Author Topic: The most underrated talent in the history of the industry  (Read 11653 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: The most underrated talent in the history of the industry
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 04:20:11 AM »
he was even on lifestyles of the rich and famous with robin leach.

I really thought he was that rich just because of that show LOL

Vince must have had some kind of arrangement/deal with ...Rich & Famous and/or Robin Leach. I seem to remember at least one other wrestler being featured on the show during its run, although I can't remember if it was kayfabe or not. Leach also appeared at WM IV and again in WWF magazine with Savage & Sherri.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
Monty...do you thin Dibiasi was missing something that kept him from winning the WWF Title or was he soo over like Piper that he didn't need it?
 ( I am not directly comparing Piper to Dibiasi)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 06:10:59 AM »
Monty...do you thin Dibiasi was missing something that kept him from winning the WWF Title or was he soo over like Piper that he didn't need it?
 ( I am not directly comparing Piper to Dibiasi)

I think it's hard to draw many comparisons between performers in any industry. As such, it's equally hard to attribute certain shared outcomes amongst performers to the same reasons. My point is, while Pipes and Ted never held the big belt in the Fed, I honestly can't say if it was for the same reasons.

Piper will claim that he "didn't need" the belt. I think the old man was reluctant to put it on him due to Piper's known tendency to fly off the handle back then (he's done his share of drugs). Also, Hot Rod has missed a lot of action over the years due to injuries, filming movies, and vacations. He didn't wrestle full-time after 1987. Granted, he came back to work programs that lasted >12 months, but it's hard to build a champion who is absent so much of the time. It did keep his face fresh, however, and he still gets a pop from even today's crowd.

As for DiBiase, I don't know if he was lacking anything, or if he just didn't fit in with the direction they were planning to go. He could definitely deliver, though. Surely, somebody within the Federation must have known and recognized what Ted could do because they signed him and put him in some major programs. I don't remember hearing that he was ever a "troublemaker." It may simply be a case of bad timing rather than him being undeserving. I don't think they could have asked any more of him, and I doubt he could have given much more than he did.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »

I think it's hard to draw many comparisons between performers in any industry. As such, it's equally hard to attribute certain shared outcomes amongst performers to the same reasons. My point is, while Pipes and Ted never held the big belt in the Fed, I honestly can't say if it was for the same reasons.

Piper will claim that he "didn't need" the belt. I think the old man was reluctant to put it on him due to Piper's known tendency to fly off the handle back then (he's done his share of drugs). Also, Hot Rod has missed a lot of action over the years due to injuries, filming movies, and vacations. He didn't wrestle full-time after 1987. Granted, he came back to work programs that lasted >12 months, but it's hard to build a champion who is absent so much of the time. It did keep his face fresh, however, and he still gets a pop from even today's crowd.

As for DiBiase, I don't know if he was lacking anything, or if he just didn't fit in with the direction they were planning to go. He could definitely deliver, though. Surely, somebody within the Federation must have known and recognized what Ted could do because they signed him and put him in some major programs. I don't remember hearing that he was ever a "troublemaker." It may simply be a case of bad timing rather than him being undeserving. I don't think they could have asked any more of him, and I doubt he could have given much more than he did.

Part of it may have been that he peaked during one of the "muscle" periods
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
Part of it may have been that he peaked during one of the "muscle" periods

That's an excellent point that I didn't consider. It certainly seems to be possible and very good explanation during the late-80's portion of his run. And, in a way, it makes sense. By the time he formed Money Inc. and had a brief push with the tag belts, the muscle-era was over following the Zahorian debacle that began in 1991. Perhaps if Ted had stuck around long enough after that, they'd have done something more with him in singles.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
one interesting thing is that the WWF basically treated the Million Dollar Belt as a title in its own right.

he was always having matches "for it" and 'won' it back from the jake at WM6 where we did the Wave in Toronto 8)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
one interesting thing is that the WWF basically treated the Million Dollar Belt as a title in its own right.

he was always having matches "for it" and 'won' it back from the jake at WM6 where we did the Wave in Toronto 8)

Another good point!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »

Vince must have had some kind of arrangement/deal with ...Rich & Famous and/or Robin Leach. I seem to remember at least one other wrestler being featured on the show during its run, although I can't remember if it was kayfabe or not. Leach also appeared at WM IV and again in WWF magazine with Savage & Sherri.

That would also be Savage. He and Queen Sherri made the TV show, probably kayfabe. I think he did an actual one with Savage and Elizabeth, too.