Author Topic: Refusing to Sign  (Read 4986 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Refusing to Sign
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »
Ok fair enough.  And if this is a Christian University I can understand the desire to have employees that adhere to Biblical principles. 

But I don't remember seeing any scripture against "drinking in public."  Also "requiring faculty to be members of a local church" makes you wonder what they are going to institute next as a requirement.

I was a member of a ministry that instituted non-scriptural "rules" regarding the education of the clergy.  The vast majority of us "defected."

There are scriptures that talk about drinking, but I don't recall seeing any that talk about drinking in public either.  Although, I don't think codes of conduct at religious institutions necessarily track things that come directly out of the Bible.  I think if you look at most codes at religious schools that actually have them and enforce them, they're pretty strict and often include things like drinking, premarital sex, etc. 

There was a kid out of BYU who was suspended for a year for having sex with his girlfriend.  This was a couple years ago?  Might have been discussed on the board somewhere? 

I think what it really comes down to is government staying out of the business of religious institutions and letting them enforce their rules and conduct as they see fit. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 07:49:40 AM »
why do you think religions are created today? why are all the religions at least the major ones the only ones not called cults? don't you find it odd that your stories contain magic and were written by ignorant humans? does scientology not strike you as outlandish?

A multitude of reasons but mainly imo because those creators have not yet had a conversion experience with Jesus Christ.

Not sure what you mean here.  Why are they not referred to that way by the general populace?  Could be because people have different definitions of what "cults" are. 

Not really, no. (wouldn't really use the term magic but I think I know what you mean)

Yes, and also dangerous if what I have read about it is true.
R

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
I have a solution for a man who doesn't want to recognize that Jesus Christ is his personal savior - burn him.
G

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »
I have a solution for a man who doesn't want to recognize that Jesus Christ is his personal savior - burn him.

What are you talking about? These things never happened.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:29 AM »
A multitude of reasons but mainly imo because those creators have not yet had a conversion experience with Jesus Christ.

The creators of this new religion would say it's you who hasn't had a conversion experience with their their particular deity.

Not really, no. (wouldn't really use the term magic but I think I know what you mean)

Off the top of my head, in Exodus, Aaron and Moses have a throwndown with the Pharaoh's magicians. Staffs turn into snakes, and crazy stuff happens. Sounds pretty magical to me.

Yes, and also dangerous if what I have read about it is true.

Now now, those are just your Thetans talking ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »

Now now, those are just your Thetans talking ;D

My Thetans fly Business Class!

R

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor