Author Topic: Powerlifter dies in a bench-press contest  (Read 15117 times)

slate

• Getbig IV
Re: Powerlifter dies in a bench-press contest
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »

He had a heart attack a little while afterwards....its not instant death
it was most likely due to genetic predisposition...

nefario

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
it was most likely due to genetic predisposition...

"Athlete died in the powerlifting competition August 25, 2012 City Shahty. Igor Golushkin. He died after injuring his heart, diaphragm, broken ribs and torn abdominal cavity. He was 34 years old and was attemping to lift 185kg"

http://www.frequency.com/video/igor-golushkin-weightlifter-dies-in/58594712

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »
No need to watch the video but that's terrible.  RIP

Not sure what to say about the spotters...185 kg isn't really unmanageable for two decent spotters.   :-\
I don`t think I have ever seen any spotter be much of any help whatsoever at the competitions.  What is their purpose anyways?  There is no way they would be able to catch that weight once its dropped without some injury to the lifter.  Human reaction time is not that fast, nor would they be able to apply the needed force to halt the weight. 

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
I don`t think I have ever seen any spotter be much of any help whatsoever at the competitions.  What is their purpose anyways?  There is no way they would be able to catch that weight once its dropped without some injury to the lifter.  Human reaction time is not that fast, nor would they be able to apply the needed force to halt the weight. 

Deflect, aid, control, or pull off.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
I don`t think I have ever seen any spotter be much of any help whatsoever at the competitions.  What is their purpose anyways?  There is no way they would be able to catch that weight once its dropped without some injury to the lifter.  Human reaction time is not that fast, nor would they be able to apply the needed force to halt the weight.  

Spotters should be able to assist getting heavy weight under control quick/well enough to prevent a lifter from getting severely injured (or dying!).  

I was at a meet once and saw someone fail on a VERY heavy bench press.  The weight came down in a split second right towards his face...the spotters caught the bar as the lifter's head was turned completely to the side and the bar was within millimeters of his face.  Crazy.  His face would have been smashed.

Spotters can also help to instill confidence on heavy lifts at big meets.  The spotters at the Olympia powerlifting meet were totally awesome.  I completely failed on my opening squat at the Olympia...the back spotter was so good that it gave me more confidence for the rest of my lifts.

:)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »

Spotters should be able to assist getting heavy weight under control quick/well enough to prevent a lifter from getting severely injured (or dying!).  

I was at a meet once and saw someone fail on a VERY heavy bench press.  The weight came down in a split second right towards his face...the spotters caught the bar as the lifter's head was turned completely to the side and the bar was within millimeters of his face.  Crazy.  His face would have been smashed.

Spotters can also help to instill confidence on heavy lifts at big meets.  The spotters at the Olympia powerlifting meet were totally awesome.  I completely failed on my opening squat at the Olympia...the back spotter was so good that it gave me more confidence for the rest of my lifts.

why can you not use a cage?? maybe a dumb question because i aint a power lifter ;)

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »
He was using the death grip, aptly named.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
why can you not use a cage?? maybe a dumb question because i aint a power lifter ;)

Some now are. But the promoters big gripe over the years has been time and cost. They don't want it on the bench press because you'd have to adjust and re adjust it for every lifter on every lift. Also it blocks photographers and judges eyes.

The biggest thing during these meets is time, most last close to the whole day, and as Julio Ceasar mentioned, people get bored and cranky, so most meets are done without them. Also lifters on their own never raised a fuss over it, so it's business as usual.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »
Ok  i asked ripitubbaby but the slag is too good to answer ???

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Ok  i asked ripitubbaby but the slag is too good to answer ???

Sorry I stepped away from getbig for a little while  ::)

A cage is tough for judging, etc.  The benches at the Olympia had safety racks and they were awesome.  That's obviously ideal but I would imagine the equipment is more expensive.   And as BB said, we all had to get on the equipment before the meet and size everything up...rack heights, safety bars, etc.  It has to be recorded and changed for every lifter.  But yes, that's ideal.

