Author Topic: What is more expensive to maintain? BMW, Lexus or Mercedes  (Read 93437 times)

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
Re: What is more expensive to maintain? BMW, Lexus or Mercedes
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 05:56:43 AM »
The Lexus will only cost you oil changes, tires, filters and brakes. It will run perfect for many years. The BMW will be in the shop constantly. The Mercedes is like throwing your money out the window for routine maintenance.

I had Toyota that had one repair in 17 years for a water pump. The basic routine maintenance I did myself. I sold that car and the kid driving it had put on so many miles without any trouble. The Lexus is a fancy Camry. It should run perfect if you just change the oil with Mobil one every 5K.

I wouldn't call lexus a fancy Toyota, in the past yes, but not anymore ;)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 06:13:15 AM »
I wouldn't call lexus a fancy Toyota, in the past yes, but not anymore ;)
Ha...hey Kev, instead of the new GS, my aunt got the RX (she's calming down as she gets older, lol)

if you don't maintain any car, they will go. I know of a woman who didn't maintain her Lexus ES300, she was at the dealership, talking about how unreliable it was---well she never "reliably" changed the oil...

That being said, Lexus has made a name for itself in terms of reliability and customer service.

Benz had a issue a few yrs back, and my mother has a Benz (no real issues), and customer service at the dealership is not as good as Lexus. BMW---well, they have 4 yr/40,000 mile warranty for a reason (people will trade that car in after the warranty is up)

I like my Lexus IS, and I will keep it (it's paid off), so one may think me as a Lexus fanboy, but all the Marques have great products---it's just that Lexus had made it a priority in terms of reliability. BMW has made it a priority in terms of mixing sport and luxury. And Mercedes and Audi have made it a priority in terms of luxury with a little bit of sport, and better reliability than BMW.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 06:16:29 AM »
True story..

A coworker of mine went to a local mechanic to get his 2009 Lexus worked on and the mechanic gave him a sweet deal, stating that all internal parts of a Lexus are practically interchangeable with basic Toyota parts.

If this is true, then the choice is obvious..

"1"

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
True story..

A coworker of mine went to a local mechanic to get his 2009 Lexus worked on and the mechanic gave him a sweet deal, stating that all internal parts of a Lexus are practically interchangeable with basic Toyota parts.

If this is true, then the choice is obvious..

"1"
Depends on what Lexus it is...if it is the ES, whch is a reskinned, re-interiored Camry, then yeah...or the hybrids which are versions of the Prius and Corolla
The RX maybe, but I think the GS, IS, LS share no real internal parts with other Toyota models (other than the 3.5 liter engines), I could be mistaken...but, there will be a number of parts that come from the Toyota parts bins. Just like Audi and VW or a number of Ford and older Aston Martin cars and GM and Cadillac...
The parent company will have the other company share some parts due to cost effectiveness---read, "it's cheaper to share".

Omega

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 06:30:55 AM »
Never use a stealers. Use a good independent mechanic and buy the parts from the dealers.
I have had both a Lexus and currently the BMW M3. Lexus is bullet proof, its been passed down in the family it is that good a runner. Not a single problem and the same with the M3. As long as they are looked after and maintained then there should be no problems. The BMW is definitely more expensive to run and maintain but also the more powerful of the two.

Pretty much if it didnt need doing I would have it done, thats how pedantic I am with my cars. They are all well looked after and maintained regardless of cost.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
Between a BMW, Mercedes, and a Lexus?

You can maintain a Pre 2000 (maybe a little later even) BMW or Mercedes for absolutely nothing.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Re: What is more expensive to maintain?
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 06:53:03 AM »
Honestly don't get any of them. The repairs will kill you. I got a Mercedes C230. The repairs are pretty expensive. The first time I took it to the stealership they charged me 65$ for a windshield wiper blade that wasn't even broken. A car is not an investment. It depreciates immediately. You are better off investing in land. Find a gently used car driven by an older couple and be content with the money you saved.

The problem is that you took it to the dealership, are you crazy? haha!!!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
I dont have any of those but I have an 2003 Acura tsx and at 191K miles in still runs perfect... only had to replace the the radiator cause i ran over a deer carcass , was bottled in btw 16 wheelers on both sides going 80 mph.
L

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »
Honestly don't get any of them. The repairs will kill you. I got a Mercedes C230. The repairs are pretty expensive. The first time I took it to the stealership they charged me 65$ for a windshield wiper blade that wasn't even broken. A car is not an investment. It depreciates immediately. You are better off investing in land. Find a gently used car driven by an older couple and be content with the money you saved.
^^
Lexus is WAY cheaper than the German cars...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:39 AM »
^^
Lexus is WAY cheaper than the German cars...

Lexus....  ::)

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
Lexus....  ::)

LMAO.

Mercedes and BMW.  ::)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »

What's that picture of?  The inside of your moms Nintendo or something?  ???

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »
A real engine. Toyota 2jz-gte. But judging your lack of knowledge, you probably don't even know what a real engine is.  :D

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
Nice try uploading the Toyota engine from many years ago guys!!  So funny... ::)

This is a LEXUS engine-

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
New Ferrari 6.3 V12 8)

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
You can maintain a Pre 2000 (maybe a little later even) BMW or Mercedes for absolutely nothing.

horseshit

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »
i don't believe a damn post in this thread until parker posts.  my friend has a 2007 c230 and it runs like kitten.  i think she basically gets oil and filter every 6 mths or so, and that's it.  WTF is up with all these maintenance posts?

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »
get an Alfa

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
I can give Parker a run for his money when it comes to cars. ;D

Here's the thing, all three of those brands aren't cheap when it comes to servicing. Dealership isn't the way to go unless car is still under warranty. Parts are the only thing expensive given if you take your car to a 3rd party shop. However, German cars are more complicated to work on and less reliable than Japanese cars, there is no way around that. Yes, there are a lot of euro cars without any problems but stats don't lie. Main problems are usually electrical, window regulators, if you lucky, lol, but can be more serious. Mechnicals are usually good. In the past worse, but much better. Lately BMW cars are affected by thier fuel pumps for the turbocharged cars. Mercedes have been good lately compared to the early 2000's. Audis have improved but usually rank lower than mb and BMW. The three car brands are not bad but if you are keeping pass warranty I would still worry because of past problems and reputation.

Omega

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
What's that picture of?  The inside of your moms Nintendo or something?  ???

Supra engine dickhead

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
That inline 6 turbo motor would make even BMW jealous. ;D one of the greatest engines ever made right next to nissans rb26 ;)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »
Between a BMW, Mercedes, and a Lexus?

Our Lexus GS has been extremely reliable!  Easily the most reliable car we have ever owned.  Maintenance costs are consistent with the brand but not unduly high.  The same cannot be said of BMW and Mercedes.  Having said that, buy what gives you pleasure and what you can afford.  If you are worrying about whether or not you can afford to maintain a particular car then you already know: you cannot afford it.

Luxury cars are for people with lots of disposable income and/or people without children.  If you have little ones, buy something modest and put the difference into your kid's college fund.  They will thank you for it later . . .  and so will I.  8)

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
I can give Parker a run for his money when it comes to cars. ;D

Here's the thing, all three of those brands aren't cheap when it comes to servicing. Dealership isn't the way to go unless car is still under warranty. Parts are the only thing expensive given if you take your car to a 3rd party shop. However, German cars are more complicated to work on and less reliable than Japanese cars, there is no way around that. Yes, there are a lot of euro cars without any problems but stats don't lie. Main problems are usually electrical, window regulators, if you lucky, lol, but can be more serious. Mechnicals are usually good. In the past worse, but much better. Lately BMW cars are affected by thier fuel pumps for the turbocharged cars. Mercedes have been good lately compared to the early 2000's. Audis have improved but usually rank lower than mb and BMW. The three car brands are not bad but if you are keeping pass warranty I would still worry because of past problems and reputation.

You have the advantage, ownership to some nice rides and access  ;D

and you are always on point, as usual...

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »
BMW for sure
X2 I wrecked the mofo but remember the maintenance bills.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »
A real engine. Toyota 2jz-gte. But judging your lack of knowledge, you probably don't even know what a real engine is.  :D
Mercedes had a good Inline 6 in their 300CE, knew a woman who got a early 90s one, mint owned by a elderly couple...still looks good today.

Many people are going and buying the old Lexus LS400s, Infiniti Q45s, the BMW E34 5 series, the BMW E39 5 series. These were all cars that were built solid. Good build records, reliability...even the old BMW E30 3 series.

The late 80s to early 90s seems to be the best era of modern day German/Japanese luxury vehicles.