Author Topic: Who believes in God?  (Read 52055 times)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Re: Who believes in God?
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2012, 06:02:02 AM »
Absolutely.
I also believe in magic/angels.
To each his own.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2012, 06:02:47 AM »
''Maybe God didnt always exist. I actually think that he created himself. which implies that there was a period of non-existence, and then god created himself... got lonely, and created existence.''

TBOMBZ

END OF THE THREAD

HAHA!

;)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2012, 06:03:54 AM »
''Maybe God didnt always exist. I actually think that he created himself. which implies that there was a period of non-existence, and then god created himself... got lonely, and created existence.''

TBOMBZ

END OF THE THREAD

LOL ;D
X

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2012, 06:04:31 AM »
quantum mechanics is rather exclusively speculation.

What? What do you base this ridiculous assertion on? Do you have any background in physics that qualifies you to offer an opinion on the subject? Do you even understand the subject to begin with?

but, something created everything, whatever it was.

What do you base this on? Why did that something not need to be created?

thatll be "god".

No it won't.

the bible is misleading, much sounds made up or impossible, but there is a creating force i think.

What you think is irrelevant. The question is what you can support logically. And you cannot logically support a god based on the proposition "something exists". Besides this "creating force" stuff is useless: it's a vacuous definition. You might as well define god to be a "oofla baloopla doopla"

someone said stephen hawkings...
just because stephen hawkins dont believe in a god  doesnt make it so, how can he definitely conclude that?he cant, hes speculating.
look at hawkings, if i looked like that id have trouble believing in a god too

Right... Stephen Hawking is bitter and doesn't believe in God because he has ALS.  ::)

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2012, 06:08:06 AM »
Trying to understand how the universe emerged from nothingness, for no particular reason, with its specific and peculiar physical laws and particles, which eventually over time created complex lifeforms with something called consciousness, raises cortisol which is catabolic to muscle tissue.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2012, 06:08:33 AM »
Fucking HALLELUJA....remember rolling a cigerette from a bed side Bible in a Hotel room..guess i won´t be one of the chosen ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2012, 06:27:15 AM »
Fucking HALLELUJA....remember rolling a cigerette from a bed side Bible in a Hotel room..guess i won´t be one of the chosen ;D
Sounds like something I`d have done!!   LOL  :D

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2012, 06:37:09 AM »
Sounds like something I`d have done!!   LOL  :D

Wes, you may be living proof that a God exists. I mean, the fact that youre still alive at your age is some kind of miracle  :o :o ;D ;D
X

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
Oh Yes, I thought that what you were getting at - I know Hawking could be wrong, that's why its called a Theory!  Hawkings didn't offer up his conclusions as fact, but the best science can offer for now, it's a starting point, and I don't believe Hawkings is done with the problem, he is just getting going, and he is setting the groundwork for future exploration of other great minds.  Hawkins himself considers himself an Agnostic, meaning perhaps THE TRUTH cannot be known with our teeny weeny brains!

I don't have time to read any more than what I already do, and some of that stuff is really heavy and beyond my little brain!
Well put!!!!!!!!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2012, 06:54:34 AM »
Wes, you may be living proof that a God exists. I mean, the fact that youre still alive at your age is some kind of miracle  :o :o ;D ;D
I`m a living walking talking fucking miracle bro.

All bullshit aside,I have a hell of a time believing in the concept of God, but after living my former lifestyle,I have to think that somebody was looking out for me............all I`ll say is even with drinking and drugs aside,I have put myself in some dangerous situations, and have worn a lot of hats in my life,but I`m just not that lucky to still be here when over 150 or so of my former friends are pushing up fucking daisies.

On the other hand,I`m a bad motherfacker so maybe I`m God!!   :D

You guys will have to ponder on this and most will inevetibly come to the conclusion that they should worship me and send money so I can start my temple of enlightenment.

Seriously.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »
LOL

What a load of bollocks.

Religion a crutch for the weak? I suppose people like Tony Blair, Ronald Reagan, George Bush were pitiable, powerless weaklings, eh?

Politicains will say what voters want to hear.  Think if anyone said they are atheist they would have a snowballls chance in hell?  C'mon use your brain!

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »
Politicains will say what voters want to hear.  Think if anyone said they are atheist they would have a snowballls chance in hell?  C'mon use your brain!

Use my brain? You don't know what the fuck you're on about. Tony Blair converted to Catholicism in the middle of his tenure as prime minister and that was seen as a massive political liability by his spin doctors. In fact, questions of religion were forbidden in interviews with the PM, for example when his chief spin-doctor Alastair Campbell interrupted an interview with his famous interjection: "We don't do God".

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »
Use my brain? You don't know what the fuck you're on about. Tony Blair converted to Catholicism in the middle of his tenure as prime minister and that was seen as a massive political liability by his spin doctors. In fact, questions of religion were forbidden in interviews with the PM, for example when his chief spin-doctor Alastair Campbell interrupted an interview with his famous interjection: "We don't do God".

