Author Topic: best overall protein powder  (Read 20879 times)

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: best overall protein powder
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 03:10:57 PM »
Many of us aren't really in a position to buy three different protein powders for various situations.

Yup.

bodybuilder821

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 03:37:27 PM »
Personally, I believe it should be about quality first. Overall the best jug of protein I have ever bought is called "respect" by PRIDE NUTRITION. 47 grams of pure whey isolate, micellar casein and egg albumen. Check out their website at www.pridenutrition.com... They don't cut any corners by using whey concentrate or any other inferior fillers. It tasts great too. My girlfriend even likes to drink it, and you know if a women with no interest in the bb/fitness lifestyle is willing to drink protein shakes, they have got to taste good.

DYA

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 03:54:28 PM »

Yup.

You need a blended protein powder throughout the day (milk,egg, whey).

You need whey only post workout or pre/post workout, preferably an isolate/hydrolosate blend.

you don't 3 different powders, you need your all purpose blend and a post workout formula

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 04:06:09 PM »
You need a blended protein powder throughout the day (milk,egg, whey).

Let's assume for a moment that I take a scoop of whey protein every hour during the day.  Do I NEED a blended protein powder in that case?

You need whey only post workout or pre/post workout, preferably an isolate/hydrolosate blend

So whey is ineffective if I take it any other time of the day ouside of pre/post workout? 

you don't 3 different powders, you need your all purpose blend and a post workout formula

I NEED an "all purpose blend" and a "post workout formula"?  Um, maybe if ALL you're going to consume every day is protein powder, and thus don't eat meat, drink milk, eat cottege cheese, eggs, etc. and can't have a whey protein shake very often throughout the day.

Negative05

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 05:40:13 PM »
I hate to be the one to break to this to you Blake....but if you have trouble getting a whey protein shake during you work or school day then you are going to have MAJOR issues getting bigger and stronger.  A protein shake is the fastest and easiet way to get your protein when you don't have much time. 

Ok, enough flaming you hehe.  Go to Wal-Mart and get a bottle with a flip top spout.  You will use this to drink your shake between classes our on breaks at work.  Just put the protein in the cup, add water (water fountain? lol), and shake it up.  Drink.

Now get a thermo lunch box from Wal-mart and 2 ice packs.  Pack your lunch (turkey sandwich on wheat, potato, pasta, oranges, bananas, canned tuna, etc.) and supplements (aminos, glutamine, creatine, vitamins).  Make sure you get one large enough for 3 meals.  Keep this with you pretty much all the time.  Your muscles do not give a shit if you are working or at school or wherever.  They demand food to grow.

Once you do this for about 3 weeks it will become a habit and won't be such a pain in the ass.  It will be like brushing your teeth.

What else? OH!  Stick to full range squats, bench presses, deadlifts and other barbell exercises in the 6 to 8 rep range.  Use decent form and control your weights.  Do not miss too many workouts.

There you go!  Now you have the possibility of growing muscles.  If this is too much then be happy being small and weak. 

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2005, 06:23:44 PM »
I hate to be the one to break to this to you Blake....but if you have trouble getting a whey protein shake during you work or school day then you are going to have MAJOR issues getting bigger and stronger.  A protein shake is the fastest and easiet way to get your protein when you don't have much time. 

Ok, enough flaming you hehe.  Go to Wal-Mart and get a bottle with a flip top spout.  You will use this to drink your shake between classes our on breaks at work.  Just put the protein in the cup, add water (water fountain? lol), and shake it up.  Drink.

Now get a thermo lunch box from Wal-mart and 2 ice packs.  Pack your lunch (turkey sandwich on wheat, potato, pasta, oranges, bananas, canned tuna, etc.) and supplements (aminos, glutamine, creatine, vitamins).  Make sure you get one large enough for 3 meals.  Keep this with you pretty much all the time.  Your muscles do not give a shit if you are working or at school or wherever.  They demand food to grow.

Once you do this for about 3 weeks it will become a habit and won't be such a pain in the ass.  It will be like brushing your teeth.

What else? OH!  Stick to full range squats, bench presses, deadlifts and other barbell exercises in the 6 to 8 rep range.  Use decent form and control your weights.  Do not miss too many workouts.

There you go!  Now you have the possibility of growing muscles.  If this is too much then be happy being small and weak. 

ROFL!
I take it you couldn't sense the sarcasm in my previous responses to DYA.  I'm the one saying it's fine to ingest whey protein multiple times a day amongst the other protein sources one consumes.  It's the others like DYA and Carmello that believe you MUST buy a more expensive "blended source" protein powder in order to make teh "massive gains". 

And what's with all the other general "bodybuilding" recommendations included in your post?  I guess you haven't seen any other posts of mine in the steroids, training, or nutrition section.   :)   ;)

Negative051

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2005, 06:52:29 PM »
Whoops!  I thought you were being serious.  What do you think of my bodybuilding tips though?  I am all natural, for the moment, muhahaha

TheBigAristotle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2005, 08:14:19 PM »
Respect protein by Pride Nutrition
260 calories
3.5 grams fat
9 grams carbs
47 grams protein

Protein: Blend of CFM Whey Isolate, Micellar Casein,Egg Albumen
-Has EFA's,CLA,Flax
-Digestive Enzymes
-Glutamine,Arginine,Ornithine

Doesn't taste half bad either. But the greatest thing it that I no longer get any gas or bloat, which is the main reason why I like it so much.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2005, 01:15:33 AM »
Beside Post-workout, and pre-workout, Whey protein is also excellent in the mornind, when you first wake up. Your body has not had anything all night, and 20-30 grams of fast digesting whey is good to have, before you make your first solid meal for the day.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005, 04:19:43 AM »
Let's assume for a moment that I take a scoop of whey protein every hour during the day.  Do I NEED a blended protein powder in that case?

So whey is ineffective if I take it any other time of the day ouside of pre/post workout? 

I NEED an "all purpose blend" and a "post workout formula"?  Um, maybe if ALL you're going to consume every day is protein powder, and thus don't eat meat, drink milk, eat cottege cheese, eggs, etc. and can't have a whey protein shake very often throughout the day.

a) Different types/fractions of proteins offer different benefits.  This makes the ingestion of a blend a good thing.

b) The slower digesting proteins result in a greater net retention of ingested protein.  That is also a good thing because the whole point of ingesting a supplemental protein product is to increase the amount of protein our body retains on a daily basis.  Whey only products are the LEAST effective in terms of net retention.

c) Different protein products have varying levels of quality.  For instance, what percent protein by weight is the product?  Whey is not whey, and protein is not protein.  There are products on the market that do NOT meet their label claims.  This includes some of the "biggest" brands out there. 

w

Steeljunky

• Getbig II
  • D's...Nuts
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 06:02:11 AM »
Worst...advice....ever.....

::)

I agree, over priced and tastes like crap.

Call me BigPapa

Booze Bot

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 09:33:28 AM »
Without doubt its Nirto Tech, this awesome supplement gives me the protein i need to fill my muslces after super charged workouts, i have put 78 lbs on my bench press just 4 seconds after taking nitro tech and gained 44lbs of rock hard muscle. Did i mention the low low price of just 600 bucks a serving?

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2005, 10:04:03 AM »
a) Different types/fractions of proteins offer different benefits.  This makes the ingestion of a blend a good thing.

b) The slower digesting proteins result in a greater net retention of ingested protein.  That is also a good thing because the whole point of ingesting a supplemental protein product is to increase the amount of protein our body retains on a daily basis.  Whey only products are the LEAST effective in terms of net retention.

c) Different protein products have varying levels of quality.  For instance, what percent protein by weight is the product?  Whey is not whey, and protein is not protein.  There are products on the market that do NOT meet their label claims.  This includes some of the "biggest" brands out there. 

Thank you Chris. a) and b) was all i was trying to let these guys know. So much for trying to help people here. Maybe they'll listen to u.
CEA999

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2005, 11:24:41 AM »

Good post, Chris, and I certainly agree with what you've stated.  Again, the remarks that you quoted were sarcasic.  I was mainly playing devil's advocate in response to other remarks that were posted.  That's why I was capitalizing the word "need".  In talking about supplements (granted you can argue whether or not protein powder is truly a "supplement") nothing is NEEDED IMO. 

Anyhow, I think many of us can agree that the "best" type of protein powder depends largely on what the intended purpose is.  Meal replacement?  Pre/Post workout only?  Pre-bedtime? Etc, etc......  Because obviously a completely hydrolyzed whey will not be the greatest choice for a meal replacement versus a slower digesting blend, for example.

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2005, 02:00:24 PM »
My personal choise is Matrix 5.0 by syntrax, it's a protein blend, with some added glutamine peptides(though I can't find an indication that states how much peptides per serving).
It's also very sweet, but if that's your thing, i would highly recommend it.
of course ON's whey is a good choise, but as stated in above posts a protein blend is far superior than a whey only product.

Peace
D

P.S.: quit all the insulting and bitching.Arguing is fine, though.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2005, 05:44:05 PM »

Good post, Chris, and I certainly agree with what you've stated.  Again, the remarks that you quoted were sarcasic.  I was mainly playing devil's advocate in response to other remarks that were posted.  That's why I was capitalizing the word "need".  In talking about supplements (granted you can argue whether or not protein powder is truly a "supplement") nothing is NEEDED IMO. 

Anyhow, I think many of us can agree that the "best" type of protein powder depends largely on what the intended purpose is.  Meal replacement?  Pre/Post workout only?  Pre-bedtime? Etc, etc......  Because obviously a completely hydrolyzed whey will not be the greatest choice for a meal replacement versus a slower digesting blend, for example.

I firmly believe that a blend of whey, casein, and egg is about as good as it gets for ANY purpose.

I am not saying this to be argumentative, it is simply what I believe based upon what I have learned over the years with respect to protein ingestion. 
w

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »
I will say that I've seen evidence (and I believe this as well to some personal effect) that whey alone can have a relatively significant impact on insulin levels. Some say whey alone after workouts is actually more beneficial than whey+ carbs post workout. I don't completely agree with this, but I've never bought into the 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein in a post workout shake. From my experience with 100% whey, I've found that a post workout shake ratio of 1:2-2.5, carbs to protein is more ideal.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2005, 10:59:48 AM »
I'm just feeling the need to add this....I just bought, really to sample, a little bit of Optimum's Rocky Road flavored 100% whey.  I shit you not, it tastes exactly like S'mores poptarts.  It is, without a doubt, the best tasting protein powder i have ever had.
:-)

loler

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2005, 11:48:45 AM »
I'm just feeling the need to add this....I just bought, really to sample, a little bit of Optimum's Rocky Road flavored 100% whey.  I shit you not, it tastes exactly like S'mores poptarts.  It is, without a doubt, the best tasting protein powder i have ever had.

How does it compare to double rich choco

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2005, 07:12:51 AM »
How does it compare to double rich choco

well, given that it's "the best protein powder i have ever tasted" i would say it's better.  If you like that marshmallow flavor, of course.

tommyguns

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2005, 07:59:30 AM »
My two cents on the best protein is the stuff by Beverly.  They are tough to beat on quality and taste, but I concede that they are more expensive than some of the others.

The Ultimate Muscle Protein is their newest, and it's a protein blend.  The cookies and cream flavor is awesome!  On a lean gain diet, I'll use it, and add some heavy cream for my fat intake.  As I understand it, the heavy cream provides pure fat without any sugar, it makes the stuff taste even better, and it further slows the absorption of the protein into the body, making this ideal for a meal before bedtime.

The Ultra Size from Beverly mixes easier than the UMP, and it's also a blend.  The vanilla tastes great.  One nice thing about the Ultra Size is that it's extremely convenient to use if you don't want to make a shake.  I'll put some in a bowl and slowly mix in some water with a spoon until it forms a pudding consistency.  Add some whipping cream (or flax) and eat it with a spoon while watching TV or at work.  Nice for a change of pace.  You can also add sugar free flavored syrups if you get tired of the same flavors (e.g., Da Vinci syrups).

The Muscle Provider that Beverly makes is their whey product.  It's very low in carbs, and so people usually switch to that when they are in the final 6-8 weeks of contest prep.  I don't think it tastes quite as good, but it's not bad.  I'll usually put that into a blender and add a few frozen strawberries.  With the final weeks of contest prep, the awesome heavy cream is removed, and I'm stuck with flax or fish oil.  Contest prep sucks on so many levels!  MP is also popular as a post-workout shake with a bunch of fast acting carbs (e.g., their Mass Maker product).

$$$ is always an issue, but since protein is the base substrate (w/o gear, at least), if you're gonna blow money on one of your supplements, doing it with your protein source may not be a bad idea.  Having said that, if you can't afford it, buy an affordable protein blend and make sure you're getting about 1-2 grams per pound of lean mass per day.  I shoot for 1.5 g/lb/day.

halinsmm

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2005, 12:45:01 AM »
i prefer isopure. costs about $35 for 3 lbs at vitamin shoppe. tastes really good and has 50g protein per serving

loler

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2005, 02:32:51 AM »
well, given that it's "the best protein powder i have ever tasted" i would say it's better.  If you like that marshmallow flavor, of course.

mixed with milk or water?

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2005, 08:03:03 AM »

either.  milk is obviously better, but i was really surprised at how damn good it tastes in water too.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2005, 07:54:47 PM »

water, always.  Why would you mix pre-digested proteins with non pre-digested ::)  ::)
just not good enough