Author Topic: Larger than Life Stars  (Read 2104 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Larger than Life Stars
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Was listening to an MLW podcast and Konan pointed out there are no more "larger than life" wrestlers.....Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Ultimate Warror types......will we ever see this again?

IMO Rock is he closest but with his less than PT schedule.....

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Larger than Life Stars
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:05:24 AM »
I think a big part of it is that it's easier to be a spectacle when you're the first. Erego, having already had a Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Asshole, etc., it's harder for the next guy with a similar act to garner the same excitement; even if he's a degree better.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 04:19:47 AM »
I think a big part of it is that it's easier to be a spectacle when you're the first. Erego, having already had a Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Asshole, etc., it's harder for the next guy with a similar act to garner the same excitement; even if he's a degree better.

I tend to disagree, look at Stone Cold, 8-10 yrs after HH and UW, Rock same time frame. I just can't tell if there is anone that truly wants to be the next big thing, Vince McMahon keeping down the man or the combo of both.

Look at wrestlers of Old, many have respect for Cena but he will never go down in History as a HH or Ric Flair...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 04:13:40 PM »
I tend to disagree, look at Stone Cold, 8-10 yrs after HH and UW, Rock same time frame. I just can't tell if there is anone that truly wants to be the next big thing, Vince McMahon keeping down the man or the combo of both.

Look at wrestlers of Old, many have respect for Cena but he will never go down in History as a HH or Ric Flair...

That's why I specified someone coming along with a similar act. Austin was a different breed that fans hadn't seen before. If Steve had presented another Hulkamania-type package, the fans would have farted on it; just like they did when Hogan himself took the act to WCW in '94.

Similarly, if someone else tried to follow Steve's Stone Cold with a similar gimmick, it wouldn't have been as special, having already been done. The impact would have paled in comparison.