Author Topic: P.I.P MCA of Beastie Boys  (Read 11069 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: P.I.P MCA of Beastie Boys
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
MCA was a vegetarian my friend.

Really? perhaps his sedentary lifestyle killed him

i know if i changed my lifestyle and retired early it would surely let dormant cancer cells thrive and kill me within a few years, I highly doubt he mowed his lawn or did much exercising
A

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 04:57:12 PM »
Man this is sad news to me.

RIP
?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »
Yeah, he had the best voice for that band. Not a huge fan but still sad to hear.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
Really? perhaps his sedentary lifestyle killed him

i know if i changed my lifestyle and retired early it would surely let dormant cancer cells thrive and kill me within a few years, I highly doubt he mowed his lawn or did much exercising

Maybe cancer just doesn't give a fuck.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
ask not for whom the bell tolls bros

this will be all of us someday.

nothing you can do about it except live a good life and be kind to others.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
MCA was good for the band since Ad Rock and Mike D has similar voices.   MCA was a deeper and more mature sounding voice that added contrast.   

Blasted Fight for your right to party in the gym tonight.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
nothing you can do about it except live a good life and be kind to others.

As if it matters.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
P.I.P.

One of the greats.

8)

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 01:24:50 AM »
&sns=em [/youtube]

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 01:47:02 AM »

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 06:09:36 AM »
x2

X3, not my type of music, but PIP... Too young..

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
R

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
One of my favs.

RIP :(
trippy video when i was a kid
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »

Enlarge Photo

Adam Yauch
Ads by Google
Westchester Coupons
1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off Westchester's best!
www.Groupon.com/Westchester-County
STORY TOPICS
Other
Adam Yauch
Mca
Barack Obama
Paul Revere

FOLLOW US ONFACEBOOKQUESTION OF THE DAY
President Obama is calling the 2012 presidential election “a make-or-break moment for the middle class." Do you agree?
Yes
No
Undecided
Other
Login to Vote
View results

COMMENTS (35)
RECOMMEND
TWITTER
LINKEDIN
READ LATER
EMAIL
PRINT
TEXT SIZE: +| -
MORE SHARING SERVICESSHARE
ANALYSIS/OPINION:

This column is about politics. Today, it’s not. Still, there’s Watergate, Paul Revere, Edward R. Murrow, fighting for your right, so, kinda still.

Adam Nathaniel Yauch died Friday. If you’re age 16-66 — maybe 106 — you know him as MCA, one-third of the Beastie Boys. He was 47. Way too young. But gone.

Now, half-white Barack Obama (exactly my age) didn’t say a word, even though he was talking to college kids that day, but make no mistake, MCA was no JayZ or Kanye West. This guy was the real deal, groundbreaker, up from his bootstraps, Brooklyn boy made good. Funny the “coolest president ever” doesn’t say a word about the passing of MCA. Weird and kinda sad, actually.

“Yauch was born an only child in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Frances, a social worker, and Noel Yauch, a painter and architect,” Wikipedia says. “His father was Catholic and his mother was Jewish.” Kinda like Barack, all over the place, half this, half that, and a tough life ahead from the outset. But nothing from the first half-white, half-black president (MSM has made him black — he’s not; he’s half-and-half. No, Trayvon Martin wouldn’t have looked like his son.)

The boys, the Beastie Boys, started out as a thrash hard-core punk band in ‘79, at the tail end of the movement. The Sex Pistols, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, 999, were lighting up America, banging CBGB, 930 Club, every stop on the scene. But the Boys were on the tail end of the punk movement and were looking for a new sound (they definitely weren’t going new wave).

But wait: Rap didn’t really exist yet, but hip-hop was just starting. Could three Brooklyn boys do THAT? Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC and LL Cool J were rocking the mic. Maybe these white boys could deliver.

So, “Licensed to Ill.” “Three Idiots Create a Masterpiece,” Rolling Stone said after the LP’s release. Oh, and the album happened to include one little song: “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)” — a rock anthem seared in the heart of every 16-year-old bristling for freedom.

Then they toured with Madonna. Really. That was when I first saw them. Some girls I knew said, “Hey, wanna’ see Madonna?” I was all, “Uh, no!” Then they said, “Opening are some guys called the, uh, Beastie Boys?” I was there. Even though the 13-year-old girls packing the arena were horrified — horrified — the Boys blasted it out.

In 1994, Mr. Yauch rocked the bass on “Sabotage.” “Ahhhhh, I can’t stand it, I know you planned it, I’m gonna set it straight, this Watergate, I can’t stand rocking when I’m in here, ‘cause your crystal ball ain’t so crystal clear.” And just like that — wham! — punk and hip-hop were fused together forever. The song also features one of the top three all-time rock screams, perhaps even a close second to Roger Daltry in “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

The news of MCA’s death reverberated around the world. SiriusXM went live with a tribute, featuring regular joes calling in to recount their first encounter with the band (a remarkable number of 19-year-olds called in; they weren’t even born when the Boys started out). My own daughter, a college freshman, was distraught. “How am I supposed to study when one of the Beastie Boys died. Now I’ll never get to live my dream of seeing them!”

