Author Topic: how many days per week do you fellas train?  (Read 10181 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: how many days per week do you fellas train?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
I think it really comes down to how you train. Thinking about the track world a 800 meter guy trains hard and so does a 10k guy. The training is comparing apples to oranges though.

To extrapolate that thought to lifting it comes down to volume and intensity. If you are lifting moderate weights for a lot of sets with short rest between them you can train more frequently because it's an endurance based workout. If you are lifting heavy with say 4  to 6 sets per body part you will need time to recover.

So to condense my thoughts; training a body part once a week is a valid way to train if you are training to failure with heavy weights and low sets. If you are pushing the endurance factor with fast high sets twice a week is valid.

All of this doesn't apply if you are putting rocket fuel in your body. (steroids)

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
5-7.

not getting stronger, and dont care to do so.i do it so i can get away with more eating.

I like the way this man thinks.   ;D   lift 6 days / cardio 7 and then yep... I can eat more.   :D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
4x per wk,,,

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 05:44:15 AM »
4.. cant go lower.  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
4.. cant go lower.  ;D

welcome back brother

vive la france 8)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
My newest training split is 2 on 1 off with the body split in the following sequence:

Chest & Back
Delts, Bis ,Tris, Forearms
Quads, Hams, Calves, lower Back

So with 2 on and 1 off the amount of rest that each bp is getting is changing slightly each time

I've also been experimenting with the intensity and volume a bit

I  wanted to give my joints a bit of a break so I've been taking a weight that I can do about 12 reps to failure and doing 5 sets of 8 reps and just focusing on form, contraction and moving kind of fast between sets.   

An example of chest would be incline dumbbell press with a couple of warm up sets then 5x8, then slightl decline dumbell for 4x8 and then either dips or incline db flys for 3x10-12

For arms I'm taking a weight that I can do for about 15 reps and doing 5 sets of 10

It''s not something I will do all the time but it's a nice change of pace when I feel in a rut from trying to always do a max weight to failure on every set.  I've also been getting sore so I think it's good from a stimulus point of view just for variation

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »
My newest training split is 2 on 1 off with the body split in the following sequence:

Chest & Back
Delts, Bis ,Tris, Forearms
Quads, Hams, Calves, lower Back

So with 2 on and 1 off the amount of rest that each bp is getting is changing slightly each time

I've also been experimenting with the intensity and volume a bit

I  wanted to give my joints a bit of a break so I've been taking a weight that I can do about 12 reps to failure and doing 5 sets of 8 reps and just focusing on form, contraction and moving kind of fast between sets.   

An example of chest would be incline dumbbell press with a couple of warm up sets then 5x8, then slightl decline dumbell for 4x8 and then either dips or incline db flys for 3x10-12

For arms I'm taking a weight that I can do for about 15 reps and doing 5 sets of 10

It''s not something I will do all the time but it's a nice change of pace when I feel in a rut from trying to always do a max weight to failure on every set.  I've also been getting sore so I think it's good from a stimulus point of view just for variation

Lee Labrada trained following a similar split ie. a 2on/1off split with the body split up 3-ways

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 02:10:13 AM »
I like training chest+back together too. Sure most train them seperate with a small muscle group or on their own but i like the pump.. supersets Benches then rowing...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
I like training chest+back together too. Sure most train them seperate with a small muscle group or on their own but i like the pump.. supersets Benches then rowing...

yep, I always alternate chest exercise with a back exercise - my favorite if probably incline barbell press and front chins

I also like doing the same thing with presses with favorite being dumbell press alternated with shoulder width parallel grip pulldowns