Author Topic: need advice from those in the know.  (Read 3199 times)

Motivated_in_AR

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
need advice from those in the know.
« on: November 14, 2005, 10:51:54 AM »
heres my situation...

i'm 28 years old
5'11"
250 lbs

the majority of my fat is in the stomach with teh rest in my lower back. i'm looking to get in better shape and try to build muscle (not get ripped right now mind you) but I cannot afford a gym membership. I have a bench at home with a bar, two dumbells and some weights (bout 300 pounds total, thats it.

i'm wondering what, if anything I can do in this situation to help get myself out of the heart attack danger zone and get fit. diet tips for weight looss are welcome too.

Medicly I have had an injury to the Intercostal (SP?) muscles in my back and have a tricky knee to worry about as well. though I am highly motivated, I certainly dont want to agrivate these.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: need advice from those in the know.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:39:43 AM »
If your back/knee etc r ok id start running.My dads quite a big guy, wen he was at his fittest playing rugby he was about 16 1/2 stone, bout 6'4. he put on weight afta he stopped. he lost 3 stone ina a year by running like 3 times a week,rugby training twice a week and gymin it (just rowing at gym and alittle weights) at lunch times. he ate well and didnt starve himself,only drank at wknd.

If i was u id start up as heavy as u can weights one week followed by week of more circuit like weight program going from one exercise to another with little to no rest,get ur heart rate up and a sweat goin!

This coupled with sensible eating (no need to feel hungry) and running,skipping,swimming,rowing.cycling (any of them or mixture) about 3 times a week for at least 1/2 each time....and u should start seeing weight coming off.

So maybe weights mon/wed/fri. full body.heavy day follwed by lighter circuit type day. (so one week u do heavy twice and light once,then next week to light twice and heavy once-or have one week heavy/one week light),then cardio sessions on tue/thur and mayb sat.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:35:37 PM »
Actually if I was you I'd avoid running because of your knee problem. Consider taking a supplement such as glucosamine. Do cycling and maybe swimming instead. Hiking is also good (up steep hills).

Don't go too heavy on the weights too early either. Go for a rep range of 12 to 15. Later maybe go to lower reps aiming for more strength. Important to cycle reps and weights like powerlifters do to keep making gains.

Here is a sample program:

Monday:
bench press: 2x warm up, 2x12-15
curls: 2x12-15
20 min easy cardio

Tuesday:
1 hour of easy cardio

Wednesday:
chin-ups: 2x12-15 (you may not be able to get the reps to start with)
or dumbell row: 2x12-15
dumbbell press: 2x12-15

Thursday:
1 hour of easy cardio

Friday:
deadlift: 2xwarm up, 2x12-15
dumbell overhead extension: 2x12x15
20 min easy cardio

If you feel too tired from the cardio cut down - don't overdo it too soon. As you start getting fitter and stronger you can start adding more exercises and more weight. I haven't included much in terms of leg training in here so you might consider adding the following as you get into shape and loose weight (be careful with the knee though):

Side lunges: 2x10-15
Squats: 2xwarmup, 2x8

As you get stronger you can go to 3 sets per exercise.
Up the intensity of the cardio gradually. Remember to cycle intensity in cardio as well.

Diet:
Eat at least three times a day.
Include a lot of high fibre food. Make sure you are at least 2x visitor to the mens per day.
Include one serving of low fat protein per meal (around 20g to 30g of protein).
Consider supplementing with protein powder occasionally but do not make this the basis for your diet. Maybe have one or two protein drinks a day (1 scoop in low fat milk or water).
Eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
Eat low fat.
Include fish oil or flaxseed oil as this is good for the joints.
prefer fish over red meat

Don't eat/drink:
white bread
white pasta (eat wholemeal only)
soft drinks
alcohol only occasionally (one glass of red wine once in a while is okay)
processed foods (most processed foods are high in salt and low in nutrients and fibre)

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:33:01 PM »
Forgot to add - as you get down towards your target weight drop back on the cardio.

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:01:05 AM »
You want to lose fat? What's that got to do with weight lifting?

Buy a dog, go for a walk. 45mins, 3 times a week. Take fat burners. Change your diet.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:05:36 AM »
Have to agree with Blaster to a certain degree,  lifting it's self has very little to do with getting rid of body fat, it's how you lift.  If applied, the PHA system and other versions of circuit train will burn the most calories for the effort put into it. This will build stamina (strength & endurance) unlike most systems of training.  But, by and large, the better way is to watch the daily carb's intake while doing stamina training. Tabata (a very superior means of cardio training as regards fat burning) training (or versions of it) is also a very effective method. This can be biking, rowing machines, rope skipping, short sprints, punching a heavy bag, etc. Cardio training does not have to mean hours of running or using a tread mill every week. 

Take 30- 45 minute walks by all means, at a faster pace. Some studies have suggested that it may be equal to or even a better method than long run's for fat reducing and should not induce some injuries that running can produce. Easier on the knee's, hips,lower back, ankles, feet, etc. Coming to the bottom line, that dirty four letter word "Diet" should be the main concern. That does not mean 800 calories a day (you may lose more muscle mass than fat) but can include up to 2,500+ calories a day on a well planned out low carb diet (This is not the Atkin's versions). Even changing to whole grain quality carb food's and going from meat to fish or chicken can make a favorable difference.  Good Luck.

Motivated_in_AR

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:34:20 AM »
oh no no, I intend to begin lifting for bulk later on, I'm talking about what steps would be best to get started with my health in general to get to a safe point to start lifting. or would I be just as safe lifting now?

I'm trying to come up with an overall gameplan.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 09:01:30 AM »
You might as well start weight lifting right now.

Using LIGHT weights, that is.

A lot of people who train, have problem with the form when the lift, they perform the lifts in ways that are potentially harmful.

Spending a lot of time in the beginning with getting the excersises done correctly, will later on pay off tremendously.

Not only will you start with a weight that allows you to focus on the performance of the excersises, but the weight will then also be appropriate for your tendons and ligaments. These will strengthen as time goes on, but you'll be more likely to avoid the newbie mistake of getting problems with elbows, shoulders or knees, if you train light with weights while losing bodyweight.

I suggest using a fullbody routine, twice a week. The cardio should be low impact, so swimming is great, but if that's not possible, walking, excersise bike or something like that is my recommendations.

Avoid running.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Motivated_in_AR

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 09:04:13 AM »
running is already out of the question, my knee cant take the repetitive impacts. though running is the only time I have trouble with it, so I hope lifting wont affect it.

you know...I had never even though of swimming lol...I'll look into that for sure.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »
how about circuit training with weights, low calories, fat burners and just a little bit of running or bike or whatever?

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 10:43:47 AM »
running is already out of the question, my knee cant take the repetitive impacts. though running is the only time I have trouble with it, so I hope lifting wont affect it.

you know...I had never even though of swimming lol...I'll look into that for sure.

I know how u feel, I've had two recos on the one knee.

If ur knee can't handle a jog, forget about leg work. I was the same for a while. I did light physical leg work to build my knee strength up to where I can now play basketball again.

Good luck.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:13:13 PM »
dude

he is 5'11' 250 lbs

i dont think he will be able to do 2 sets of chins for 12-15 reps anytime soon.
Valhalla awaits.