Author Topic: Old Men Strength.  (Read 24634 times)

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
Re: Old Men Strength.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
Apparently you don't have to try to be a jerk, you just are. Not sure why you feel the need to attack, likely because it is easy to do behind a keyboard.
I was trying to help, but, some are beyond that.
I don't need luck, you need more than that.
Perhaps we should compare our knowledge of the human body and performance?? Where did you attend med school? Residency and Fellowship??
If you believe what I said not to be true in the vast majority of the male population, well then, you should be educated, remember, ignorance is not a crime.
Sometimes it is better to let people wonder if you know what you are doing by keeping you mouth shut, when you open it, you remove all doubt that you in fact do not know much.

wow what a downer

why don't you take those scalpels and drop them in and around your wrists bro and put those degrees to work.
"

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
Apparently you don't have to try to be a jerk, you just are. Not sure why you feel the need to attack, likely because it is easy to do behind a keyboard.
I was trying to help, but, some are beyond that.
I don't need luck, you need more than that.
Perhaps we should compare our knowledge of the human body and performance?? Where did you attend med school? Residency and Fellowship??
If you believe what I said not to be true in the vast majority of the male population, well then, you should be educated, remember, ignorance is not a crime.
Sometimes it is better to let people wonder if you know what you are doing by keeping you mouth shut, when you open it, you remove all doubt that you in fact do not know much.

P.S. Fact is, with all the RIDICULOUS people on this board, spouting endlessly ignorant shit and launching mean-spirited personal attacks, I was perhaps overly defensive. Check out the thread prior to what I initially wrote you, after all. So yeah, I re-read what I did write, and fully recognize how crappy it sounds.

I hope you can understand and accept my apology.   

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
wow what a downer

why don't you take those scalpels and drop them in and around your wrists bro and put those degrees to work.

No, I took a first swing, and he deserved an apology from me.

Not that I agree in any way, shape or form that men who are strength conditioned cannot continue to set new strength PRs WELL into their 40s and 50s.

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
P.S. Fact is, with all the RIDICULOUS people on this board, spouting endlessly ignorant shit and launching mean-spirited personal attacks, I was perhaps overly defensive. Check out the thread prior to what I initially wrote you, after all. So yeah, I re-read what I did write, and fully recognize how crappy it sounds.

you melted down and paid your frustration with vascsurgeon?

on a side note. Whats your job? You are SO educated you must have a 401k job, right?

Boundary Breaker

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »
  Terrible reading comprehension from a dummy. Most Olympic sports involve explosiveness(sprinting, 100 meter free-style swin, hammer throwing, etc) or endurance(marathon running, etc) which peaks during a man's twenties. Guess that? I said explosiveness and endurance peak during youth.

And saying that endurance increases with age is beyond retarded. Endurance peaks during the early twenties. The reason why marathon champions are slightly older than that(udsually between ages 25-35) is because it takes many years of training to achieve the high level of performance of a professional marathoner.

You = stupid. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

You are completely ignoring the PED factor and assuming that older people are stronger due to "natural" reasons and not due to hormone usage. So how about we take a look at the average joe which does not compete and does not need to resort to ped usage in order to boost his strength and athletic performance past his natural limits.

Pounds the average man can bench-press one time: 160
Age (yrs)            20-29   30-39  40-49   50-59  60-69
Max. Weight (lbs)         180   158   143   128   116

There you go gimmick, check / mate. Max strength in natural males occurs in 20-29 range or specifically around 25. Now present evidence to the contrary (which you wont) or go on gimmikin.

http://www.elitefeet.com/are-you-an-average-man

By the way where is the video of your 605lb bench press at 250 lbs bodyweight, gimmmikon?
all drugs - TPPIIP

suckmymuscle

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »
You are completely ignoring the PED factor and assuming that older people are stronger due to "natural" reasons and not due to hormone usage. So how about we take a look at the average joe which does not compete and does not need to resort to ped usage in order to boost his strength and athletic performance past his natural limits.

Pounds the average man can bench-press one time: 160
Age (yrs)            20-29   30-39  40-49   50-59  60-69
Max. Weight (lbs)         180   158   143   128   116

There you go gimmick, check / mate. Max strength in natural males occurs in 20-29 range or specifically around 25. Now present evidence to the contrary (which you wont) or go on gimmikin.

http://www.elitefeet.com/are-you-an-average-man

By the way where is the video of your 605lb bench press at 250 lbs bodyweight, gimmmikon?

