As a member of the evil empire I will tell u the last person I'm going to let go is someone doing their job well. Even in and especially during downturns. And even with proper documentation the biggest clown screwing off at their job will most likely get unemployment. I've learned even in the most egregious examples of a lazy ass I don't even fight the case anymore. They usually get it no matter wut. It's just another example of our system rewarding laziness. Not worth my time.
x1000 Been there, done that.
1) Missing 30 out of the first 90 days of probation
2) Documented patient complaints
3) Documented dress code violations
4) Documented texting during work hours
5) Failing to clock in/out multiple times weekly
etc, etc, etc
She was granted the ability to collect unemployment. Took us a long time to fight it.