Author Topic: 50 extra grms of redmeat protein a day or supp, s?  (Read 2568 times)

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
50 extra grms of redmeat protein a day or supp, s?
« on: November 03, 2005, 01:52:46 PM »
Just 1/2lb of 97% groundbeef, Extra 50 grms of protein a day. Guess what i put size on and increased strength on all my lifts. So are supplements used as a crutch for most people when we have foodstores filled with muscle building foods?
Thaiboxing,Bjj

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: 50 extra grms of redmeat protein a day or supp, s?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 03:12:08 PM »
That's a very interesting "study" you've conducted.  I don't think your theory is valid- in spite of the nutritional benefits of red meat, it doesn't parallel supplementing with simple Glutamine, Creatine, BCAAs, and whey.  It's not like it's a budget killer to anyone to powders of all of the above.

I do agree with your point, supplements such as Gaspari's Superpump250 (which works phenomenally, i might add) are often used as a crutch.  In spite of possible benefits of these, they are not nearly worth the 100+ bucks you usually have to shell out each month to stay consistent with them.  Often these "super-supplements" become a crutch and a financial burden.  I don't believe that you can apply this statement to all supplements in general, however.
:-)

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 04:04:33 PM »
agreed, food should always be first and foremost.
But even at 97% lean, an everyday hamburger diet is not something I would do every day of the year.  Take that into consideration when you realize that most people who use protein powder do use it every day. Not as a crutch, but as a neccessity. There's certain nutritional requirements that can be met with food, but are often more easily met with supplements.

Bear - what did you notice from superpump 250??

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 07:29:16 PM »
I did mean the specialty supplements only, excluding protein powders and vitamin, mineral, healthy fats
Thaiboxing,Bjj

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 05:01:32 PM »
I go with meats for my protein, I cant afford consistent supps.  I go for a high protein meal redmeat for instance.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 09:36:35 AM »

Bear - what did you notice from superpump 250??

noticed several things, including super pumps (ha, ha....nothing? not even a titter?)  And improved gains in spite of a reasonably low-carb and low-calorie intake (2500 cals, 250 g carbs).  I noticed it most on leg days, where i was able to have 90-minute workouts of insane intensity. 

I maintain, however, that it is not worth the 60 bucks i paid for it every three weeks. 

If you want roid-results, buy roids.  Otherwise, i'm all for the inexpensive but tried-and-true supps.
:-)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 10:25:22 PM »
Just 1/2lb of 97% groundbeef, Extra 50 grms of protein a day. Guess what i put size on and increased strength on all my lifts. So are supplements used as a crutch for most people when we have foodstores filled with muscle building foods?

IMO,

Supplements should only be bought to save money and time, and also due to their convenience.

I used to be of a different opinion, but I've changed my mind.

Regular food is complete, supplements are not.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise