Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
December 06, 2016, 05:31:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 137707 times)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #1850 on: December 01, 2016, 07:34:11 PM »

Today was a cardio day:

6 x half miles (800 meters) One quarter mile fast walk recovery in between half mile sets.

I started at 7.1 MPH and took it down to 8.0 MPH. That's 8:27 pace down to 7:30 pace. I was a pool of sweat.  Ran to Rick Springfield and Tom Jones.  Don't judge me.  Hit the heavy bag afterwards for two three minute rounds.

Had to do the workout before work. I was there when it opened at 6AM.

Gym Observation:

I was on the treadmill for about 50 minutes and two guys in their 50's talked to each other for the entire time. Didn't see them do one set.  WTF?

Report to moderator   Logged
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #1851 on: December 02, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »

I have always tipped barbers since when I was a kid to now. It was an EXTRA tip like I wrote.  

Not that I'm in a position to tip a barber, but what do you think is a good tip (including extras)? When eating out, I tip 20% rounded up unless the service was a total failure. Other areas, like barbers and cabbies, I am never sure what is an appropriate tip.
chaos
Getbig V

Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

« Reply #1852 on: December 04, 2016, 05:59:27 PM »

If someone says they are as good as they were athletically when they are in their 40 and 50's never really reached reached their potential when they were younger. Think about it. Are there any 45 plus guys in the NFL?  Any 50 year old contenders in the UFC?  Any 50 year old sprinters, milers or marathon runners in the top 20 in the world?  

No, I can't do what I could in my youth. Yes, I do think I damaged my body from a life of athletics. It's just wear and tear.  
We're talking about lifting weights here. For example, you're complaining that your shoulder cringes at flat bench, did you have a specific event that caused an injury or did it build up over time and finally at age ** you had enough?

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #1853 on: December 04, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »

Not that I'm in a position to tip a barber, but what do you think is a good tip (including extras)? When eating out, I tip 20% rounded up unless the service was a total failure. Other areas, like barbers and cabbies, I am never sure what is an appropriate tip.

I tip 20% at restaurants.  I don't get the tipping culture. If you get bad service and don't tip I can only imagine the insults that would get thrown your way.  Knowing people in the industry regarding restaurants and big bars it's not uncommon that the bar tenders and waiters are forced to pool their tips at the end of the day. The manager takes it all to his office and divides up the money taking a huge chunk for himself.  

Regarding a barber I give a $5 dollar tip.  I know many go to beauty parlors that charge a lot but I just go to a barber. I get my hair cut every third week.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #1854 on: December 04, 2016, 06:54:26 PM »

We're talking about lifting weights here. For example, you're complaining that your shoulder cringes at flat bench, did you have a specific event that caused an injury or did it build up over time and finally at age ** you had enough?

My shoulder seemed bullet proof till I reached about 54.  Then it seemed it was shot.  I think it might be part of a bicep rupture that I had repaired contributing to the the problem.  I did full range press behind the neck for around 40 years without any problem what so ever.  Now I would be in pain for a long time using a light weight. I have arthritis, slap tear, cartilage problem and I believe the bicep repair 10 years ago is now contributing to my tendinitis at the superior origin of the bicep tendon.

Regarding aging and it's a real thing. No one gets out alive. I remember when I was young running a 6 minute mile was an easy joke and I thought I would be able to that till I was 70.  Guess what? I can't do it now.  Maybe with specialized training 6 days a week for months I might have a shot.   As a 20 year old I could run that without running for months.  I use to be one of the young guys in a gym or the track saying age is no excuse.  I wish I could go back in time and take my words back. 
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #1855 on: December 04, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »

I have to go to Oklahoma of all places next week. I am already having anxiety about not working out for the week.  In reality it will be good for me to take a break.  Tuesday I will have a last workout, then on Wednesday fly out coming back Sunday.  
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #1856 on: December 04, 2016, 07:28:33 PM »

I tip 20% at restaurants.  I don't get the tipping culture. If you get bad service and don't tip I can only imagine the insults that would get thrown your way.  Knowing people in the industry regarding restaurants and big bars it's not uncommon for the bar tenders and waiters are forced to pool their tips at the end of the day. The manager takes it all to his office and divides up the money taking a huge chunk for himself.  

Regarding a barber I give a $5 dollar tip.  I know many go to beauty parlors that charge a lot but I just go to a barber. I get my hair cut every third week.

Are you aware that tip pooling is addressed by the U.S. Department of Labor? https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf Here is another good read on the subject of tip pooling: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tip-pooling-credits-service-employees-29804.html

Tips are treated as income by the IRS. As such there are tax laws pertaining to tips. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/reporting-tip-income-restaurant-tax-tips

Without doubt, there are employers who don't comply with these rules.

In Germany, where I visited this fall, the norm is to round-up the bill as a tip. If there isn't much to round up, folks sometimes add a Euro or so as a tip. Service employees earn a decent wage, usually with benefits, such as sick leave, health care insurance and vacation. Americans who aren't aware of this sometimes leave tips like they would in the U.S. a rule of thumb is to tip between 5 and 10%.
chaos
Getbig V

Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

« Reply #1857 on: December 05, 2016, 06:42:15 PM »

My shoulder seemed bullet proof till I reached about 54.  Then it seemed it was shot.  I think it might be part of a bicep rupture that I had repaired contributing to the the problem.  I did full range press behind the neck for around 40 years without any problem what so ever.  Now I would be in pain for a long time using a light weight. I have arthritis, slap tear, cartilage problem and I believe the bicep repair 10 years ago is now contributing to my tendinitis at the superior origin of the bicep tendon.

Regarding aging and it's a real thing. No one gets out alive. I remember when I was young running a 6 minute mile was an easy joke and I thought I would be able to that till I was 70.  Guess what? I can't do it now.  Maybe with specialized training 6 days a week for months I might have a shot.   As a 20 year old I could run that without running for months.  I use to be one of the young guys in a gym or the track saying age is no excuse.  I wish I could go back in time and take my words back. 
Ok more like the kind of answer I was looking for. I feel like I'm doing pretty good, all the sports I played and I barely have a niggle in my left knee that acts up sometimes. As far as tendinitis goes, have you considered skipping pull ups/pulldowns for a week or two? I find heavy pulldowns really irritate the shit out of my tendinitis.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #1858 on: December 05, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »

Ok more like the kind of answer I was looking for. I feel like I'm doing pretty good, all the sports I played and I barely have a niggle in my left knee that acts up sometimes. As far as tendinitis goes, have you considered skipping pull ups/pulldowns for a week or two? I find heavy pulldowns really irritate the shit out of my tendinitis.

Yes, pull ups and pulldowns do irritate it. I do notice I can do Hammer strength pulldowns without irritation at all.  Just a different path in the pulldown.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!