Author Topic: Decent pay day for UFC 146 fighters  (Read 4217 times)

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
Re: Decent pay day for UFC 146 fighters
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
I guess.  Kind of like Lesnar, GSP, or Silva.  All make a few million a fight with everything included.  Boxing is a dead sport though.  There will be nothing left once Manny and Floyd retire.

Once floyd and manny retire the viewing public's attention will be redirected to other fighters and a handful will be the cash cows. It's always been that way in boxing. Always. This is probably one of the few times that the two guys that have all the demand and are in the same weight range to fight and won't fight.

It's usually a weird combination like a Heavyweight and Middleweight or MW and Welter or LightHW and welter who are the $$$ kings during a certain era. Lightweight to jr Middle is jam packed. Once Andre Ward moves to Light Heavy that place will be insane and super middle is no walk in the park.

Boxing is here...but as always the public will be feed 1 or 2 guys to follow as the face of the sport and they'll pay to see them no matter what.  

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
When I was a kid in the early 80's there were so many great, marketable fighters.  You had Leonard, Duran, Hearns, cuevas, antefuermo, Hagler, Benitez, Arguello, Pryor, Mancini.... all of them fighting from lightweight up to middleweight.  It was a great time to be a fan...you look at today against that standard and you can't help but be bored by it.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 02:32:22 AM »
Fighter salaries are not the be all and end all of their pay. Didnt Matt Hughes get a $1 million bonus for beating Royce? The bonuses handed out, along with sponsorship, mean that the top guys can life an affluent to wealthy lifestyle comfortably and not live fight to fight.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 07:13:56 AM »
roy nelson imo is a well rounded fighter and if he keeps up the good work should get a title shot, unfortunatly for roy is that dana will do everything in his power not to let it happen. reason is dana is about marketing the ufc and he doesnt want roy representing the ufc hw div, not because roy cant fight but because roy looks like hes outta shape. same thing happened with tank abbott, john perretti, who was the old ufc matchmaker before joe silva, made sure of that. i like roy and all but when he starts rubbin his stomach and stuff you can clearly see it pisses dana off bigtime. me as a fan doesnt really care what a fighter looks like build was, if he can kick ass and show off great skills thats all that matters to me
R

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
roy nelson imo is a well rounded fighter and if he keeps up the good work should get a title shot, unfortunatly for roy is that dana will do everything in his power not to let it happen. reason is dana is about marketing the ufc and he doesnt want roy representing the ufc hw div, not because roy cant fight but because roy looks like hes outta shape. same thing happened with tank abbott, john perretti, who was the old ufc matchmaker before joe silva, made sure of that. i like roy and all but when he starts rubbin his stomach and stuff you can clearly see it pisses dana off bigtime. me as a fan doesnt really care what a fighter looks like build was, if he can kick ass and show off great skills thats all that matters to me
How do you not see that overhand right coming?  Besides a good chin, that is all Roy has (aside from a decent ground game.)  Mir fucking toyed with Roy.  That should tell you all you need to know.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Roy's a solid pro...a really good gatekeeper.  There's footage of him and Mir grappling in a tournament back when Roy looked like an athlete...He has a better than decent ground game.   If he would pull his head out of his ass and cut the blubber, he would be a threat at 205.  I'd love to see him crank a few of those rights at Jones' noggin

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 09:48:19 AM »
Roy's a solid pro...a really good gatekeeper.  There's footage of him and Mir grappling in a tournament back when Roy looked like an athlete...He has a better than decent ground game.   If he would pull his head out of his ass and cut the blubber, he would be a threat at 205.  I'd love to see him crank a few of those rights at Jones' noggin

that was a great match with mir and roy
R

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »
A few stitches is all he needed. 

He may have to get those fight shorts dry cleaned. That's $2.50 minimum.
a

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
So the UFC paid out 1.2 million. How much did they pull in for that pay per view? Fifty million bucks?  How much will Mayweather or Manny Pac make for their next fight? 20 million each? 

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
So the UFC paid out 1.2 million. How much did they pull in for that pay per view? Fifty million bucks?  How much will Mayweather or Manny Pac make for their next fight? 20 million each? 

sad but true
R