Author Topic: St John's Wort  (Read 1311 times)

Sudsville

• Getbig II
St John's Wort
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
Does anyone have experience with it?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: St John's Wort
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »
I do not, but if you're interested in OTC supplements that act as mood-enhancers, consider looking into 5-HTP. I've noticed a slight, but inconsistent improvement in mood when using it, and I know several other folks who experience the same.

If you try the St. John's Wort, give us some feedback here. I've never known anyone who's used it.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
FYI some study results:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16160619

A Double-blind, randomized trial of St John's wort, fluoxetine, and placebo in major depressive disorder.
Fava M, Alpert J, Nierenberg AA, Mischoulon D, Otto MW, Zajecka J, Murck H, Rosenbaum JF.
Source
Depression Clinical and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA. mfava@partners.org
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
This study looks to compare the antidepressant efficacy and safety of a standardized extract of St John's wort with both placebo and fluoxetine.
METHOD:
After a 1-week single-blind washout, patients with major depressive disorder diagnosed by Structured Clinical Interview for Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition were randomized to 12 weeks of double-blind treatment with LI-160 St John's wort extract (900 mg/d), fluoxetine (20 mg/d), or placebo. The 17-item Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAMD-17) was the primary efficacy measure, and analysis of covariance was used to compare differences in end point HAMD-17 scores across the 3 treatment groups, treating the baseline HAMD-17 as the covariate.
RESULTS:
One hundred thirty-five patients (57% women; mean age, 37.3 +/- 11.0; mean HAMD-17, 19.7 +/- 3.2) were randomized to double-blind treatment and were included in the intent-to-treat analyses. Analysis of covariance analyses showed lower mean HAMD-17 scores at end point in the St John's wort group (n = 45; mean +/- SD, 10.2 +/- 6.6) compared with the fluoxetine group (n = 47; 13.3 +/- 7.3; P < 0.03) and a trend toward a similar finding relative to the placebo group (n = 43; 12.6 +/- 6.4; P = 0.096). There was also a trend toward higher rates of remission (HAMD-17 <8) in the St John's wort group (38%) compared with the fluoxetine group (30%) and the placebo group (21%). Overall, St John's wort appeared to be safe and well tolerated.
CONCLUSION:
St John's wort was significantly more effective than fluoxetine and showed a trend toward superiority over placebo. A (25%) smaller than planned sample size is likely to account for the lack of statistical significance for the advantage (indicating a moderate effect size, d = 0.45) of St John's wort over placebo.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
Does anyone have experience with it?

Yeah, I tried it a few years back and I felt that it did help me for mood improvement.

Interesting study posted by WOOO...more effective than prozac. I believe it....tried both actually and the natural route worked better for me and normally I prefer pharmaceuticals.

Just be careful with it cause if I remember correctly there are some things you should avoid taking with the herb.