Author Topic: How many people remember this Company?  (Read 6735 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: How many people remember this Company?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
i still to this day wonder if that first batch of phosphagen HP was tainted with steroids , my arms felt so crazy pumped like that had been pumped up with an air compressor
A

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
the training program was a spin-off on Mike Mentzer's old Heavy Duty routine which he actually used back in the late 70s

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
I remember it. I watched part of the video when it came out....   I was confused because there was so much emphasis on training and starving yourself.

Never fell for it   :D

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
i still to this day wonder if that first batch of phosphagen HP was tainted with steroids , my arms felt so crazy pumped like that had been pumped up with an air compressor

Your brain believed and your body followed... nothing more.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
Seriously gentlemen, MetRx blew away Cybergenetics.  Both had incredible marketing campaigns, but MetRx took the cake.  Phillips did not make outrageous claims, but he sure did imply them.  Phillips had everyone in on MetRx train... Lee Labrada (ESPN commercials), Jeff Everson ("walks like a duck, it must be a duck"), Dr Scott Connelly (invented the term "anti-catabolic"), Danny Hester (looked great then).  I'm probably missing a few more shills.  Phillips even mentioned that Clint Eastwood was using the product while filming the movie "The Rookie" and gave MetRx the credit for Clint's arm development.

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
Danny, Hester still looks good! I saw him at the Mr Olympia expo,and he looked jst as good if not better then he used to.He wears glasses now, Danny and his wife, are really nice people.They own there own gym in California.Danny is thinking of doing Nationals, coming up really quick here.He said, he is training nd if he feels he is ready, he wil do the show as a Middelweight.Danny is no mass monster and he isnt huge, but he has great shape.He has great lines and good detail.
I think if he does Nationals he will be on the top 3 for sure.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:35 AM »
Seriously gentlemen, MetRx blew away Cybergenetics.  Both had incredible marketing campaigns, but MetRx took the cake.  Phillips did not make outrageous claims, but he sure did imply them.  Phillips had everyone in on MetRx train... Lee Labrada (ESPN commercials), Jeff Everson ("walks like a duck, it must be a duck"), Dr Scott Connelly (invented the term "anti-catabolic"), Danny Hester (looked great then).  I'm probably missing a few more shills.  Phillips even mentioned that Clint Eastwood was using the product while filming the movie "The Rookie" and gave MetRx the credit for Clint's arm development.

Wasn't Bill Phillips EAS and Muscle Media, and Met-Rx Scott Conelly

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »
Didn't they get the idea for the name from the Terminator movie?

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »

Tried it back in the 80's. Great if you were fat but was a joke!

I remember it, they had Lee Priest in their ads IIRC.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 01:36:01 AM »
Wasn't Bill Phillips EAS and Muscle Media, and Met-Rx Scott Conelly

What happen was Phillips was your standard bodybuilding fan that had family money and a successful little news letter (Anabolic Update) , he hooks up with Connelly, who was at the time, a critical care hospital doctor. They decide to try and market Connelly's recovery drink to lifters via Phillips's news letter. The news letter turns into Muscle Media 2000, and steadily promotes Met-Rx and Bill's circle of friends.

Phillips's becomes friends with the original owners of EAS, a pair of scientist that were researching creatine. He helps them promote Phosphagen through MM, then a bit later buys the company out right. The split with Connelly came around then, I'm not sure of all the in and outs, but EAS released their own MPR, a horrible tasting creatine/protein blend called Phospagain, then a year or so later, Myoplex.

It was a nasty split, and for many years Met-Rx was banned from being mentioned in Muscle Media, they'd call it the leading brand, or bar out the full name.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »
Muscle Media 2000 was the bomb in the mid-90s

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 05:33:26 AM »
What happen was Phillips was your standard bodybuilding fan that had family money and a successful little news letter (Anabolic Update) , he hooks up with Connelly, who was at the time, a critical care hospital doctor. They decide to try and market Connelly's recovery drink to lifters via Phillips's news letter. The news letter turns into Muscle Media 2000, and steadily promotes Met-Rx and Bill's circle of friends.

Phillips's becomes friends with the original owners of EAS, a pair of scientist that were researching creatine. He helps them promote Phosphagen through MM, then a bit later buys the company out right. The split with Connelly came around then, I'm not sure of all the in and outs, but EAS released their own MPR, a horrible tasting creatine/protein blend called Phospagain, then a year or so later, Myoplex.

It was a nasty split, and for many years Met-Rx was banned from being mentioned in Muscle Media, they'd call it the leading brand, or bar out the full name.

I remember Met-Rx had creatine in it when it first came out.Troy Aikman was the spokesmen

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »
Cybergenecs was REAL popular! I even tried that shit! Didnt work for crap. Neither did Hot Stuff or boron. The supps back in the 80's were shit! Only thing that worked was Ultimate Orange

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
Cybergenecs was REAL popular! I even tried that shit! Didnt work for crap. Neither did Hot Stuff or boron. The supps back in the 80's were shit! Only thing that worked was Ultimate Orange

yep, ultimate orange was da shit 8)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 06:45:41 AM »
I remember the 'vortex' amino acids from this company. :-D pretty good.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 07:14:19 AM »
Muscle Media 2000 was the bomb in the mid-90s

+1

Remember that long awaited article about the guy who successfully smuggled gear back over the border from MEX?  Back then, it felt like watching an episode of Locked Up Abroad.  lol

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 07:26:52 AM »

+1

Remember that long awaited article about the guy who successfully smuggled gear back over the border from MEX?  Back then, it felt like watching an episode of Locked Up Abroad.  lol

yep, they kept it real back then in that mag

including dan ducahine's articles and the promotion of creatine as it was and still is the one and only valid legal supp for size and stength gains

they also gave the ECA stack on good push back then, from what i remember

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 07:36:33 AM »

Cool, thanks for explaining, didn't know phillips was a partner in Met-Rx originally. So Connelly was actually a real doctor.

Both companies became real big, sponsored major events, lots of exposure

And props to Phillips, back in the day, duchaine's day, MM2k was a great mag

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 07:51:36 AM »

I remember Met-Rx had creatine in it when it first came out.Troy Aikman was the spokesmen

I don't think the original Met-Rx had creatine.  Creatine was introduced as Phosphagen by EAS.  At least that's what I remember.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »

HA!...I think the 80's were when ALL of us were really gullible and fell for everything advertised in the magazines...I think because thats when bodybuilding began to be marketed better and the builds of that time looked as if they could be attainable...also the personalities around then helped to push all that junk on us before we all realized that it was all about drugs and nothing else....

I remember other supps like Carnitine, Chromium Picolinate, Smilax (which I got taken to the cleaners twice for $35.00 per bottle!!!!)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
I don't think the original Met-Rx had creatine.  Creatine was introduced as Phosphagen by EAS.  At least that's what I remember.
CORRECT METRX WAS 2 BASE POWDERS ORIGINALLY

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »
CORRECT METRX WAS 2 BASE POWDERS ORIGINALLY

Yes, but one was "Base" and the other one was "Plus".  One had the carbs and thickener and the other had the protein.  It cost a ridiculous amount of money too, something like $70-80 for those two small containers.  The main part of the forumula was casein protein, maltodextrin, corn syrup solids and xanthan gum.

Polish Power

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
Company to first come out with creatine in a 2gm wafer was Atletika

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »
Company to first come out with creatine in a 2gm wafer was Atletika

was that before sportpharma?