Author Topic: Picking 7th in a 10 team non-keeper league  (Read 2371 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Picking 7th in a 10 team non-keeper league
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
Picking 7th in my biggest money league this year. I already know Rodgers will be first pick and I'm expecting Brady to go top 3 as well given past picks by these guys. Thinking Brees or Stafford may fall to me but would you go with one of those over say a Chris Johnson or a McFadden?

RB isn't deep this year and I've been leaning towards grabbing 2 of the elite RBs in the first 2 rounds and then grabbing a second tier QB in 4 or 5 as everyone after the elite 4 (A-Rod, Brady, Brees, Stafford - not big on Newton) go.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Picking 7th in a 10 team non-keeper league
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
I would go Brees -> McFadden -> Johnson -> Stafford

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »
I would go Brees -> McFadden -> Johnson -> Stafford

I'm leaning towards Brees, too. I prefer Johnson over McFadden, though. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
I'm leaning towards Brees, too. I prefer Johnson over McFadden, though. 

I just think the Raiders are going to have to go to him A LOT... But I wouldn't say anything bad about your rankings.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
I just think the Raiders are going to have to go to him A LOT... But I wouldn't say anything bad about your rankings.

That's a good point.

To be honest, I've only started getting into fantasy in the last few years so I've got a long way to go. Taking it pretty seriously this year, though, as there's a lot of money to be won. Running through mock drafts and everything.  8)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
Here's a mock draft I just went through where I grabbed Brees first (first time I've done this in a mock). How would you rate this draft? Needs some work but it went OK. Grabbed the defense much earlier than I wanted (usually second-to-last round) but 4 people grabbed D's before me and I saw Houston was still there so I grabbed them.

In order:

Brees - QB
DeMarco Murray - RB
Steven Jackson - RB
Wes Welker - WR
Antonio Gates - TE
Antonio Brown - WR
Miles Austin - WR
Shonn Greene - RB
CJ Spiller - RB
Robert Meachem - WR
Houston Defense
Andy Dalton - QB
Greg Little - WR
Kendall Wright - WR
PK (Henery - Pitt)

Any suggestions? The elite TEs these days are really making me think about where I should draft them, too. This mock draft had Graham and Gronk go in round 2.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
In most league scoring systems, the disparity between a top QB and a decent one isn't all that, once you're outside the big three.

I usually don't draft QBs unitl the 6th or 7th round, always taking the best RB/WR available.
Y

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
In most league scoring systems, the disparity between a top QB and a decent one isn't all that, once you're outside the big three.

I usually don't draft QBs unitl the 6th or 7th round, always taking the best RB/WR available.

Yeah, this year I'm leaning towards:

RB
RB
WR
WR

and then grabbing a QB from the second tier (maybe even after a TE if one of those big ones falls to me). I've just been thinking that Brees may fall to me as one of the guys has hinted that he might grab Calvin Johnson in the first 6 picks (which I don't agree with but he's welcome to do it).

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »
youre right in the shaft area of the draft order

top 3 qb's will be gone as well as the top 3 rb's.

If ray rice, foster or mccoy are available I would go with them. I would probably go rb if there is a good option out there.

With only 10 teams you will be able to scoop up a second tier qb later on in the draft at a value price. Schaub, Eli, Matt ryan, rapelisburger etc.

thats just me though.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
youre right in the shaft area of the draft order

top 3 qb's will be gone as well as the top 3 rb's.

If ray rice, foster or mccoy are available I would go with them. I would probably go rb if there is a good option out there.

With only 10 teams you will be able to scoop up a second tier qb later on in the draft at a value price. Schaub, Eli, Matt ryan, rapelisburger etc.

thats just me though.

This is exactly what I was thinking. In probably the shittiest spot for drafting which is why I'm thinking about it so much. I'm definitely going to go with Rice, Foster or McCoy if one of them drops. I'm hoping that dude is dumb enough to grab Johnson in the first 6.

Been grabbing Ryan in a few of mock drafts and I've been liking how that has ended up looking.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »

True, but will he stay healthy? Million dollar question

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
True, but will he stay healthy? Million dollar question

I think so... last years injury was not indicative of a career of injuries.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
Well, something got screwed in the "picking" phase and I ended up picking 10th, which kind of fucked my entire draft plan.

Anyway, here's how I drafted. Thoughts? Needs?

Chris Johnson (RB)
Maurice Jones-Drew (RB)
Wes Welker (WR)
Mike Wallace (WR)
Peyton (QB)
Antonio Gates (TE)
Reggie Wayne (WR)
Jonathan Stewart (RB)
Santonio Holmes (WR)
Isaac Redman (RB)
Anquan Boldin (WR)
David Wilson (RB)
Josh Freeman (QB)
Pierre Thomas (RB)
Detroit (Def)
Dan Bailey (K)

Went OK, I guess. I'm already regretting the MJD pick, though. Could have went Forte.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »
Well, something got screwed in the "picking" phase and I ended up picking 10th, which kind of fucked my entire draft plan.

Anyway, here's how I drafted. Thoughts? Needs?

Chris Johnson (RB)
Maurice Jones-Drew (RB)
Wes Welker (WR)
Mike Wallace (WR)
Peyton (QB)
Antonio Gates (TE)
Reggie Wayne (WR)
Jonathan Stewart (RB)
Santonio Holmes (WR)
Isaac Redman (RB)
Anquan Boldin (WR)
David Wilson (RB)
Josh Freeman (QB)
Pierre Thomas (RB)
Detroit (Def)
Dan Bailey (K)

Went OK, I guess. I'm already regretting the MJD pick, though. Could have went Forte.
WR look good, RB are decent I like stewart and Johnson. I think MJD will play this season but it may take a few weeks before he is back to 100%

Probably going to need to upgrade your QB if you get the chance. I think Peyton will have a good season but Ive seen enough in preseason to make me worry about it.

Overall not bad for 10th pick, do you guys do a snake or one off the top?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
WR look good, RB are decent I like stewart and Johnson. I think MJD will play this season but it may take a few weeks before he is back to 100%

Probably going to need to upgrade your QB if you get the chance. I think Peyton will have a good season but Ive seen enough in preseason to make me worry about it.

Overall not bad for 10th pick, do you guys do a snake or one off the top?

Snake. Which kind of sucked having to draft 2x in a row.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
Snake. Which kind of sucked having to draft 2x in a row.
shit that was the only thing I like about it, you have to wait a long ass time between picks every other round but you get back to back picks which I liked.

After seeing johnson tonight I think he will be a great pick especially for the value. Ive been watching flacco too and I tihnk boldin will end up being one of your starters after a couple weeks especially if youre in a PPR league. Flacco is really putting his shit together so I think boldin and smith are great picks later in the draft.

I would still look for a good QB but you may be able to play match ups like you do with defenses with the number of teams and if ppl dont hoard them.

All and all I think you may lose a few games early in the season but you will come back strong later, make sure to keep your eyes on the play offs and match ups so you can kick some ass when you get in.