Author Topic: Arms have grown, simple reason  (Read 7460 times)

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
Re: Arms have grown, simple reason
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
Excellent. How many days do a week do you train PJim, I think you follow principles correct? Every workout a person should try to increase if you dont over training is suspect. Your thoughts?

Mr.N, my man. When I first started training at 17 I was doing relatively low volume 2 days a week due to other commitments (school and ill family) and made MASSIVE progress for that year(and I truly believe it wasn't only because it was my first year)...then I tried to be a smartass and increased it to 5 days a week and stopped EXACTLY, (and I mean EXACTLY) the same weight and size for a year.
I then stumbled across Mike Mentzer's books, Jones's stuff and Dorian's articles and whatnot. Long story short, put on about 30 pounds in 5 months lol. I would train once every 4th day, so for example; Mon, Thur,  etc and insert a rest day once I had completed two cycles of bodyparts etc. I cannot explain how fucking amazed me and my main training partner were at the strength and size gains we were making. Did that until I was training once a week and then started the consolidated routine. Did that for about a year and made my most gains, strength went through the roof.
 The consolidate routine takes a lot out of you, we would do a compound exercise and have to sit down and take 10-15 minutes just to move on to the next movement out of unmitigated exhaustion. In practice it sounds dead easy. But when you are completely fresh, rested and strong, warmed up and sitting under half a ton on the leg press and you are doing negatives in what feels and probably looks like slow motion, it's intense stuff.
The thing is, I've trained volume, so I'm allowed to comment on it. I've done 30 sets on arms, I've done every exercise known to man.  But you just can't keep up the intensity and you end up pissing around wasting your time doing curls "for the squeeze" after an hour and a half and you end up feeling smaller for it.
I train once a week now and go through periods of time doing the Ideal routine and then others where I will do consolidated. This is just to give my joints a rest as the heavy compound movements are rough.
To answer your last query, I think the main idea is some sort of steady progress. That word can be applied to both physical mass increases and strength increases. They aren't linear nor predictable. It fluctuates person to person. One month I will gain size, another strength, sometimes both, sometimes I will maintain. I'm not going to get massively stronger nowadays without PED's to be honest, my gains are few and far between the last year, but I can't complain, I've put on a ton of weight and size and don't expect that my body has an unlimited capacity for increasing in strength and size forever!

Just to clarify. I do negatives (for as long as I physically can) on every workout on every rep. I treat them as the focus of each rep of each movement. Forced reps/rest-pause are/is done occasionally because I feel taxing the positive strength after it has failed, ESPECIALLY seen as it is the weakest portion of the contraction is asking for an injury.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
I had 14 inch arms (shredded mind you) at 17 when I started training and I'm 24 with about 18 1/2 relaxed. I couldn't even compare how much the weight has increased tbh. For an idea of strength increase, I could do 1 deadlift with 140kg at 17 and have recently done 15 reps of 3/4 deads (in the rack with the pin set at the shins/knee) with 220kg, included lengthy negatives on each rep i.e 5 seconds plus on each rep.

what would you estimate your bodyfat to have been at both times? when you had shredded 14 inchers and when you had 18.5 inchers

when i was ripped ie. sub-6, i had 14.25 inch cannons lol

later i got them to 16.5 inchers but i was a fat fuck @ roughly 15-17%

i don't think people really realize the true difference btw a conditioned arm and a "fat" arm

also, this "fat arm" isn't just fat but a "water arm" as well

get the arm lean and dry, and then you're talking 8)

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
what would you estimate your bodyfat to have been at both times? when you had shredded 14 inchers and when you had 18.5 inchers

when i was ripped ie. sub-6, i had 14.25 inch cannons lol

later i got them to 16.5 inchers but i was a fat fuck @ roughly 15-17%

i don't think people really realize the true difference btw a conditioned arm and a "fat" arm

also, this "fat arm" isn't just fat but a "water arm" as well

get the arm lean and dry, and then you're talking 8)

I was last taped at about 11 percent. I was as lean as you can get when I was 17 y/o. My arms stay pretty lean regardless to be honest, unlike other bodyparts. I always have horseshoe tris. I never lose any size off of them because of this and they have even sometimes grown a little when I've got leaner ha!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »

