Author Topic: progressive overload variations?  (Read 2200 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
progressive overload variations?
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
in my experience i've never ever been able to get bigger muscles without progressively overloading them, but i'm looking for ways to apply progressive overload without doing straight sets

i know of a few alternate methods such as pre-exhust (never really did much for me) and drop sets (also really didn't do much for me), so i'm wondering if you dudes have any other suggestions for me?

there was another method that i used called "interupted sets" and it's like a rest-pause where you take the same weight and do 5 reps, and then hold the weight in the fully extended postion for 10 seconds and then do another 5 reps, and then try and do this 4 times through, and when you can complete it for 5 reps 4 times through then increase the weight next workout

so it's a progressive overload method that isn't in straight set style

Mentzer actually told me (via our phone consultations) that these methods don't work, since you are just extending the set with them, but i did make some ok progress with "interupted sets" some years back

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: progressive overload variations?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
Meaning regular sets when saying straight sets...I believe.

Time is also another element, that can be very import in any progressive overload system, that most may overlook.  How much work (tonnage moved/lifted) is actually performs in a given amount of time, on any exercise. Setting up a fairly fast pace, within workouts, can excel muscle growth, and has, for quite a few..

Here's where TUT (Time Under Tension) comes into play. Short breaks between sets or methods like One & one Half's  (which Wes mentioned in another thread), 7's, tri set, ect.  I somewhat favor quad sets, either SS'ed (with opposing muscle contractions) or working the same muscle for the whole 4 sets. Quad sets are like a shorter version of Giant sets, which can also be a good structure for a higher end workout.

Keeping it simple, for the moment: might suggest a couple of methods that come to mind. 10X10's  (GVT) and 8X8's. Using the same moderate weight throughout all the total sets. May seem easy at first, but becomes very demanding after working into it.Time becomes an element here also. I have used squats, DL's, pullovers & press, for excellent results with the GVT version. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
well i did pre-exhaust supersets for legs yesterday. I normaly do straight sets for legs but i thought fuck it ;D I did 3 sets leg extension +Squats  and 3 sets Leg curls+stiff Deadlifts(with Dumbbells) and finished off with 5 sets 1 leg calf raises.  Now today i went for a run and i was fucked... it started to rain too .. but like a true Getbig warrior i survived it  ;) I think it worked for me. maybe you need to try some new moves or maybe change the order of your workout on that Day...that can shock your muscles too. Just my fucking 2 cents Bro.. ;D ;D ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
thanks fellas :)

i've tried different volume approaches, but they never worked for me

basically my own experience has taught me that intensity pwns volume, but really the whole ballgame is progressive overload IMHO

so basically i'm trying to acheive progressive overload while training with lighter loads, and i know that GVT or vinny g's 8x8 allows lighter training loads to train with, but i just wasn't ever able to increase my training loads following those protocols, and i believe that was so coz the volume was just too high

this intrupted sets protocol of 4x5 is kinda like GVT and 8x8, but not exactly coz the volume isn't as high, and the whole thing is over quite quickly... it's basically Mentzer's Rest-Pause style, but using sets of 5 reps instead of sets of 1 rep