So according to you, 40 year olds who take steroids are stronger than 20 year old who take steroids and what explains that are the steroids? You are incredibly stupid. :-\

And the information you posted is easily proven wrong by the fact that most powerlifting records are broken by men much older than 20. Given the same number of training years, a 30 year-old is always stronger than a 20 year old and a 40 year old is always stronger than a 30 years old.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/29/health/la-he-nutrition-ensure-20110529

"In most people, muscle mass and strength peaks at age 40, says John Rathmacher, a research scientist who studies HMB at Metabolic Technologies Inc., a nutritional products company founded by Iowa State University researchers who conducted early studies on the compound. According to government data, 35% of U.S. adults 60 and older have moderate loss of muscle mass and strength. Some studies have shown that when adults reach their 70s, they may lose 2% to 4% of their muscle strength each year.

Rathmacher adds that HMB's appeal stems from the fact that it provides the benefits of leucine on a concentrated scale. "You'd have to consume 10 times the amount of leucine to get the HMB you need" to have an effect on muscle health, Rathmacher says.

Still, leucine is just one of many amino acids the body needs for strong muscles, Camire notes. She points out that the only proven way to prevent age-related muscle loss and weakening is to consume a diet with adequate calories and a variety of proteins while practicing strength training.

Supplements like HMB may seem like an easy shortcut to preventing muscle loss, she says, but they're not miracle products."

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
 So according to you, 40 year olds who take steroids are stronger than 20 year old who take steroids and what explains that are the steroids? You are incredibly stupid. :-\

And the information you posted is easily proven wrong by the fact that most powerlifting records are broken by men much older than 20. Given the same number of training years, a 30 year-old is always stronger than a 20 year old and a 40 year old is always stronger than a 30 years old.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/29/health/la-he-nutrition-ensure-20110529

"In most people, muscle mass and strength peaks at age 40, says John Rathmacher, a research scientist who studies HMB at Metabolic Technologies Inc., a nutritional products company founded by Iowa State University researchers who conducted early studies on the compound. According to government data, 35% of U.S. adults 60 and older have moderate loss of muscle mass and strength. Some studies have shown that when adults reach their 70s, they may lose 2% to 4% of their muscle strength each year.

Rathmacher adds that HMB's appeal stems from the fact that it provides the benefits of leucine on a concentrated scale. "You'd have to consume 10 times the amount of leucine to get the HMB you need" to have an effect on muscle health, Rathmacher says.

Still, leucine is just one of many amino acids the body needs for strong muscles, Camire notes. She points out that the only proven way to prevent age-related muscle loss and weakening is to consume a diet with adequate calories and a variety of proteins while practicing strength training.

Supplements like HMB may seem like an easy shortcut to preventing muscle loss, she says, but they're not miracle products."

SUCKMYMUSCLE

ignorin ped usage

go on gimmikin
all drugs - TPPIIP

suckmymuscle

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
ignorin ped usage

go on gimmikin

Lol..I wish that you could see yourself as I am seeing you right now. This is so embarassing...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »

Understood, and I agree with you about many members, when I have time I like to see what guys are thinking and saying around here, sometimes good stuff, many times, well........ you know.

I don't disagree, P.R.'s are possible, however, when you train as hard as possible for as long as possible, your #'s will go down as you approach 40 and for sure 50 if you are without PED's lifetime. PED's change all.
Just remember this: A sedentary male loses nearly 1lb of muscle mass per year after the age of 20!!
I understand we are not sedentary, but, keep that in the back of your mind, we are all fighting mother nature here. There are exceptions to be sure, but, how often???????
My experience is if you never weight trained until 30 yrs of age then it is way more likely to increase into your 40's but if that same person started at 15 their best lifts likely would have been before 30.
Hope this helps,
Regards Vasc.

UMPlabs

• Getbig II
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
I agree with suckmymuscle 100% for anecdotal reasons. Most of the misconceptions in this thread are people bringing up arguments about explosive movements, certain exercises, and even testosterone levels.

