Author Topic: Obama vs Romney  (Read 70809 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Obama vs Romney
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 05:51:48 AM »
Obama seeks to tie Romney to former President Bush’s economic policies
By Amie Parnes - 04/17/12 05:00 AM ET

www.thehill.com

President Obama and his surrogates are making repeated references to the economic policies of former President George W. Bush, seeking to tie Mitt Romney’s platform to that of the previous administration.

Team Obama argues the Romney campaign is advocating tax and economic policies that would repeat the problems that put the country into recession, exacerbate income inequality and prevent middle-class Americans from getting a “fair shot.”

At a speech last week at Florida Atlantic University, Obama—without mentioning Bush by name — sought to link tax policies put forth by Romney and other top Republicans to Bush, drawing a distinct us-versus-them contrast.

“We tried this for eight years before I took office — we tried it,” Obama said to roaring applause from the college crowd. “It’s not like we didn’t try it.”

Obama went on to explain that “at the beginning of the last decade,” with Bush at the helm, the wealthiest Americans got two huge tax cuts while financial institutions were “allowed to write their own rules or find their way around rules.”

“We were told the same thing we’re being told now — ‘This is going to lead to faster job growth,’ ” Obama continued.

“ ‘This is going to lead to greater prosperity for everybody.’ Guess what? It didn’t.”

Obama and Vice President Biden’s recent remarks on Bush come as the former president his vice president, Dick Cheney, have re-entered the political scene in recent days.

Speaking at a forum in New York last week, Bush acknowledged that he wished that his tax cuts were given a different name.

“I wish they weren’t called the Bush tax cuts,” the former president said. “If they’re called some other body’s tax cuts, they’re probably less likely to be raised.”

Separately, Cheney lambasted Obama as “an unmitigated disaster” for the country in a speech to the Wyoming Republican Party state convention.

Linking Romney to Bush has both risks and rewards for Obama, who trailed Romney 47 percent to 45 in Gallup’s first national daily tracking poll, released Monday. 

Many voters continue to blame Bush for the country’s rocky economy, something reflected in an AP-Gfk poll from December that found 43 percent of voters surveyed said the former president deserved much of the blame for the country’s economic woes.

“To some, ‘Bush’ is a pejorative term and something Obama can use to rile up the base,” said Martin Sweet, a visiting assistant professor of political science at Northwestern University.

Julian Zelizer, a professor of history and public affairs at Princeton University, said it might be helpful to connect Romney’s economic policies to Bush. “He wants to be able to say this is round 2 of George W. Bush, and that his policies support big business and wealthy Americans. And the Bush tax cuts are the clearest symbol of that.”

Yet more than three years after Bush left office, observers also warn that Obama can’t blame the previous administration for his handling of the economy. 

“Obama has to be careful that it doesn’t seem like irrelevant campaign rhetoric,” Zelizer said.

Republicans say that’s exactly what they’re hearing from Obama.

Kirsten Kukowski, a press secretary for the Republican National Committee, predicted that the rhetoric will “fall flat.”

Campaigning against Bush didn’t work for Democrats in 2010, she pointed out: “I don’t see why it would work two years later.”

Still, attacks on Bush could resonate more in a presidential election than in congressional elections. And Romney has benefited from endorsements from several members of the Bush family, a fact that ties him more closely to the former president.

Obama has never been shy about criticizing Bush.

Since taking office, he has reiterated that he’s been busy cleaning up “somebody else’s mess,” taking an obvious jab at his predecessor.

“Yes, the rich got much richer, corporations made big profits,” he said of the Bush years during the speech at Florida Atlantic. “But we also had the slowest job growth in half a century. The typical American family actually saw their incomes fall by about 6 percent … healthcare premiums skyrocketed. Financial institutions started making bets with other people’s money. … And then our entire financial system collapsed. You remember that?”

In a campaign speech in New Hampshire last week in which he mentioned Bush by name six times, Biden made the Bush-bashing much more explicit.

Romney, Biden argued, comes from the upper class and so identifies with Bush’s economic policies. Biden added that the likely GOP nominee favors that the “Bush tax cuts … be made permanent for the wealthy.”

Bush-bashing was a big part of Obama’s campaign message from 2008, which focused on the change the country needed after eight years of the previous administration.

