Author Topic: $ for $ - What is the best protein out there for the price  (Read 10696 times)

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
Re: $ for $ - What is the best protein out there for the price
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 03:32:02 AM »
Ya, but I just realized it, that not everyone has this option cause I get 130 drums for less then 30 dollars from a chicken factory near by.

These are big drums so I would say they have around 20 grams of protein per piece, 130 divided by 3o equals 4.5 so, 4.5 drums per dollar ends up being 90grams of protein per dollar. Cheaper then eggs or egg whites.

I put 15 drums in the oven and eat them throughout the day, all of them but only like 2 days out of the week so I don't get sick of them, very economic.

for anyone in the U.S., just go to your local big grocery store ( Hannaford, Market Basket etc), you can buy a WHOLE rotissery chicken for 3-4$ . Thats a whole chicken. Im guesstimating that its around 200g  of protein at least?

and its not like eggs plain and boring, you can get creative with the chicken and use it as a base for other meals.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 03:50:39 AM »
The cheapest form of protein per gram I would say is dark chicken as in thigh and drum, if you buy in bulk, you are looking at nearly 100grams of protein per dollar. Anything over 50 grams of protein per dollar is extremely cheap for protein.

Is it just as good as eating chicken breast fillet though what with the quality and all? Doesn't the thigh and drumsticks have more fat running through the meat?

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 04:21:11 AM »
Your body can only digest 23.2543g of protein per hour so it is pointless to be eating tuna/chicken tins with 45/50g of protein. You will just poop out the leftovers. Your best bet is to take creatine (load it for a week or two first) and it will make your muscles bigger so you need less proteins to feed them and just do squats and drink a gallon of milk and you will grow all over, I swear. Don't take too much creatine either because if you take too many of it becomes like steroids and your hairs fall out.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »
Your body can only digest 23.2543g of protein per hour so it is pointless to be eating tuna/chicken tins with 45/50g of protein. You will just poop out the leftovers. Your best bet is to take creatine (load it for a week or two first) and it will make your muscles bigger so you need less proteins to feed them and just do squats and drink a gallon of milk and you will grow all over, I swear. Don't take too much creatine either because if you take too many of it becomes like steroids and your hairs fall out.

lol

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 04:51:01 AM »

;D

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:34 AM »
It's 23.25486, per hour, get it right ;)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:45 AM »
It's 23.25486, per hour, get it right ;)

No! this all depends on the thermogenesis of the proprietary blend!  ;D

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »
Syntrax Nectar WPI
T

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »
Stay away from all the protein powders and supplements.....too expensive and many times these products don't live up to the hype.

Just eat solid foods......My 2 cents.

the trainer

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:24 AM »
Myofusion ???

My nut because i take clomid.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
Did anyone say straight from the tap yet?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
Myofusion ???

The answer is.....WHATEVER GNC or Vitamin Shoppe has on clearance sale (i.e. SDC Nutrition's About Time Whey Isolate, 2 lb. $6.00).

Or, if your gym has a clearance rack, as mine does, you get products like Isolate Advantage (3 lb, $10.00).

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
Stay away from all the protein powders and supplements.....too expensive and many times these products don't live up to the hype.

Just eat solid foods......My 2 cents.

Not true they're crap. yes, this is a bandwagon many are blindly on... Too expensive? Costs less than food, what the hell are you talking about?

The hype is overdone,yes.
?

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
Not true they're crap. yes, this is a bandwagon many are blindly on... Too expensive? Costs less than food, what the hell are you talking about?

As long as there are clearance sales, the price thing is not an issue.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

The hype is overdone,yes.
Bro....have you been to the grocery store lately???

Eggs are very inexpensive.....Wheat bread is very affordable.....Lean ground beef is 6 bucks a pound....a bag of potatoes would run you 5-6 bucks.....protein powder is usually well over 50 bucks a tub.....do me a favor.....get off the crack you have been smoking!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »

Eggs are very inexpensive.....Wheat bread is very affordable.....Lean ground beef is 6 bucks a pound....a bag of potatoes would run you 5-6 bucks.....protein powder is usually well over 50 bucks a tub.....do me a favor.....get off the crack you have been smoking!

$50 a tub?

Willie, say it with me...CLEARANCE SALE!!

As for lean beef being $6/pound, at what grocery store are you shopping? Even Sam's Club doesn't charge that much. Same goes for protein powder. A 5-lb bag will run you $35, tops, at least when Sam's Club switched to MuscleTech. When it sold EAS Whey Protein, it was $25-$28.