:)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
wow the guy in the red couldve atleast caught 80 pounds of the force what a dick head just standing there not giving a fuck
A

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

Sorry I stepped away from getbig for a little while  ::)

A cage is tough for judging, etc.  The benches at the Olympia had safety racks and they were awesome.  That's obviously ideal but I would imagine the equipment is more expensive.   And as BB said, we all had to get on the equipment before the meet and size everything up...rack heights, safety bars, etc.  It has to be recorded and changed for every lifter.  But yes, that's ideal.

Ok thank you i apoligise for my comment.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »
Would he have died if the bar were a fat bar/axel? Hmm...just wondering.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
That is bizarre and rather concerning.  I wonder what happened with his grip.  The youtube version of that press is just too pixelated to be sure.

Safety bars might not have saved him.  I've only seen one bench with them but they do not extend very far down the body (for obvious reasons).

Though I do feel like a complete idiot for 1 repping recently on the only bench WITHOUT safety bars in my gym.

Edit:  I have pressed with bars that spin a little more freely than I would like and I can feel them rotating and stressing my forearms as I press, I'm guessing that bar must have rotated and threw him off.  Any bar that rotates too freely really freaks me out.  I hadn't done 4 plates until recently, and the other thing I wasn't prepared for was bent bar + weight rocking, which also can destabilise you.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »
wow the guy in the red couldve atleast caught 80 pounds of the force what a dick head just standing there not giving a fuck

They could have saved a life, true, but you can't blame the spotters unless they knew and ignored the potential of it slipping out of the grip.  The guy very clearly had the lift. 

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Spotters need to be ready for anything at any time!!!! I blacked out wirth 903 pounds in my hands and it hit me hard, essentially retired from contest for 3 yrs, did not hurt me but scared the shit out of me. As for this guy looks like a thumbless grip was partially to blame also, but yeah spotters should of been right there!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »
They could have saved a life, true, but you can't blame the spotters unless they knew and ignored the potential of it slipping out of the grip.  The guy very clearly had the lift. 
right im sure the impact may have dislodged a chunk of blood fat wich caused the heart attack. regardless i think powerlifting is stupid, the only guys that are good at it are roided chimps
A

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
Open condom style.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »
Looks like spotter wanted him to get hurt, well, he succeeded. Didnt watch tho just read an article. On a side note they wanted to act tough and be considered tough guys, looks like the bar and weights were  tougher than this loser.

slate

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
right im sure the impact may have dislodged a chunk of blood fat wich caused the heart attack. regardless i think powerlifting is stupid, the only guys that are good at it are roided chimps

like i said: genetic predisposition

We know that is what has been causing all these bbing deaths and near deaths. It is not the drugs or the fact that 185 Kg slammed into this guy's chest. That was just the final touch (5% by some accounts)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
He went to failure.

/you guys are slipping

Lol, seriously though. Two times in life you need a spotter, powerlifting and auto erotic asphyxiation.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 07:08:04 PM »
Damn, that was terrible. Shows you lifting these kind of weights is no joke. Too bad for the guy. How he even managed to get up after that is amazing.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
Look at all the damage that drop did. And it only fell about 12 inches. Imagine what would happened if that bar was dropped from 6 feet. It would probably cut the body in half.

Russian weightlifter Igor Golushkin (Игорь Голушкин) died after 185 kg barbell he was trying to bench press at a powerlifting competition in the city of Shahty (Шахты) slipped his grasp and crushed his chest. The crushing weight of the barbell severely hemorrhaged his heart, destroyed his diaphragm, broke his ribs and ripped torn his abdominal cavity.

>34 year old athlete from Rostov-on-Don, Igor Golushkin competed in the weight category of up to 90 kg. While not new to weightlifting, this was his first time in a competition.

>According to expert analysis, Igor Golushkin used an illegal hold that athletes call “open enough” when he was crushed. It was also said that he shouldn’t have been trying his luck with weights beyond what he was capable of handling during training (his maximum bench press during training was 160 kg

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
Jesus fuckin christ that looked like it hurt. It must be humbling to feel yourself bleeding out from the inside.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
"after 185 kg barbell he was"

"illegal hold that athletes call “open enough” "

"his maximum bench press during training was 160 kg".

Yikes, #25kgs/55lbs jump is crazy when your best (and I'm guessing post that was post training cycle) lift was #160. Add to that the thumbless grip, and you're asking for trouble.