Author Topic: chins or Barbell rows  (Read 5251 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
chins or Barbell rows
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:09:45 AM »
If you had to choose between the 2 what would you do? I would choose 100% Barbell Rows with an under grip. It seems to thicken and widen my back. Rows work more muscles in my opinion. i have done a back workout with just Deadlifts and Bent over barbell rows and got good results. Are chins overrated??

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: chins or Barbell rows
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »
If you had to choose between the 2 what would you do? I would choose 100% Barbell Rows with an under grip. It seems to thicken and widen my back. Rows work more muscles in my opinion. i have done a back workout with just Deadlifts and Bent over barbell rows and got good results. Are chins overrated??
chins and lat pulldowns are good for back width. rows are good but as you get older i think it's wise to switch to one arm db rows to avoid back issues.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »
 ;D
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
Db rows!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:20:52 PM »
I love both and I think both should be done, but if I was forced to choose I would pick chins.

Easier to maintain form

Can go as heavy as a 1rm or as light as you can manage with your bw.

Strength in relation to bw can never be overstated

Can be used as a crude way  to gauge the quality of the weight you are gaining, you can't get fatter and fatter and still progress on chins.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
I like DB rows too and pull-ups with an over grip i can use bodyweight and thatīs enough for me...chin- ups i can use a bit of extra weight but still i love to row. I really love to do bent over barbell rows then Deadlifts.

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 01:29:25 AM »
i actually don't like bb rows that much, i find it hard to do, as opposed to any supported row: db row, machines, etc...
chins are great, top5 exercise

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 03:40:06 AM »
bb rows if done correctly can add serious mass to your back..so don't ego lift, feel the muscle working
can't neglect chins as they build width, pulldown too
T

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:43:33 AM »
I do both.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:36:12 AM »
I do both.
me as well...i warmup 3x 12-15 reps bodyweight chins,,then 2nd exercise a tbar or traditional bentover row,,wicked pump starting with chins.

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:04:39 PM »
DUMBELL rows and chins and sometimes seated machine row.

That's all I do and it WORKS.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
Theres never a line at the pull up bar ;D
p

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »
Dan18, so true.

Have a longer ROM with the overhead chin. And the old idea of a body moving in space requires more supporting muscle involvement, may be somewhat true. Much less stress on the lower back, hard to cheat on the chin and it can be used as a power exercise. With positive or negative chins, huge weight can be handled. Extra wide grips tend to give a better stretch and hit the posterior delts very well. Personal choice; would prefer chins over pulldown type machines. One arm chins build impressive backs, grips and strength. both versions hit the ab's quite well.

Regular BB rows have a shorter ROM. Can pull to the lower abs  or with a wider grip, pull to the mid to upper chest, and work the posterior delts and inner sections of the traps, all the while still calling on  the lat's for their share of work. Rows work the lower back strongly, as they also work the hams. The medium to close curl grip seems to be a favorite of some very large and strong men and is an exercise worth exploring.

Personal view; I never got the results I wanted from DB one arm rows. Some swear by them and good for them. Just did not do it for me.

Both are effective movements, and really can't say which one is better than the other. May depend a lot on the selected hand/grip position one would work with. Even a few inches difference in grip (over/under/wide/narrow/etc), in either exercise, could make a world of difference as to how much positive results you may get.

Give each a equal fair shot. Suggest using both in a serious back workout.  

Might suggest, as a basic back workout:

1...pullovers
2...chins
3...BB rows
4...BB Shrugs

Good Luck.
F

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 03:00:28 AM »
Probably genetics determine what exercise 'works' best for people. I found when i got into chins with added weight working them first every single back workout, that i gained alot of width. BB rows are my all time favourite exercise , but i think both should be in the same routine every week