Author Topic: Paying for grad school  (Read 19320 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Paying for grad school
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
If I may suggest: you should be seeking career/educational advice from a counselor at your undergraduate school—not from a bodybuilding forum.  The kind of counseling you want is something you are already paying for via your tuition.  Why not take advantage of it? 
yeah. im just open to hearing yall opinnion's as well  :)

yes dizzle you can get into a Phd program without a masters as a matter of fact it would probably be much quicker to do so. You can still become a professor with a masters but in a lot of colleges you wont be eligible for tenure if they even have it.

If youre not a big reader then I would really think about law school twice. The amount of reading that is done there is astronomical from the lawyers I know and when you get out it will be much of the same.

Either way get working dizzle, you need relevant work experience to go along with your education otherwise youre just another educated person without any real work application/experience.

those ppl are known as liberals ;)
thanks for the response man. i am actually thinking that the MBA is probably the best route for me. your working on an MBA at a school in california arent you?  what do you think are the better schools for it here in the state? i was thinking about going to the university of the pacific because its close to home, but stockton is a shitty town and id rather be in a city with cool people/cool atmosphere.... but even more importantly i want a GOOD education from a college that business will respect. what do you think? any sugggestion?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
yeah. im just open to hearing yall opinnion's as well  :)
 thanks for the response man. i am actually thinking that the MBA is probably the best route for me. your working on an MBA at a school in california arent you?  what do you think are the better schools for it here in the state? i was thinking about going to the university of the pacific because its close to home, but stockton is a shitty town and id rather be in a city with cool people/cool atmosphere.... but even more importantly i want a GOOD education from a college that business will respect. what do you think? any sugggestion?

You can view US News rankings of business schools here http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
yeah. im just open to hearing yall opinnion's as well  :)
 thanks for the response man. i am actually thinking that the MBA is probably the best route for me. your working on an MBA at a school in california arent you?  what do you think are the better schools for it here in the state? i was thinking about going to the university of the pacific because its close to home, but stockton is a shitty town and id rather be in a city with cool people/cool atmosphere.... but even more importantly i want a GOOD education from a college that business will respect. what do you think? any sugggestion?
No, Im in school in Texas brosef in Houston to be specific.

Thats a tough question to answer man, you have to weigh a number of different factors.

Cost/Benefit is really important b/c grad school isnt cheap man and you need to determine whether or not you will really benefit from the big name on your diploma.

Id say without work experience the name is more important but the more work experience the less of a role it will play.

A big name school is great but are you going to use it?

If youre planning on staying local then a local school that is well respected but may not be nationally known will probably serve you just as well as a big nationally known program. We have a number of private colleges in Houston that youve probably never heard of that carry as much or more status locally as the big national schools like UT, A&M, UH etc. UT was on bays list but Ill tell you Rice in Houston is probably a more respected program here in Texas and Im betting youve never heard of them.

an MBA is great but they are becoming more and more common dizzle, you need to start getting relevant work experience.