitor consumers’ online behavior and lists of the websites they visit. That information is resold to marketers who send targeted, customized ads to the consumers’ computers or smartphones.

The new “Internet privacy principles” announced last week by the administration are intended to lead to new laws protecting the public from some privacy-averse policies of companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft and Facebook.

The “online privacy and data protection” laws are aimed at providing a shield to consumers in Europe from unsavory marketing practices, Hayes said. Legal journals in the U.S. have advocated the European approach for years, he said, claiming its regulations were more sophisticated than the “wild west” mentality that has prevailed in U.S. Internet culture since the 1990s.

The administration and observers are referring to the proposal informally as the “Do Not Track” measure.

But “’do not track’ really means ‘do not target’ because advertisers and websites can still collect all of your data like they did before,” said Sarah Downey, a lawyer with Abine, an Internet privacy company. “The difference is they can’t use that information to target you with personalized ads.”

Other experts, however, believe the government should not be involved in this area of the economy at all, and that consumers should continue to protect themselves online without Washington’s help.

“Not to put too fine a point on it, but the solution and problem is not technology,” explained Dr. Jacob D. Furst, director of the information assurance center at DePaul University. “It’s behavior.”

“To protect themselves,” Furst told TheDC, “consumers need to be smart about their online behaviors.”

He noted that nearly every online merchant already posts a privacy policy on its website. Many political sites — former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign website, for instance — also have such privacy policies.

Consumers should read these policies, Furst said, and if they don’t like what the site proposes to do with the data coming from their visits, they can go elsewhere.

“We must all be guardians of our own privacy,” he said. “If we don’t care enough to protect it, no government-sponsored program will do it for us.”

Some business leaders fear unintended economic consequences from the Obama administration’s proposal, which might extend far enough to hamper e-commerce by driving up the cost of doing business online.

“This aggressive move by the president may largely affect the cost for targeted ads online,” said Kenneth Wisnefski, CEO of the online ad agency WebiMax.

“For example, the cost of bids on certain keywords for targeted advertisements will most likely increase as consumers block certain advertisements,” he told TheDC. “This may actually drive up the cost for targeted ads in the long run.”

Google, Facebook, Yahoo and others “may get hurt from this as advertisers cut back their campaigns,” he added, “if their average CPM [cost per thousand ad impressions] is dropping significantly.”

The White House, however, strongly disagrees, seeing the issue as one of fundamental fairness to consumers.

“The Internet Bill of Rights is so important,” Obama said. “American consumers can’t wait any longer for clear rules of the road that ensure their personal information is safe online.