Plus, if you happen to be able to access a military commissary, you can get lean beef for $2.50/pound OR LESS.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
I can't or won't give up my syntha6.   :P 

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »

LOL. eggs and ground beef are cheap yes, but up here ground beef, the lean stuff is more like $10 kilo, $12 for xlean. a dozen eggs $3, but I stock up when they go down to $2.

But to save cash, I buy horse meat at about $6 a kilo, it's super lean, I make burgers with it everyday almost.

What costs me the most are steaks and chicken. Regular price for chicken here is about $13 kilo. That gives about 4 servings of 200grams cooked. so 4 servings of 50 grams of protein costs $13.

Let's take the whey protein at $50 for 80 ish servings of 25 grams a serving. you have 40, 50 gram serving here.

Compare that to chicken, steak is more expensive so I won't go there, but just to show why I say the whey is less expensive... So to compare it to chicken on a $50 spending of chicken you get about 16 servings of 50 grams of protein for $50.

I pointed out I get 40 servings of 50 grams of whey. So whey is a 1/3 of the cost, even cheaper when compared to steak!

I get 3 whole food servings and 3 shake portions as I find both have their advantage. Too much of either I don't feel or look right.

So... Can I keep smoking that crack or should I change "providers"? LOL...
?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 02:20:35 AM »
LOL. eggs and ground beef are cheap yes, but up here ground beef, the lean stuff is more like $10 kilo, $12 for xlean. a dozen eggs $3, but I stock up when they go down to $2.

But to save cash, I buy horse meat at about $6 a kilo, it's super lean, I make burgers with it everyday almost.

What costs me the most are steaks and chicken. Regular price for chicken here is about $13 kilo. That gives about 4 servings of 200grams cooked. so 4 servings of 50 grams of protein costs $13.

Let's take the whey protein at $50 for 80 ish servings of 25 grams a serving. you have 40, 50 gram serving here.

Compare that to chicken, steak is more expensive so I won't go there, but just to show why I say the whey is less expensive... So to compare it to chicken on a $50 spending of chicken you get about 16 servings of 50 grams of protein for $50.

I pointed out I get 40 servings of 50 grams of whey. So whey is a 1/3 of the cost, even cheaper when compared to steak!

I get 3 whole food servings and 3 shake portions as I find both have their advantage. Too much of either I don't feel or look right.

So... Can I keep smoking that crack or should I change "providers"? LOL...

Grocery list explanation meltdown.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 05:00:38 AM »
Chicken and egg shakes.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 05:08:51 AM »
i have to agree about the eggs, they are the best overall imo
R

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »
$50 a tub?

Willie, say it with me...CLEARANCE SALE!!

As for lean beef being $6/pound, at what grocery store are you shopping? Even Sam's Club doesn't charge that much. Same goes for protein powder. A 5-lb bag will run you $35, tops, at least when Sam's Club switched to MuscleTech. When it sold EAS Whey Protein, it was $25-$28.

Plus, if you happen to be able to access a military commissary, you can get lean beef for $2.50/pound OR LESS.
Yes.....ground beef is sometimes as low as 4 bucks a pound.....wheat bread is 2 bucks.....a 5 pound bag of potatoes will cost you all of 2 bucks.....many of the protein powders are 50 bucks or so for a good size tub.....solid food is the best route to go....IMHO.....you have no idea what is really in these so called powders.....look at how they fade away years later.....they are over hyped....period...paragr aph.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »
Yes.....ground beef is sometimes as low as 4 bucks a pound.....wheat bread is 2 bucks.....a 5 pound bag of potatoes will cost you all of 2 bucks.....many of the protein powders are 50 bucks or so for a good size tub.....solid food is the best route to go....IMHO.....you have no idea what is really in these so called powders.....look at how they fade away years later.....they are over hyped....period...paragr aph.

This isn't an argument about regular food vs. powders.

The point of my statement was that you need to find somewhere ELSE to shop, because the prices for BOTH the foods you cited and the protein powders are way too high.

Again, say it with me....CLEARANCE SALE!!

I have 4 lbs of whey protein isolate (SDC Nutrition) which cost me less a little over $15. They were marked down for clearance at GNC and I bought them during Gold Card week. One cost $9, the other cost $6.

Even if you don't go that route, Sam's Club sells 5-lb bag of protein powder for around $30. Do you live up North or out West? That must be the explanation for why stuff is so costly.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
Since I have started taking 6 raw eggs every day for b'fast and 6 raw eggs at work, my strength has increased by one-third.  Absolutely AMAZING, must be the natural enzymes......