Author Topic: "Thank You For Your Service"  (Read 3468 times)

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Re: "Thank You For Your Service"
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »

Soldiers have always been rich people's mercenaries.

Most of them are bloodthirsty individuals who want to kill other people they deem inferior.
The smartest soldiers are those who send other soldiers to their death.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
These are all subjective matters, so I won't comment any further (there isn't a correct answer either way).

The question was meant to gauge subjective opinion, though.

If you overhear a convo with a vet and two other people and one of the people said "Thank you for your service" to the vet, do you think there's something off with the person who didn't say it?

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 04:18:45 PM »
The question was meant to gauge subjective opinion, though.

If you overhear a convo with a vet and two other people and one of the people said "Thank you for your service" to the vet, do you think there's something off with the person who didn't say it?

It's hit and miss depends on the situation if it's in passing I don't say anything but if we get on the topic and talk about our time in I'll say somthing out of respect. I'm not saying you have to be one of those over the top patriotic ass clowns but   Look at the end of the day some one has to do it period, the long hours the deployments. Time away from friends abd family. So sure ill
Thanks them. I don't look for it. There is zero vet stickers on my cars. I don't have any veteran hats or clothing  but if I see a ww2 veteran or a nam vet warring one I'll say thank you for the shit they went through.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 09:16:15 PM »

Not at all.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »
I'm sure this is true for some, but one of the guys I referred to in my earlier post actually tags ALL of his instagram posts with a tag that is similar to "#soldier who saw war". (I will refrain from giving the exact tag.) On top of that he frequently posts throwback pics and in a recent pic he captioned it with something like "heading to Iraq to protect YOUR freedom!!!" (The quote is a paraphrase, but the number of exclamation points was accurate.

First things first, after reading this thread  it's clear SF1900 is an Obama supporter who would vote for him if he ran for a third term.

I respect all who serve in the armed forces but there are a select few, like the ones you're referencing AD,  who are obviously social outcasts with self esteem and identity issues, no different than Big Lenny from the Jason Genova YouTube clips.

I'd be very impressed if this guy signed up with the intention of protecting the freedom of his Instagram friends. I could imagine the same man watching American Sniper and commenting on how the movie wasn't real enough and his crew was one the few who didn't have snipers looking over their shoulders.

If you're not going to challenge his nonsense (and I'm sure it's not worth it) it's best to ignore him and bring up his dumb posts when in the company of his other online "friends". I'm sure everyone has similar feelings.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »
First things first, after reading this thread  it's clear SF1900 is an Obama supporter who would vote for him if he ran for a third term.

I respect all who serve in the armed forces but there are a select few, like the ones you're referencing AD,  who are obviously social outcasts with self esteem and identity issues, no different than Big Lenny from the Jason Genova YouTube clips.

I'd be very impressed if this guy signed up with the intention of protecting the freedom of his Instagram friends. I could imagine the same man watching American Sniper and commenting on how the movie wasn't real enough and his crew was one the few who didn't have snipers looking over their shoulders.

If you're not going to challenge his nonsense (and I'm sure it's not worth it) it's best to ignore him and bring up his dumb posts when in the company of his other online "friends". I'm sure everyone has similar feelings.

I didn't even vote for Obama.  :-\ :-\
X

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
I didn't even vote for Obama.  :-\ :-\

We all have regrets bro.

Al I forgot to answer your actual question,  and I'd say no its not necessary to thank someone for their service even if others had.

I've heard of 1st class flight passengers giving up their tickets to uniformed military personnel where one passenger declined to give up his seat. That seemed exceptionally brave in the sense he went against the group mindset/peer pressure and was willing to face the rejection/judgment of strangers on the flight and at the airport.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »
We all have regrets bro.

Al I forgot to answer your actual question,  and I'd say no its not necessary to thank someone for their service even if others had.

I've heard of 1st class flight passengers giving up their tickets to uniformed military personnel where one passenger declined to give up his seat. That seemed exceptionally brave in the sense he went against the group mindset/peer pressure and was willing to face the rejection/judgment of strangers on the flight and at the airport.

okay, cool.
X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »
We all have regrets bro.

I've covered a bar tab or two, but not with their knowledge. Usually old timers with their WWII caps on. Least I can do for firsthand war stories.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »
I've covered a bar tab or two, but not with their knowledge. Usually old timers with their WWII caps on. Least I can do for firsthand war stories.

Very cool and kind gesture.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »
Very cool and kind gesture.

Nothing cooler that chatting up a WWII vet over a few beers. A few were stateside, but I've heard some tales about Europe and the Pacific as well. One guy saw Babe Ruth play ball in the 30s.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2015, 10:12:25 PM »
Nothing cooler that chatting up a WWII vet over a few beers. A few were stateside, but I've heard some tales about Europe and the Pacific as well. One guy saw Babe Ruth play ball in the 30s.

The WWII stories are great but a first hand Babe Ruth account is priceless.   

I wonder how sports icons from this era will be reminisced. The early 1900's were a much simpler time and it seemed as if culture created grandiose "stars". Today people  easily forget and discard events. I remember thinking Bonds 73 homer season was going to help create him into a mythical player, even despite the peds, but because society is so fast paced it's an afterthought.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
The WWII stories are great but a first hand Babe Ruth account is priceless.   

I wonder how sports icons from this era will be reminisced. The early 1900's were a much simpler time and it seemed as if culture created grandiose "stars". Today people  easily forget and discard events. I remember thinking Bonds 73 homer season was going to help create him into a mythical player, even despite the peds, but because society is so fast paced it's an afterthought.

He was too young to remember much, unfortunately. He knows he was there, though, which in itself seemed kind of a big deal to me.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
He was too young to remember much, unfortunately. He knows he was there, though, which in itself seemed kind of a big deal to me.
[/b]

Agreed.

It's a 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon scenario here, because you shared your experience all of us at getbig kinda have a Babe Ruth story now.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
[/b]

Agreed.

It's a 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon scenario here, because you shared your experience all of us at getbig kinda have a Babe Ruth story now.

I did the math later, and it was possible that he squeezed it in very young. Really something else, I was stunned. First time I'd ever heard anyone say that. Old Bostonian, name's Don.