Author Topic: Best addition to any powdered protein shake...  (Read 3886 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Best addition to any powdered protein shake...
« on: October 09, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
These days I stick to whey isolate and I do add glutamine (one of the only supplements I still buy) and fiber husk (to slow digestion and because I eat very low carb I need extra fiber)...

Over the last few weeks I've been adding 2-4 tbsp of 35% cream (I mix my shakes in water) after shaking up the powders (so the cream doesn't thicken).

What I've noticed:
  - Sustained feeling of 'fullness' after the shake
  - Improved taste/texture (shake is creamier)

Additionally I suspect that the added healthy fat allows for improved protein synthesis and improved recovery.

Has anyone else tried this? The idea is far from revolutionary (all the old timers used to chug raw eggs in cream) but this is a slightly more palpable application.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Best addition to any powdered protein shake...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
Yes! Heavy cream is great to use with shakes.
Zane used to add several tablespoons to his, while many bodybuilders before him used much more.
Arnold reportedly mixed the powder & cream into a pudding-like consistency. Blair and Gironda instructed their guys to use raw eggs and cream.
The fat supposedly aids in nutrient absorption. Without carbs, guys actually leaned out on this concoction.

While I would never recommend anyone do this, I routinely consume 6 raw eggs each day, and mix my shakes with whole milk and heavy cream. I recently tried one of Blair's pudding recipes mixing 3 scoops of powder with 6 eggs & just enough cream to thin it out a bit. The taste was NOT at all unpleasant. In fact, I looked forward to it.

The powder I used was a custom blend of casein, whole egg, beef, and whey solids. I ate the mix over four separate feedings between regular meals. The feeling of satiety was insane. I craved nothing and wasn't even hungry once that day.
I plan to try this every day for several weeks to gauge how my body responds.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
looks good...

my one caution to anyone trying to add fat to their diet is avoid sugar and carbs...

nothing causes you to gain weight faster than a high fat diet with insulin spikes...

high fat (50% of calories or more) should be eaten as part of a keto-style (preferably paleo-keto) diet

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
looks good...

my one caution to anyone trying to add fat to their diet is avoid sugar and carbs...

nothing causes you to gain weight faster than a high fat diet with insulin spikes...

high fat (50% of calories or more) should be eaten as part of a keto-style (preferably paleo-keto) diet

Really?
I always thought that a calorie is just a calorie.
 ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »

Really?
I always thought that a calorie is just a calorie.
 ;D

well... a calorie is a calorie in a bomb calorimeter...

but nutrient absorption within the human organism is far more complete...

i need necrosis to help me out here... he's the smart one, i'm the strong one  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
well... a calorie is a calorie in a bomb calorimeter...

but nutrient absorption within the human organism is far more complete...

Indeed.
I was being facetious.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
These days I stick to whey isolate and I do add glutamine (one of the only supplements I still buy) and fiber husk (to slow digestion and because I eat very low carb I need extra fiber)...

Over the last few weeks I've been adding 2-4 tbsp of 35% cream (I mix my shakes in water) after shaking up the powders (so the cream doesn't thicken).

What I've noticed:
  - Sustained feeling of 'fullness' after the shake
  - Improved taste/texture (shake is creamier)

Additionally I suspect that the added healthy fat allows for improved protein synthesis and improved recovery.

Has anyone else tried this? The idea is far from revolutionary (all the old timers used to chug raw eggs in cream) but this is a slightly more palpable application.

Have you tried mascarpone?   YUMMM ;)
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
Have you tried mascarpone?   YUMMM ;)

of course... but i wouldn't add it to a strawberry whey shake...  ;D

Jay8899

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
Ive added Greek yogurt and creatine to my whey shakes and well do it often..All depends to be honest.Also from my own knowledge L Glutamine is worthless and has no benefits bodybuilding wise.I mever used it and never will.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
1 scoop whey with greek yogurt most are 15 to 18 grams gets u 40 or so grams plus taste,,,