Author Topic: Moral Absolutes  (Read 4690 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Moral Absolutes
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:30:28 AM »
Are there any for us?

If so, from where do you think they come?

R

fitt@40

• Getbig II
Re: Moral Absolutes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »
Are there any for us?

Our morals can be summed up by two points:

-Love God with all of your heart, mind and soul
-Love thy neighbor as thou self

Of course we are Scripturally instructed to do these things.  One can argue as to whether or not they are absolutes.  I  would say they are absolutes, but with a touch of Grace.  We are to be absolute is our devotion to God, but he also knows our heart.  Sometimes the flesh betrays us, but the heart is always true.  A good example of this is when Peter denied Christ three times.  There is no doubt that in his heart he loved Jesus, but fear and weakness of the flesh caused him to deny Him.

I'm curious to read your opinion about moral absolutes.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:43 AM »

Of course we are Scripturally instructed to do these things.  One can argue as to whether or not they are absolutes.  I  would say they are absolutes, but with a touch of Grace.  We are to be absolute is our devotion to God, but he also knows our heart.  Sometimes the flesh betrays us, but the heart is always true.  A good example of this is when Peter denied Christ three times.  There is no doubt that in his heart he loved Jesus, but fear and weakness of the flesh caused him to deny Him.

I'm curious to read your opinion about moral absolutes.

fitt@40,

"You are not far from the kingdom of God." Mark 12:34      :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »
Good comments Fitt@40 thank you!

I believe that yes, we have moral absolutes.

I believe that they ultimately come from God.
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:26:38 AM »
Absolutely.  :)  I can think of several:

- Honoring your parents.
- Being faithful to your spouse.
- Caring for your family. 
- Protecting children. 

And a harder one (for some):  developing and using your God-given talents to help others. 

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
don't harm children
be faithful to your lover/spouse

other than that, FTW before it does it to you

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
Are there any for us?

your parents!

looks like only fitt understood the question.

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »

"You are not far from the kingdom of God." Mark 12:34      :)

It is important to know and understand the next sentence that follows this scripture.  It reads, "And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions."  I have had discussions with some who believe that this was said because the people felt as though they could not trap Jesus.  In fact, Jesus had asked them, "Why are you trying to trap me?"  I believe that they (the people questioning Jesus) also realized exactly what I realized when I read Christ's words.  If you love God with all of your heart, mind, soul and strength and if you love your neighbor as yourself, everthing in your life will be as it should.  That does not mean that you will have life free of pain and tribulation.  It does mean that through it all, you should never lose sight of God.  There have been times in my life whereby I did not know how I was going to make it through a situation.  I have learned that those are the times that we must get closer to God through prayer and fasting.  One would think that this is what every Christian would do, but it is surprising as to how many professed Christians do not do this.  I must admit that it took me so time to learn this too.  May God Bless you all.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 03:22:40 AM »
Good comments Fitt@40 thank you!

I believe that yes, we have moral absolutes.

I believe that they ultimately come from God.

That means that if your deity, decided on a whim, to change things around, and said that murder and theft were good things, they would definitionally have to be classified as 'good'.
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 02:03:24 AM »
Are there any for us?

What is morality? Mostly, what is called morality is a collection of rules inspired by different geographical, historical and social conditions. In one place it’s immoral to show an ankle, while in another it’s quite moral to appear half-naked. In one place, it’s immoral for a man to look at a woman’s face, while in another he must agree to spend the night with his host’s wife, and so on. Obviously, none of that has anything to do with true morality.

For initiates, morality is the sum of laws inscribed by cosmic Intelligence in the human organism, at the core of the cells of a person’s organs, and anyone who does not respect these laws is destroyed psychically and physically. So the origin of morality lies in humans themselves. When you study the matter from this point of view, you notice there is an absolute morality, valid for the whole world. You cannot play around with it, and there are no arguments you can use that justify immorality. And since it lives within humans, true morality cannot be destroyed. When you break any of its laws, it shows you no mercy.
w

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:41:18 AM »
Morals developed yonks ago so that we could live toghether in caves.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »

That's basically a summation of the Ten Commandments.

"Love God with all of your heart, mind, and soul" (Commandments I through IV)
"Love thy neighbor as thyself" (Commandments V through X).

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »
Are there any for us?

dont murder
dont rape
dont steal
dont hit the child safety on your car window and fart while girlfriend is in car

the world is a better place for me having prescribed that

the end
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
Bump.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 08:03:01 PM »
An important element of discussions on morality ought to include the basic questions, such as, for example, "What is morality?" Sadly, such discussions almost always skip this question and simply presume some magical, ethereal force called morality actually exists, after which people argue over what is moral and what isn't.

I encourage everyone to attempt to come up with an adequate definition; I suggest that it is impossible and therefore, there is no such thing as morality. There are shared feelings we have (many of which we share due to our evolutionary history) about certain events, e.g., killing someone for no apparent reason, but not an additional later of reality characterized as "moral" and "immoral."

Just because this magical realm doesn't exist doesn't mean people, when armed with this knowledge, will go around raping people. We have a conscience due to the evolution of morality (or, rather, the evolution of a bunch of shared feelings towards specific events) that will continue to regulate how we behave all the same.