Author Topic: hip, hamstring, calf, lower back - flexibility  (Read 5019 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
hip, hamstring, calf, lower back - flexibility
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
I need to work on this, badly, but traditional stretches don't seem to be working, which leads me to believe I have some sort of weakness.

For example, i can't keep my toes even close to straight ahead when doing a squat. if i try, it feels like my kneecaps are going to be ripped off (laterally).  I can go very deep (below parallel), but my toes are pointing externally towards a 45 degree, or wider, angle, and I can feel my legs externally rotating.  Also, unless I have much 135 lbs on my back, I cant squat, seriously.  I almost fall forward every time, because i can't keep my heels down.  Now, i can do reps into the 400 lbs range with ease on squats, but I know that, as I approach 30,  i need to address these issues.  I was a sprinter into college, and we have a reputations (at least us white sprinters do) of being very tight through the whole pelvic girlde and below. thoughts, please. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: hip, hamstring, calf, lower back - flexibility
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »
i squat duck footed...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
...traditional stretches don't seem to be working...

I'm not sure what you consider "traditional," so I'll list some stretches you may wish to try if they're ones you haven't already:

Piriformis stretching

Piriformis Release

Glutes - Piriformis Muscle Stretch

Pirtormis Iliotibial Band muscle stretch

Iliotibial Band (ITB) Stretch

How to stretch the psoas......myofascially!

Standing Psoas Stretch

Foam Roller Exercise Video

Cressey Performance Foam Roller Series

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:49:39 AM »
I was a white sprinter too in college. I swear by semi stiff deadlifts off a block that allows a good stretch. I go all the way down slowly until the bar brushes the top of my feet. I use a block high enough so the 45lb plates don't hit the floor. On the warm ups and first few reps I proceed slowly until I can get all the way down for my reps.

Almost everyone squats with their feet pointed out somewhat. I use to try to keep my feet straight but lookin at various elite olympic lifters who are the king of deep squats they almost always have their feet pointed outward. The only type of squat I do with my feet straight is a machine type squat. I use a tuffstuff brand. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
Almost everyone squats with their feet pointed out somewhat.

Almost like many/most trainers' knees extending beyond their toes when squatting.
There are so many "sources" that warn against the "dangers" of that practice. Yet, many people's biomechanics simply do not permit this recommended form.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »
I've recently started overhead squats...I can feel an intense stretch in those areas while doing them. Try it with an empty bar and see how it feels.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »
Two notes to note: I was a brown-ish football player in college...and.... Been semi associated with a Yoga center for many years and do recommend  Hatha stretches and holds highly. If any secret to common stretching it would be holding the stretch position (30 seconds or more..something you build up to) and also relaxing at the same time. A few may require a 2 to 3 minute hold.

Montague offers excellent video's to learn from. Might need some personal instruction when starting out though.

Trying to position the toes straight ahead is not the smartest of ideas. When standing  relaxed, just notice the position of the toes/feet and keep that in mind for your next squatting workout, with perhaps a little wider stance. Why the need to have the toes straight out in the first place, I wonder? If using an extra wide stance, the glutes/hips/hams will be getting more focus. Starting as a warm-up movement, this can offer an excellent means to a full stretch.

If wanting to do regular exercise's, and not the above one's mentioned, than might suggest the Romanian DL & SLDL (keeping the back, from upper to lower, flat/straight in both movements).  With the back held straight/stiff you will be limited to the full stretch, but if you experience these lifts you will find a very good ham/glute/hip/lower back effect. At time, a full stretch can offer injuries, if not taken with caution anyway. Actually the Romanian & SLDL are quite similar, one is usually done in a PR, the other off the floor, which allows only lowering the bar to what the 45 plates allow. Might also include doing both these movement with an extra wide to narrow stance. Also a extra wide to narrow grip can make a different to the stretching effect on the upper body as well. Good Luck.

Side Bar: Overhead squats......Chaos be the man. And yes, please start with an empty bar, for reps, at first. Want total flexibility, this is one of the exercise that can give it.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Might add that for a different kind of stretch to the calves, hams, butt and lower back I'm adding this suggestion (whatever it may, or may not, be worth)..

Place the toes on a 2X4 or pair of 45's, etc and do Romanian or SLDl's that way..Keeping the back straight/flat. Best with a lighter weigh, it is something to get use to. Not a movement to use a max weight on.

Quite a few will use this method as a general warmup, without any weight involved. Just clasp the hands together, behind the small of the back, keeping the shoulders back & back straight/flat, and stretch forward. Seems to work well when alternating this movement with a good calf exercise also. Getting a excellent calf stretch both ways.

Using a 2X4, or not, I would also suggest GoodMornings, though the arc of the exercise runs 90 degrees out & away from the body. Some guy's have trouble with that, though GM's are excellent  and have been know to help with squatting and regular Dl power. Personal view: Hyper extensions are OK, but would prefer any of the above exercises as being more productive, in my case anyway.  Good Luck.
F

JaylenTheSuperSaiyan

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 03:14:48 AM »
sounds like you have something similar to what im working on

hip impingement caused by lack of external/internal rotation
i dropped out of school to play computer games and spent 16+ hours on the computer ED from 2008-2010, 2006-2007 was 3+ hours ED
physio told me my glutes were so tight that it was pulling the soft tissue and shit so i had nothing in my hips, only the position i slumped in my computer with

yada yada yada, acupuncture on glutes and lower back, roll out your glutes with a tennis ball when you wake up and before bed and every hour of sitting + piriformas stretches
you should also have a tight muscle below your rib cage at the front the psoas or some shit, the yoga stretch where you lie down and then curl up, imagine your on one of those plastic water slides on grass at full speed and then while your on it you see a guy jacking off at the end ready to bust in your face, yeah that is the stretch

&feature=plcp

&feature=plcp
these are called 'distractions', they distract the hip capsule by pulling it to the back/side allowing you to get a good stretch without pain. shit is so cash i got my band yesterday and did them for the first time before squatting, huge improvement immediately, FAR better then my normal 45 mins of stretching

hope this helps im typing it out while distracted

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
Great info guys, been doing all the stretches, and they all feel great...

EXCEPT FOR THIS FUCKER:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Whatever the fuck that interal rotation part does (after you finish crossing your leg, when you bring your knees together) is part of the reason I sold my motorcycle (hips would cramp), and the main reason i quit skiing (hips would cramp).  that motion is it. Anyone want to interpret that for me?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:56:36 AM »
Great info guys, been doing all the stretches, and they all feel great...

EXCEPT FOR THIS FUCKER:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Whatever the fuck that interal rotation part does (after you finish crossing your leg, when you bring your knees together) is part of the reason I sold my motorcycle (hips would cramp), and the main reason i quit skiing (hips would cramp).  that motion is it. Anyone want to interpret that for me?
That last one showed me how locked up my right hip is. Wow! I learned something new.