Rockers, celebrities, football coaches — even politicians — took a moment to remember MCA. “RIP MCA U are a Legend and a pioneer. #BeastieBoys4life,” Snoop Dogg wrote. “RIP Adam Yauch,” tweeted Kevin Smith. “You made my teenage years more fun and your art made it easier for me to do what I do. For a Beastie, you sure were a beaut.” “Friday afternoon playlist all Beasties: No Sleep Til Brooklyn, So What’cha Want, Hey Ladies, Intergalatic, Sabotage,” tweeted Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz.

Mike Doughty remembered, too: “1994: Yauch storms the podium at the VMAs, doesn’t get thrown off as fast as he thought, and blurts, ‘Um … and Star Wars was my idea!’ ” Even Sen. Chuck “Facetime” Schumer, New York Democrat, weighed in with his own hip-hop tribute: “Born and Bred in Brooklyn, U.S.A., they call him Adam Yauch, but he’s M.C.A.”

Mr. Obama is said to have 2,000 songs on his iPod, but he’s never mentioned the Beastie Boys. Too bad. He could learn so much from them. Still can.

“The true key is a trust in self, For when I trust myself, I fear no one else, I took control of my life, just as anyone can, I want everyone to see it’s in the palm of your hand, The past is gone, the future yet unborn, But right here and now is where it all goes on.” RIP MCA.

• Joseph Curl covered the White House and politics for a decade for The Washington Times. He can be reached at jcurl@washingtontimes.com.

© Copyright 2012 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

mantronik

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
Sad news. To the plus, they made Paul's Boutique at a time when they could actually sample all that stuff.

My favorite from that album (Paul's Boutique)

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 10:22:41 PM »
^^^ I was just playing that song off youtube right now, I really regret not having seen them in concert, plus they  came to this city so many times. I swear my stomach gets real weird when I think of him being gone, I gotta burn one down to help forget this.
?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
Damn shame, seemed like a decent fella in and out of the biz.

RIP.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »
Saw the beasties in concert in 1983, at a place called Dimensions in Smithtown, NY....the heart of suburbia....

MCA yelled "mvtherfukers!!!!" and jumped off the stage, arced beautifully in the air, and landed head-first on the floor with a thud....not one person went to catch him.

He didn't realize that the kids he was playing for had no clue what a stage dive was, and thought Duran Duran were "edgy"..what a rock and roll moment  8)

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
^^^ Shit!
?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »
Enlarge Photo

Adam Yauch
Ads by Google
Westchester Coupons
1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off Westchester's best!
www.Groupon.com/Westchester-County
STORY TOPICS
Other
Adam Yauch
Mca
Barack Obama
Paul Revere

FOLLOW US ONFACEBOOKQUESTION OF THE DAY
President Obama is calling the 2012 presidential election “a make-or-break moment for the middle class." Do you agree?
Yes
No
Undecided
Other
Login to Vote
View results

COMMENTS (35)
RECOMMEND
TWITTER
LINKEDIN
READ LATER
EMAIL
PRINT
TEXT SIZE: +| -
MORE SHARING SERVICESSHARE
ANALYSIS/OPINION:

This column is about politics. Today, it’s not. Still, there’s Watergate, Paul Revere, Edward R. Murrow, fighting for your right, so, kinda still.

Adam Nathaniel Yauch died Friday. If you’re age 16-66 — maybe 106 — you know him as MCA, one-third of the Beastie Boys. He was 47. Way too young. But gone.

Now, half-white Barack Obama (exactly my age) didn’t say a word, even though he was talking to college kids that day, but make no mistake, MCA was no JayZ or Kanye West. This guy was the real deal, groundbreaker, up from his bootstraps, Brooklyn boy made good. Funny the “coolest president ever” doesn’t say a word about the passing of MCA. Weird and kinda sad, actually.

“Yauch was born an only child in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Frances, a social worker, and Noel Yauch, a painter and architect,” Wikipedia says. “His father was Catholic and his mother was Jewish.” Kinda like Barack, all over the place, half this, half that, and a tough life ahead from the outset. But nothing from the first half-white, half-black president (MSM has made him black — he’s not; he’s half-and-half. No, Trayvon Martin wouldn’t have looked like his son.)

The boys, the Beastie Boys, started out as a thrash hard-core punk band in ‘79, at the tail end of the movement. The Sex Pistols, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, 999, were lighting up America, banging CBGB, 930 Club, every stop on the scene. But the Boys were on the tail end of the punk movement and were looking for a new sound (they definitely weren’t going new wave).

But wait: Rap didn’t really exist yet, but hip-hop was just starting. Could three Brooklyn boys do THAT? Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC and LL Cool J were rocking the mic. Maybe these white boys could deliver.