Is this guy still alive? Those arms look like they may have to be amputated.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
Mr.N, my man. When I first started training at 17 I was doing relatively low volume 2 days a week due to other commitments (school and ill family) and made MASSIVE progress for that year(and I truly believe it wasn't only because it was my first year)...then I tried to be a smartass and increased it to 5 days a week and stopped EXACTLY, (and I mean EXACTLY) the same weight and size for a year.
I then stumbled across Mike Mentzer's books, Jones's stuff and Dorian's articles and whatnot. Long story short, put on about 30 pounds in 5 months lol. I would train once every 4th day, so for example; Mon, Thur,  etc and insert a rest day once I had completed two cycles of bodyparts etc. I cannot explain how fucking amazed me and my main training partner were at the strength and size gains we were making. Did that until I was training once a week and then started the consolidated routine. Did that for about a year and made my most gains, strength went through the roof.
 The consolidate routine takes a lot out of you, we would do a compound exercise and have to sit down and take 10-15 minutes just to move on to the next movement out of unmitigated exhaustion. In practice it sounds dead easy. But when you are completely fresh, rested and strong, warmed up and sitting under half a ton on the leg press and you are doing negatives in what feels and probably looks like slow motion, it's intense stuff.
The thing is, I've trained volume, so I'm allowed to comment on it. I've done 30 sets on arms, I've done every exercise known to man.  But you just can't keep up the intensity and you end up pissing around wasting your time doing curls "for the squeeze" after an hour and a half and you end up feeling smaller for it.
I train once a week now and go through periods of time doing the Ideal routine and then others where I will do consolidated. This is just to give my joints a rest as the heavy compound movements are rough.
To answer your last query, I think the main idea is some sort of steady progress. That word can be applied to both physical mass increases and strength increases. They aren't linear nor predictable. It fluctuates person to person. One month I will gain size, another strength, sometimes both, sometimes I will maintain. I'm not going to get massively stronger nowadays without PED's to be honest, my gains are few and far between the last year, but I can't complain, I've put on a ton of weight and size and don't expect that my body has an unlimited capacity for increasing in strength and size forever!

Just to clarify. I do negatives (for as long as I physically can) on every workout on every rep. I treat them as the focus of each rep of each movement. Forced reps/rest-pause are/is done occasionally because I feel taxing the positive strength after it has failed, ESPECIALLY seen as it is the weakest portion of the contraction is asking for an injury.
Exactly. Good post and info I tried the volume approach it didnt work for me. I had problems bringing my chest up at once I started doing negative only dips on the Nautilus compound machine which has steps so step up then just let yourself down, I got up to the doing the whole stack and a 25lb added my chest went up quickly. I train a few people on the side just having them train once a week they have made tremendous progress so you are spot on man. The key factor is genes or there would be 100 Mr O's you got what you got bottom line. I train once every 7 days or now and then twice a week works for me.

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 02:12:53 AM »
I do exactly the same thing when doing the consolidated routine on the dips. I will jump up off the stand to get into the negative position and slower lower myself. Oh and for DJ181 this is what my arms looks like when I'm "fat" at 10/11 percent lol or in every day condition.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:35 AM »
I do exactly the same thing when doing the consolidated routine on the dips. I will jump up off the stand to get into the negative position and slower lower myself. Oh and for DJ181 this is what my arms looks like when I'm "fat" at 10/11 percent lol or in every day condition.

it's dj181 to you ;D and don't deny it, you be digging some of them tunes that i be posting up in parker's jam thread 8)

and not to be a d!ck man (coz you're allright in my book) but maybe you could post up a shot of your arm in a side tri pose or a front or back double bi pose? the pic you posted isn't at the best angle brother

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 03:10:27 AM »
it's dj181 to you ;D and don't deny it, you be digging some of them tunes that i be posting up in parker's jam thread 8)

and not to be a d!ck man (coz you're allright in my book) but maybe you could post up a shot of your arm in a side tri pose or a front or back double bi pose? the pic you posted isn't at the best angle brother

I don't tend to take a myriad of different shots to be honest lol. I tend to get bollocked for being a sad k untl when the Mrs either finds them on my phone or catches me taking them  :D. You can have this blurry, old as fuck side-tri I found on my comp from a couple of years ago that would represent my everyday shape. (I am about 15 pounds heavier than that now)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 03:16:56 AM »
I don't tend to take a myriad of different shots to be honest lol. I tend to get bollocked for being a sad k untl when the Mrs either finds them on my phone or catches me taking them  :D. You can have this blurry, old as fuck side-tri I found on my comp from a couple of years ago that would represent my everyday shape. (I am about 15 pounds heavier than that now)

so what do you do for tris?

extensions and dips i presume

i never really got much out of pre-exhust, straight sets always worked best for me

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 03:23:15 AM »
I always thought you had to be a pro bber in order to worry about overtraining, not the average gym-going joe.  Just to throw this out...and I know the guys I'm talking about are not exactly bigger guys.....gymnasts.....bu t I seriously bet that they overtrain a LOT.  And they look great.  I'd rather have the ripped, gymnast physique than having big puffy arms that most getbiggers have.....and its "puffy arm guy" that is always telling you about not overtraining. 

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »
so what do you do for tris?

extensions and dips i presume

i never really got much out of pre-exhust, straight sets always worked best for me

I tend to do extensions followed up into dips or use the rope overhead straight into close grip benches.