That message worked four years ago, which is why observers say Obama’s campaign is making a second go of it.

“He’s going back to the well again to see if it works again,” Sweet said. “But as the old adage goes, if you go to the well too many times, eventually, you come up empty.”

WWWTTTFFF!!!! 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2012, 06:01:52 AM »
Obama campaign 2012 baby- Blame Congress 1st, blame Bush 2nd. Yes we can!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »
Obama campaign 2012 baby- Blame Congress 1st, blame Bush 2nd. Yes we can!

Still blaming Bush - how utterly ridiculous. 

And what plan does this moron think he is going to get through that is going to work in the next 5 years when he has already shown he cant work w the congress? 

Anyone anyone anyone???? 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2012, 06:25:48 AM »
Still blaming Bush - how utterly ridiculous. 

And what plan does this moron think he is going to get through that is going to work in the next 5 years when he has already shown he cant work w the congress? 

Anyone anyone anyone???? 
Like I said in the other thread - his plan is to convince the American people that we need to vote him a Democrat majority congress and re-elect him so that he can fix America, as there are to many republicans in Congress and theyre blocking him from saving us.

And I bet people will eat it up. "He's right! Is not his fault, the Republican Congress has failed him! Fuck congress, he's right! Theyre the ones blocking his greatness from being achieved!!"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »
LOL   - are you voting for obama over mittens?   Don't answer - we already know.   
'

i'm voting for Romney over obama.  This is the 2nd time I'm answering you on this Q.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
I'm voting for Obama.

Suck it.

G

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
I'm voting for Obama.

Suck it.

"Strike up the band."

Another shut-in creeper who thinks people care about him on here. How droll.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
I fought for your right to vote.

How about some respect?

G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2012, 08:57:39 AM »

How about some respect?

I respect your service and tried giving you a lot of lee way as you endlessly trolled me.  However, your service aside for which you should be thanked, you are a troll. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Axelrod: Gallup poll has 'methodological problems'

byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer

David Axelrod, President Obama's top campaign strategist, responded to Gallup polls showing Mitt Romney leading the president by criticizing the pollster.

"Gallup is saddled with some methodological problems," Axelrod tweeted today. He also directed Twitterati to a column arguing that Gallup polls showing Romney in the lead "has a sample that looks much more like the electorate in 2010 than the voting population that is likely to turn out in 2012."

Gallup released a poll this morning showing Romney leading Obama 48 percent to 43 percent. Gallup showed Obama leading Romney throughout most of March.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
Axelrod: Gallup poll has 'methodological problems'

byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer

David Axelrod, President Obama's top campaign strategist, responded to Gallup polls showing Mitt Romney leading the president by criticizing the pollster.

"Gallup is saddled with some methodological problems," Axelrod tweeted today. He also directed Twitterati to a column arguing that Gallup polls showing Romney in the lead "has a sample that looks much more like the electorate in 2010 than the voting population that is likely to turn out in 2012."

Gallup released a poll this morning showing Romney leading Obama 48 percent to 43 percent. Gallup showed Obama leading Romney throughout most of March.

LOL, already trying to discredit poll results? Sounds worried to me.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2012, 02:54:52 AM »

How about some respect?

Dont worry about respect from this retard to get it you have to suck repub dick its not worth it

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »
New Polls Show Romney Surging And Then Surging More
Michael Brendan Dougherty | 25 minutes ago | 228 | 4

Just in the past week we've seen polls showing Mitt Romney get to a two and five point lead over Obama, a stunning turnaround.

Now a CNN/Orc poll finds that Romney's "favorable" rating, which just took one hit after another earlier in the year, is surging:

Forty-four percent of people questioned in the survey say they have a favorable view of the former Massachusetts governor, up 10 points from February, during some of the most heated moments of the GOP primaries and caucuses. Forty-three percent say they have an unfavorable opinion of Romney, down 11 points from February. Thirteen percent are unsure.

This is an enormous turnaround, indicative of the fact that the fractious primaries are over, Republicans who were holding onto a grudge against Romney are letting go and embracing him.

Obama still has a much higher "favorable" rating: 56 percent. But Romney is rapidly rising to the challenge.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/new-cnnorc-poll-shows-romney-surging-and-then-surging-more-2012-4#ixzz1sOiWMQut

The left is already going into meltdown on HP, DU, NYT and other sites seeing that Obama is going to go home in november and their dreams of a communist totalitarian nanny state might have been thwarted.   

