Author Topic: GOP Convention Theme,"We Built This". However Stadium was financed by Public $$  (Read 2970 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
 ;D

http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/08/22/gop-announces-convention-theme-we-built-this-in-stadium-built-with-62-government-funds/

GOP Announces Convention Theme “We Built This” In Stadium Built With 62% Government Funds

Apparently rejecting a more controversial “You Didn’t Really Get Raped, Pregnant Lady” theme for its 2012 convention, the GOP has announced that its Tuesday night session will be themed “We Built This!” The sentiment serves as both a celebration of American entrepreneurship and an attack on President Obama’s previous comments to business owners. President Obama received criticism over his remark, “Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you [business owners] to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

However, the stadium where the GOP will be announcing “We Built This!” was financed primarily by the government. The Tampa Bay Times Forum arena, which houses the Tampa Bay Lightning, was built in 1996 as the “Ice Palace” with 62% government funds. The total budget for the project was $139 million, of which public money accounted for $86 million and team money accounted for $53 million.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Obama really said that? Unbelievable. It flies against the face of one hundred years of capitalist thinking.

What balls on the man :)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
.....and?

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I don't think they literally meant that particular stadium...so I don't see an issue.  No more of an issue than the " Wallstreet will enslave you" Dems using Bank of America Stadium for their convention

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
I don't think they literally meant that particular stadium...so I don't see an issue.  No more of an issue than the " Wallstreet will enslave you" Dems using Bank of America Stadium for their convention
Oh I am sure they meant it literally.  Republicans are very poor at abstract thought.  Very Poor.  I think they are just now realizing that Stephen Colbert is not one of them.  They thought he was on their side for years.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
behind closed doors Obama and Romney having drinks and laughing at the American people.  :D they working for the same man in the same play

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Oh I am sure they meant it literally.  Republicans are very poor at abstract thought.  Very Poor.  I think they are just now realizing that Stephen Colbert is not one of them.  They thought he was on their side for years.

Bang on.  ;D 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
And where is Obama speaking at again?   What stadium? 

;D

http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/08/22/gop-announces-convention-theme-we-built-this-in-stadium-built-with-62-government-funds/

GOP Announces Convention Theme “We Built This” In Stadium Built With 62% Government Funds

Apparently rejecting a more controversial “You Didn’t Really Get Raped, Pregnant Lady” theme for its 2012 convention, the GOP has announced that its Tuesday night session will be themed “We Built This!” The sentiment serves as both a celebration of American entrepreneurship and an attack on President Obama’s previous comments to business owners. President Obama received criticism over his remark, “Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you [business owners] to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

However, the stadium where the GOP will be announcing “We Built This!” was financed primarily by the government. The Tampa Bay Times Forum arena, which houses the Tampa Bay Lightning, was built in 1996 as the “Ice Palace” with 62% government funds. The total budget for the project was $139 million, of which public money accounted for $86 million and team money accounted for $53 million.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
And where is Obama speaking at again?   What stadium? 

???

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
???

Bank of America Stadium - remember the banks that he screamed about the bailouts about? 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Bank of America Stadium - remember the banks that he screamed about the bailouts about? 
He supported the bailouts though, just like Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney.  :-\

Butterbean

• Getbig V
And the construction, glass companies etc. that built the stadium were from the U.S. Government's Department of Stadium Building Agency.
R

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
And where is Obama speaking at again?   What stadium?  

but dems aren't holding up a sign braggin "We built this!"

This stadium was built with 86 mil in tax payer funds.  There are plenty of examples of shit thry actually built, that they can brag about.  

But acceping that much taxpayer $ then bragging "We did this!!" is weak.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
And the construction, glass companies etc. that built the stadium were from the U.S. Government's Department of Stadium Building Agency.
Probably not, but Republicans are whole-hardheartedly against using public funds to pay the private sector, but just can`t resist the finished product.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
I think they are just now realizing that Stephen Colbert is not one of them.

Wait a minute......  WHAT!?  :-[

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Probably not, but Republicans are whole-hardheartedly against using public funds to pay the private sector, but just can`t resist the finished product.

I don't think they are wholeheartedly against it, obviously there are things that must and should be funded that way....military, infrastructure, those that are unable to help themselves, those that need a hand up, etc...  But agree that if they are using that theme they could have made a better venue choice if one was available.

But what seems overlooked is that private companies did build the stadium.

Edit: Oops misread your post but the last sentence applies.
R

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
I don't think they are wholeheartedly against it, obviously there are things that must and should be funded that way....military, infrastructure, those that are unable to help themselves, those that need a hand up, etc...  But agree that if they are using that theme they could have made a better venue choice if one was available.

But what seems overlooked is that private companies did build the stadium.
Its not overlooked at all.  The Republican platform doesn`t support private companies being funded via public money.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
;D
The Republican platform doesn`t support private companies being funded via public money.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
The Republican platform doesn`t support private companies being funded via public money.

True Adonis, I think you're distorting the truth just a little bit..................... ....................

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
True Adonis, I think you're distorting the truth just a little bit..................... ....................
How?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
How?

I'm not going there, because you're relentless in an argument.  8)

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
The issue isn't public vs private funding of anything.  The issue is Obama's (and earlier  Elizabeth Warren's) attempt to paint government's public works projects as being as instrumental to the success of private enterprise as the efforts of the entrepreneur who started the company.  This is ludicrous on its face and attempts by Liberals like TA to change the focus of the issue are nothing more than futile attempts to distract people from Obama's natural hostility towards private enterprise .

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
The issue isn't public vs private funding of anything.  The issue is Obama's (and earlier  Elizabeth Warren's) attempt to paint government's public works projects as being as instrumental to the success of private enterprise as the efforts of the entrepreneur who started the company.  This is ludicrous on its face and attempts by Liberals like TA to change the focus of the issue are nothing more than futile attempts to distract people from Obama's natural hostility towards private enterprise .
Hehe. See, this is what TA was noting when he started the thread.  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
???