Blair converted from Protestant to Catholic.  He was still a Christain. What does protocol have anything to do with anything?  Britain has 2000 years of history steeped in religion, think that will be wiped away by some lacky's statement.  The beliefs of politicains are pretty much taken as a given even if it is not a matter of public record.  How many times has a Prime Minister or President been photo opped entering a church?  Name me one elected politican who is an atheist.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:32 AM »
The quote  "We don't do God"  was in relation to his Christian faith - as he was raised a Christian - Blair didn't convert to Catholicism until after he left office.
V

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2012, 07:26:30 AM »
Here is an idea to consider, what if the big bang theory is wrong? It's just a theory, think about it, man in his current form has only been around for about 250000 years, has wriiten language for maybe 7000.  That is just a blink of the eye in geological terms.  What make you think we could possibly have the answer to the origins of the universe when we can't even figure out what to do with all the nuclear waste we produce every day?  Do you honestly think this theory will stand up say fifty thousand years from now?  Will we even be around fifty thousand years from now?  I doubt it.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2012, 07:28:15 AM »
The quote  "We don't do God"  was in relation to his Christian faith - as he was raised a Christian - Blair didn't convert to Catholicism until after he left office.

Blair converted openly to Catholicism after leaving but rumours up and down Fleet Street were that he actually did it while in office- that's what the quote was trying to deflect attention from. Blair came under terrible pressure after the Iraq invasion and his daughter attempted suicide in 2004 after being bullied by fellow students at the Roman Catholic state school she was attending, something that was not reported by the press at the time.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »
I`m a living walking talking fucking miracle bro.

All bullshit aside,I have a hell of a time believing in the concept of God, but after living my former lifestyle,I have to think that somebody was looking out for me............all I`ll say is even with drinking and drugs aside,I have put myself in some dangerous situations, and have worn a lot of hats in my life,but I`m just not that lucky to still be here when over 150 or so of my former friends are pushing up fucking daisies.

On the other hand,I`m a bad motherfacker so maybe I`m God!!   :D

You guys will have to ponder on this and most will inevetibly come to the conclusion that they should worship me and send money so I can start my temple of enlightenment.

Seriously.
Wes you are a good Guy.

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2012, 07:33:43 AM »
Here is an idea to consider, what if the big bang theory is wrong? It's just a theory, think about it, man in his current form has only been around for about 250000 years, has wriiten language for maybe 7000.  That is just a blink of the eye in geological terms.  What make you think we could possibly have the answer to the origins of the universe when we can't even figure out what to do with all the nuclear waste we produce every day?  Do you honestly think this theory will stand up say fifty thousand years from now?  Will we even be around fifty thousand years from now?  I doubt it.

It's a not a problem if it is wrong, you just go back to the drawing board.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
This is a valid point, there are theories that suggest the big bang is wrong - the basis of the big bang theory is the discovery that the universe is expanding and if you followed the logic of an expanding universe backward, then you arrived at the Big Bang—an infinitely dense point that explodes to form the universe as we know it. The Big Bang theory depends on two major assumptions: the universality of physical laws, and the cosmological principle. both of these assumptions are not fact and may yet be disproved with further understanding.
V

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »
Blair converted openly to Catholicism after leaving but rumours up and down Fleet Street were that he actually did it while in office- that's what the quote was trying to deflect attention from. Blair came under terrible pressure after the Iraq invasion and his daughter attempted suicide in 2004 after being bullied by fellow students at the Roman Catholic state school she was attending, something that was not reported by the press at the time.
I could believe this. Did not know about his Daughter.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2012, 08:13:06 AM »
I believe in God.....but not religion.

Religions are created and written by man and their whole concept of a supreme being is shaped by primitive human reasoning.

I don't believe in Hell or any 'Devil'......but perhaps there is some continuation of our spirits and memories? No-one knows.

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
I believe in God.....but not religion.

Religions are created and written by man and their whole concept of a supreme being is shaped by primitive human reasoning.

I don't believe in Hell or any 'Devil'......but perhaps there is some continuation of our spirits and memories? No-one knows.

What about the spirit and memories of a fruit fly, would they be part of this "continuation" you propose?

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »
So, you non God fearing heathens..you're telling me..that (best science you got, btw) there was nothing and BANG!!! THERE WAS SOMETHING!!

We don't know these things. We are limited creatures on one out of billions of planets in cosmos. That we don't know these things doesn't mean that there is a "god" that created man in his image, nor any other form of personal god that in any form resembles humans or anything humans could understand.

Religious people are unimaginative, foolish and unable to tolerate uncertainty.

I don't know what is out there or if there is any form of "higher" intelligence, but I'm damn sure a bunch of goat or camel herders in the middle east 2000 years ago did not know either. Yet we worship fantasy creatures created by them. Ridiculous!

NN

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
I do.

It is a personal choice and I have no problem with anyone who does not.