This strength that he is talking about is a different phenomenon. It is a functional strength. In the gym I am able to move some very decent numbers with the barbell and consider myself one of the stronger people out there. However, when I am placed in a more natural environment such as a scenario of moving heavy furniture or logs in the yard, my middle aged father is able to do just as much as I can and sometimes even more despite the fact that I can outlift him by a lot in the gym. For example, his grip strength far exceeds mine. I believe that fully matured muscle fibers coupled with a more developed CNS are big contributors to this.

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »
There is something to be said about the older you get, the stronger you get. Nevertheless, the clock is always ticking.

In powerlifting circles - some or many of the elite athletes are in their mid 30s when they peak. I have a few friends - who have passed on the torch - due to injuries and quadruple bypass surgeries (heavy drug usage) in their early 40s. However, from colleagues (non competing) i hear the upper limit is age 40, after which the game changes - even with vigorous training early on. So they adjust for it with different training protocols, primarily by reducing volume.

Apart from that -- the biggest factor that comes into play is hormonized vs. non hormonized at age.

Being hormonized at any age will give the athlete/average trainer -- an advantage that no 18 or 21 year old can touch. This allows for a few extra years in pushing the limits.

P.S. There is no natural bodybuilding or natural powerlifting, as much as most of us are led to believe.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
In general, from what I've seen both in users and naturals is, assuming they started lifting around high school years -

Olympic Lifting - Mid to late 20's are the best years. After about 30, speed, flexibility, etc...... are going.  A few years after that, there all but gone.

Strongman - 30's are the best years.

Powerlifting - 30's are the best years, if you look at the record books, most records are from guys in their 30's.

Thing is that in powerlifting, it isn't a giant drop off, if a person is smart and can schedule a decent amount of time around lifting. The killer in Powerlifting and most other hobbies is that life gets in the way. After about 10-15 years in the sport, most guys are burnt out, they've got jobs, families, etc..... that all take precedence over training, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Also a lot of guys are just beat up by the training, injuries as someone mentioned, stops guys. Lots of guys just want to settle into a nice mellow style of training.  

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Not that I agree in any way, shape or form that men who are strength conditioned cannot continue to set new strength PRs WELL into their 40s and 50s.

THIS

lmao@thinking 40 or 50 is old too.

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
THIS

lmao@thinking 40 or 50 is old too.
yeah....
like after a certain age a switch is turned off and one gets less strong , less fast... etc.. etc...
i am 32 .... feel just like i did when i was 23.... only difference is now i need my rest.... but when i get my 7 to 8 hours of sleep... i am g2g....
the changes do not happen THAT fast..... and a lot of age related problems can be overcome or slowed down with training.
and all these research on sedentary people... lol... ofcourse they wasted away ! USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
it is also very individual... some age faster then others....
and i will not even mention PED's ... lol... thanx to them we can be bb in our 50's!!!! and good bb!! gotta love chemicals!
 ;D ;D ;D

Be Happy,
Optimus

Wolfsanglerune

• Getbig II
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
i dont buy this peaking at 18-21.there are exceptions but i work with and see far too many scrawny weak or very overweight young men  now to believe this is true at all.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2012, 04:05:40 AM »
yeah....
like after a certain age a switch is turned off and one gets less strong , less fast... etc.. etc...
i am 32 .... feel just like i did when i was 23.... only difference is now i need my rest.... but when i get my 7 to 8 hours of sleep... i am g2g....
the changes do not happen THAT fast..... and a lot of age related problems can be overcome or slowed down with training.
and all these research on sedentary people... lol... ofcourse they wasted away ! USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
it is also very individual... some age faster then others....
and i will not even mention PED's ... lol... thanx to them we can be bb in our 50's!!!! and good bb!! gotta love chemicals!
 ;D ;D ;D

QFT

Sans the chemicals.  :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2012, 05:22:20 AM »
Great original post.

I would assume SMM has a 17 or 18 year old son?

As far as the truth to his statements, they do apply to me. I could have easily written that from my personal experience, and having an 18 year old son who lifts and thinks he's a badass from time to time and wants to challenge me.

I also have a grandfather, who at 86 years old lifted a double-gated redwood fence all by himself. Strong as an ox. I lifted and he didnt (as far as the gym was concerned)

He lived to be 96 and was still extremely strong with a vise-like grip. He did physical construction labor every day except Sunday. He stayed active. He ate healthy, slept well and didn't smoke.

