Author Topic: New Dog Question  (Read 4792 times)

BigMenace

• Getbig II
New Dog Question
« on: September 16, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
We agreed to take in a Doge De Bordeaux this weekend. My wife's mom bought her as a pup (she's now 7 months) and no longer wants her. She is VERY skittish with strangers (men particularly) to the point she will wedge herself behind furniture and what not to hide. My idiot mother in law seems to think she was abused as a very small pup despite being papered and purchased from a reputable breeder. Fuck I hate my in-laws.....anywho, any tips, suggestions on breaking this timid behaviour? These dogs are suppose to be great protectors and fearless warriors.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: New Dog Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
One of my dogs is a very alert guardian and will run barking ferociously at people walking by our home (if my other dog is present) but will not get within 10 feet of them.  But she is also very timid until she warms up to someone.  She also will wedge herself behind or under furniture at times or stand under my legs if I'm talking to someone she isn't familiar with.  

We got her at 9 weeks at the pound and I don't think she was abused.  Maybe this is just your dog's personality?  Maybe socialize your dog often, if possible.  Take her into the pet store, to visit people, etc.   Princess L, knny and others may have more knowledge to comment on this.

R

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
Yeah, maybe so. That's basically the whole reason my mother in law doesn't want her anymore which is kind of shitty. I was def. thinking along the same lines as far as the socialization goes, but that's really the only think I could think of. I'd post a pic of her if I could figure it out.  :D

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
Here' a pic. Yeah....I'm a big animal lover and have wanted a Bordeaux for a while now!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »
Here' a pic. Yeah....I'm a big animal lover and have wanted a Bordeaux for a while now!

She is adorable!  What is her name?
R

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
Are there any small children in the house...if not do you know any small children in the area?  Small children with good personalities have no equal in socializing dogs.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:01:21 PM »
Are there any small children in the house...if not do you know any small children in the area?  Small children with good personalities have no equal in socializing dogs.

seems odd to sacrifice small children at the altar of socializing dogs, but maybe that's just me.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
seems odd to sacrifice small children at the altar of socializing dogs, but maybe that's just me.

Oh they socialize the dog by handling it at every opportunity, carry it around like a human baby, pull it around in a wagon, dress it in clothes...the normal thing small children do to puppies.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
I would start with a basic puppy obedience training class which will build confidence and socialize her at the same time.
:

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
She is adorable!  What is her name?

"Gracie". She came pre-named haha.

BigMenace

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

Yeah, I have three kids (8,6 & 3), and there is a good 10-15 kids on our street. She does really well with kids, doesn't show much fear or hesitation. She still hasn't completely warmed up to me, but she has definitely improved. She's not as bad walking on a leash as my mother in law led on, the issue is getting the leash on her. As soon as she sees the leash, she bolts, hides and lays down flat. Once we corral her, she walks fairly well. I'll try and throw up some more pics this weekend. Gorgeous dog!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »
Don't always have to award with treat, but definitely praise when they do what you want even if it's a struggle during the process.  This breed is an old breed & they can be a little stubborn.

Continue to keep walking with her.  Spend some time where it's just you & her and don't pressure anything.  What I mean by that she has to walk with you but don't force issues of close physical contact.  Establish a trust with respect.  Take your time & don't forget praise.