So, “Licensed to Ill.” “Three Idiots Create a Masterpiece,” Rolling Stone said after the LP’s release. Oh, and the album happened to include one little song: “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)” — a rock anthem seared in the heart of every 16-year-old bristling for freedom.

Then they toured with Madonna. Really. That was when I first saw them. Some girls I knew said, “Hey, wanna’ see Madonna?” I was all, “Uh, no!” Then they said, “Opening are some guys called the, uh, Beastie Boys?” I was there. Even though the 13-year-old girls packing the arena were horrified — horrified — the Boys blasted it out.

In 1994, Mr. Yauch rocked the bass on “Sabotage.” “Ahhhhh, I can’t stand it, I know you planned it, I’m gonna set it straight, this Watergate, I can’t stand rocking when I’m in here, ‘cause your crystal ball ain’t so crystal clear.” And just like that — wham! — punk and hip-hop were fused together forever. The song also features one of the top three all-time rock screams, perhaps even a close second to Roger Daltry in “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

The news of MCA’s death reverberated around the world. SiriusXM went live with a tribute, featuring regular joes calling in to recount their first encounter with the band (a remarkable number of 19-year-olds called in; they weren’t even born when the Boys started out). My own daughter, a college freshman, was distraught. “How am I supposed to study when one of the Beastie Boys died. Now I’ll never get to live my dream of seeing them!”

Rockers, celebrities, football coaches — even politicians — took a moment to remember MCA. “RIP MCA U are a Legend and a pioneer. #BeastieBoys4life,” Snoop Dogg wrote. “RIP Adam Yauch,” tweeted Kevin Smith. “You made my teenage years more fun and your art made it easier for me to do what I do. For a Beastie, you sure were a beaut.” “Friday afternoon playlist all Beasties: No Sleep Til Brooklyn, So What’cha Want, Hey Ladies, Intergalatic, Sabotage,” tweeted Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz.

Mike Doughty remembered, too: “1994: Yauch storms the podium at the VMAs, doesn’t get thrown off as fast as he thought, and blurts, ‘Um … and Star Wars was my idea!’ ” Even Sen. Chuck “Facetime” Schumer, New York Democrat, weighed in with his own hip-hop tribute: “Born and Bred in Brooklyn, U.S.A., they call him Adam Yauch, but he’s M.C.A.”

Mr. Obama is said to have 2,000 songs on his iPod, but he’s never mentioned the Beastie Boys. Too bad. He could learn so much from them. Still can.

“The true key is a trust in self, For when I trust myself, I fear no one else, I took control of my life, just as anyone can, I want everyone to see it’s in the palm of your hand, The past is gone, the future yet unborn, But right here and now is where it all goes on.” RIP MCA.

• Joseph Curl covered the White House and politics for a decade for The Washington Times. He can be reached at jcurl@washingtontimes.com.

© Copyright 2012 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Must you make everything about politics?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2016, 08:46:29 PM »
John Berry, founding Beastie Boys member, dies aged 52

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/20/john-berry-dead-founding-beastie-boys-member?CMP=fb_gu

Guitarist was part of the original punk band the hip-hop outfit sprang from, and coined the group’s name before leaving after the release of their first EP

John Berry, one of the founding members of the Beastie Boys, has died aged 52. The musician’s father told Rolling Stone that Berry had died on Thursday in a hospice in Danvers, Massachusetts, after his frontal lobe dementia condition had worsened in recent months.

Although the Beastie Boys rose to fame as a hip-hop three-piece, they originated as a hardcore punk band called the Young Aborigines in 1978, featuring Berry, Michael “Mike D” Diamond, Adam “MCA” Yauch and Kate Schellenbach. Berry, the band’s guitarist, left shortly after the release of their first EP, Polly Wog Stew, and was replaced by Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz.

Berry’s tenure in the group lasted for less than a year but he was an instrumental part of their formation: Yauch, Diamond, and Horovitz have credited Berry with coming up with the group’s name, while his apartment on Manhattan’s Upper West Side served as the venue for the first Beastie Boys shows.

Berry went on to perform with a number of other bands including Bourbon Deluxe, Highway Stars, Big Fat Love, and Even Worse.

The group mentioned his contribution in a speech during their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2012. Horovitz, who read the speech, gave a dedication “to John Berry [and] to John Berry’s loft on 100th Street and Broadway, where John’s dad would come busting in during our first practices screaming, ‘Would you turn that fucking shit off already?’”

In 2014, Mike D has said that the group had been unable to stage live shows or record new music since the death of Adam Yauch of cancer two years earlier.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2016, 09:24:59 PM »
Was my favorite Beastie

RIP!
Q

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
The White Castle Shy's
Are droppin' like flies.
These Brooklynese Sheens
May be said to have been.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2016, 09:55:47 PM »
RIP

Hope they can get over their grief and come together one last time for a final album...