He had a lot of attitude, but as an architect designer and construction worker, his work was always in high demand. He would even do his own cleanup at his construction sites (which most contractors are "too good" to do these days)

Empirical data is hard for some people to believe, but when you've lived it, who cares if anyone believes you or not?

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
Great original post.

I would assume SMM has a 17 or 18 year old son?

As far as the truth to his statements, they do apply to me. I could have easily written that from my personal experience, and having an 18 year old son who lifts and thinks he's a badass from time to time and wants to challenge me.

I also have a grandfather, who at 86 years old lifted a double-gated redwood fence all by himself. Strong as an ox. I lifted and he didnt (as far as the gym was concerned)

He lived to be 96 and was still extremely strong with a vise-like grip. He did physical construction labor every day except Sunday. He stayed active. He ate healthy, slept well and didn't smoke.

He had a lot of attitude, but as an architect designer and construction worker, his work was always in high demand. He would even do his own cleanup at his construction sites (which most contractors are "too good" to do these days)

Empirical data is hard for some people to believe, but when you've lived it, who cares if anyone believes you or not?
this..... and science is often wrong..... it is ever evolving... i mean only 500 years ago science said the earyth was flat....
copernicus was even killed because at the time he said it was a sphere... lol!
who says some years from now, it can be scientifically proven as to why older men are stronger...???
a lot of people here seem to think if science can't prove something it is therefore false.... yet a lot of these same people go to church on sundays to sing and pray to a god for wich science has no proof what so ever....
things that make you go mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......  ;)
Be Happy,
Optimus

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2012, 07:36:43 AM »
I`m stronger and feel better than ever...........if you don`t,start eating better,training harder,and get on the right gear or HRT.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »
  Because Getbiggers often have the reading comprehension of toddlers with ADHD, I should have qualified my statement more thoroughly.

Strength, properly defined in physical terms by the ability to generate force absolutely(without regards to time) peaks at the age of 40 for human males, give or take a few years.

Power, the ability to generate force per unit of time, peaks in the late twenties for human males, usually around ages 27 or 28, and stamina, the ability to sustain work, peaks very early usually in the early twenties.

A 40 year old men cannot throw a football as far as a 25 year old, or run a marathon in 2:30 hours like a healthy 22 year-old, because throwing a football involves power(acceleration = force X time) and marathon running involves sustaining work at which a 40 year old is far inferior to a youth.

But in pure strength, a trained 40 year old lifts heavier absolute weights than a 30 year-old, and much heavier weights than a 20 year-old.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
Understood, and I agree with you about many members, when I have time I like to see what guys are thinking and saying around here, sometimes good stuff, many times, well........ you know.

I don't disagree, P.R.'s are possible, however, when you train as hard as possible for as long as possible, your #'s will go down as you approach 40 and for sure 50 if you are without PED's lifetime. PED's change all.
Just remember this: A sedentary male loses nearly 1lb of muscle mass per year after the age of 20!!
I understand we are not sedentary, but, keep that in the back of your mind, we are all fighting mother nature here. There are exceptions to be sure, but, how often???????
My experience is if you never weight trained until 30 yrs of age then it is way more likely to increase into your 40's but if that same person started at 15 their best lifts likely would have been before 30.
Hope this helps,
Regards Vasc.

All I know is, I am, as said, a natural 42-year-old man, who has been lifting since the age of 15, and I am now enjoying the best gains of my life. My brute strength seems to be snowballing with every passing 6 months. Sure, I require more recovery (having said what this implies, I also am considerably more capable of doing damage to myself, so ... ), but as someone else said, when I am rested, fed and warmed, I crush numbers I wouldn't have conceived 10 years ago.

It is worth pointing out that I have never been married (thankfully), never smoked a cigarette (pot, anything), never been drunk (or to this point, never really even drank alcohol at all), do not have children (thankfully), have always eaten well, come from VERY sturdy genetic stock (mostly Viking in ancestry), and I have FIERCE determination (have never stopped lifting in about 27 years).

Take all this how you will.    

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2012, 03:43:12 PM »
its always cool to find an Asgardian who posts on getbig. ::)
Boundary Breaker

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2012, 03:48:25 PM »
its always cool to find an Asgardian who posts on getbig. ::)

Thanks Voland!