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 06:24:27 AM »
Do you set an alarm clock so that you can squeeze in 18 hours of copy and paste per day?

G

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2012, 06:25:30 AM »
Do you set an alarm clock so that you can squeeze in 18 hours of copy and paste per day?

It seems like whenever he posts you're right behind him. Stalking from 15,000 miles away. O-b-s-e-s-s-e-d.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2012, 06:30:31 AM »
It seems like whenever he posts you're right behind him. Stalking from 15,000 miles away. O-b-s-e-s-s-e-d.

They just hate the fact that people are now just openly mocking the failed messiah. 

People like gaybear, lurker, straw, blacken, etc, really believed that the election of obama was some magic, transformative, earth changing event that would usher in ponies and unicorns for everyone.  Now that the reality has hit that the faux messiah is being openly mocked and laughed at for his incompetence and ignorance is too much to bear for them. 

This is why i give Hugo credit.  He was one of them in 2008, but he has also been very honest along the way in seeing the reality of the situation.  Sadly - I don't see such honesty from the true believers who still think that fauxbama is going to deliver us to some mystical promised land.     

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2012, 06:34:11 AM »
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) “Whether you’re liberal, whether you’re very conservative, you ought to be excited [about Romney] because he’s been on your side at one time or another.”
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2012, 06:35:47 AM »
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) “Whether you’re liberal, whether you’re very conservative, you ought to be excited [about Romney] because he’s been on your side at one time or another.”

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »
Actually, it's pretty tough to keep up because my girl is over today and we've been having quite a bit of sex. (This is a real girl, not one that I created so people would think I was cool on the internet.)

Also, I have something called 'a job'.

Try Googling that one as it's a pretty abstract idea and I don't have time to break it down for you right now.

G

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:06 AM »
New Polls Show Romney Surging And Then Surging More
Michael Brendan Dougherty | 25 minutes ago | 228 | 4

Just in the past week we've seen polls showing Mitt Romney get to a two and five point lead over Obama, a stunning turnaround.

Now a CNN/Orc poll finds that Romney's "favorable" rating, which just took one hit after another earlier in the year, is surging:

Forty-four percent of people questioned in the survey say they have a favorable view of the former Massachusetts governor, up 10 points from February, during some of the most heated moments of the GOP primaries and caucuses. Forty-three percent say they have an unfavorable opinion of Romney, down 11 points from February. Thirteen percent are unsure.

This is an enormous turnaround, indicative of the fact that the fractious primaries are over, Republicans who were holding onto a grudge against Romney are letting go and embracing him.

Obama still has a much higher "favorable" rating: 56 percent. But Romney is rapidly rising to the challenge.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/new-cnnorc-poll-shows-romney-surging-and-then-surging-more-2012-4#ixzz1sOiWMQut

The left is already going into meltdown on HP, DU, NYT and other sites seeing that Obama is going to go home in november and their dreams of a communist totalitarian nanny state might have been thwarted.   

He'll got a surge now that he's going to be the nominee and he'll get another one at the GOP convention.  However, he's going to drop pretty fast.  The GOP is hesitant to vote for him, the South won't vote for a Non-Christian, and ultimately I think he's going to lose very badly
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2012, 06:42:48 AM »

He'll got a surge now that he's going to be the nominee and he'll get another one at the GOP convention.  However, he's going to drop pretty fast.  The GOP is hesitant to vote for him, the South won't vote for a Non-Christian, and ultimately I think he's going to lose very badly

You 95ers are so fucking clueless.   its all about ABO  - get it A B O - Obama is a disaster and is the worst president this nation has EVER had. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »

Bingo.

What sweet irony that the religious right, and all its associated bigotry, is so capable of imploding on itself.
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2012, 06:47:39 AM »
You 95ers are so fucking clueless.   its all about ABO  - get it A B O - Obama is a disaster and is the worst president this nation has EVER had. 

I'll be voting for Obama...

...and there's nothing you can do about it.

G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »
Bingo.

What sweet irony that the religious right, and all its associated bigotry, is so capable of imploding on itself.

Gay marriage failed in California in 2008 because homophobic blacks voted it down.  Where were you on that gaybear?