Author Topic: Zuver's Gym  (Read 85405 times)

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
Re: Zuver's Gym
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »
Hi Robert,

You probably wouldn't remember me, I was just a nobody who came to you Dad's gym to get strong.  I had moved to California and wanted to go to the best "strong man" gym there is, of course, Zuver's Gym.  I knew Ricky, you, your dad and mom, and everyone treated me as if I was important.  Even though I was a skinny kid, a "wanna be" strong man.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to get a pair of the Zuver's 50lb. plates, they are among my prized possessions.  They aren't in good shape but it doesn't matter.  They bring back great memories and are very cool.

I haven't looked closely, but I don't think I have any pictures from those days.  I had some but believe they got destroyed in a flood.  I still see Rudy Lozano occasionally, he may have some pictures.  I'll be glad to ask him.

Although I don't have much contact with him in recent years, however; I was pretty close with Tom Overholtzer for many years.  We helped each other at several power meets over the years.  

I only recently learned via these boards of the loss of your dad and mom.  They were great people and true pioneers  in strength sports.  I am so glad you are working to tell today's Iron Athletes about your parent's gym and more importantly about them.

Regards,

Terry McCormick

Highest Regards

I remember you Terry pull up Robert Zuver on Facebook. I've been in touch with several other guys from the old gym that told me they trained with you there also. Would love to talk with Rudy if you could hook us up.
My email is mrbsfab@gmail.com. Been looking for the rest of the Zuver Powerlifting Teem guys. Found Bill Witting, and Willie Kindred still looking for Tom, Len Ingro, and Jim Waters.send me your email address so we can talk.
Thanks
Bob

Ps
Are you in touch with David Shaw?

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
Hi Robert,

You probably wouldn't remember me, I was just a nobody who came to you Dad's gym to get strong.  I had moved to California and wanted to go to the best "strong man" gym there is, of course, Zuver's Gym.  I knew Ricky, you, your dad and mom, and everyone treated me as if I was important.  Even though I was a skinny kid, a "wanna be" strong man.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to get a pair of the Zuver's 50lb. plates, they are among my prized possessions.  They aren't in good shape but it doesn't matter.  They bring back great memories and are very cool.

I haven't looked closely, but I don't think I have any pictures from those days.  I had some but believe they got destroyed in a flood.  I still see Rudy Lozano occasionally, he may have some pictures.  I'll be glad to ask him.

Although I don't have much contact with him in recent years, however; I was pretty close with Tom Overholtzer for many years.  We helped each other at several power meets over the years. 

I only recently learned via these boards of the loss of your dad and mom.  They were great people and true pioneers  in strength sports.  I am so glad you are working to tell today's Iron Athletes about your parent's gym and more importantly about them.

Regards,

Terry McCormick

Highest Regards

Terry
Don't know if you remember Vincent from the old days at Zuver's, but you were far from a nobody with us.
My dad treated everyone as if they were the best in the world. Didn't matter if you were a skinny kid or a monster lifter, bodybuilder or super strongman. I'm not the only one that remembers who you were and how you got there. My dad spoke of you often through the years as did many others. Vincent was another young lifter that trained around the same time you did with The Zuver's Teem.  He recently posted this post on my Facebook page. Just thought you might like seeing it. You would be welcome anytime to visit my page just as you were always welcome at Our Gym.
Good hearing from you.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »
News Flash
After 45 years The Original 18ft Giant Zuverman is standing in front of his new home after a long trip from the West Coast.  Zuverman was created by Bob Zuver, myself, and artist Eric Askew in 1969.  His new home in front of Brickyard Gym in Darlington Pennsylvania is just one of many over his lifetime.  He stood in front of The Historic Original Zuver's Gym from 1969 to 1978 where he was moved to Zuver's Gym Equipment Factory for display. He made several appearances as the Muscle Icon for The Original TV Worlds Strongest Man Contest. He was than moved and stood over Giants Gym in Portland OR. for many years. He now will overlook Brickyard Gym as a monument to the History of Bob Zuver and his famous Zuver's Gym. It's been a long journey but he now can call this his new home. Perhaps some day some of you Getbiggers can stop by for a visit and a photo or two of this Historic Piece of Zuver's Gym.
LONG MAY HE STAND
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
Wow here is the latest on eBay.
Two sets of the famous Zuver's Hall Of Fame Muscle Plates.
Asking price new record prices.
What do you think?

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
THE ZUVER'S WORLDS BIGGEST DUMBBELL.
Over the years there have been many photos of this great old attraction from The Original Zuver's Gym.
Here are just a few including some recently posted by Big Joe of Iron History.
If anybody has spotted this great piece of Zuver's History in the last few years please let me know where.
Thanks
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
Two more

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Bob, has there been any interest amongst you and/or the family in (re)starting up production of the Zuver equipment line?

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2013, 10:03:16 PM »
Bob, has there been any interest amongst you and/or the family in (re)starting up production of the Zuver equipment line?

I've thought about it many times.  Not sure I'm ready to go back in business at 61.  Have a few company's asking if I would teem up with them and come out with a Classic Zuver Line to add to there's.  Could be something along that line with the right offer as long as it was my design.  
You might just see something next year. I'm pretty booked up till January and havn't had time to sit and discuss things with the interested party's.  I am the end of the Zuver's Gym Family now. I've got to say I would love to see some of our Circle Gym Line of equipment out there agin.
I'm wondering why you asked that question. If you have any ideas on this feel free to email me.
Thanks
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »
The 19th street Costa Mesa Zuver's Gym and Equipment Show Room.
This is the gym after The Original Hamilton Street Gym.
Lou Ferrigno trained here often in the late afternoons.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »
These are the only two pictures of the El Toro Zuver's Gym that I have found so far.
This was the final Zuver's Gym owned by the family.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »

This was just some of the Zuver line of super gym equipment.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2013, 04:52:01 PM »
I'm wondering why you asked that question. If you have any ideas on this feel free to email me.
Thanks
RZ

I honestly have no input; the question was purely out of curiosity. It seems that a great deal of fun and passion went into the business. You obviously have many fond memories, visit them often, and are proud to discuss them with many people...I was curious if the idea of continuing has been entertained.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »
How cool wouldnt it be if someone started up zuvers gym again with the same crazy (in a good way) style ypur dad have.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
How cool wouldnt it be if someone started up zuvers gym again with the same crazy (in a good way) style ypur dad have.
it would be very cool but near impossible to do in this cutthroat world we live in. times change there are very few gyms out there who care about their members like mr zuver did. i think he opened and ran his gym business as a labor of love for the game. now if someone thinks youy are making a buck they move across the street and price you out of the game. seen this many times ib my area as gyms open up to be knocked off by a chain and a still bigger chain moves in and knocks them off. :'( :'( :'(
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
it would be very cool but near impossible to do in this cutthroat world we live in. times change there are very few gyms out there who care about their members like mr zuver did. i think he opened and ran his gym business as a labor of love for the game. now if someone thinks youy are making a buck they move across the street and price you out of the game. seen this many times ib my area as gyms open up to be knocked off by a chain and a still bigger chain moves in and knocks them off. :'( :'( :'(

Sadly it isn't the chains that keep it from happening.  
It's the people themselves.  There just aren't enough people that want a real hardcore gym.  Sadly unless your in a city that has a lot of Pro Bodybuilders or Powerlifters there aren't enough to pay the bills.  Remember back in the Zuver's Gym Days people didn't mind sweating or getting a little dirty.  They had fun working out and pushing each other hard to reach there goals.  Most people today don't have that drive and there only goal is to stay in minnium shape. There not interested in the sport, just staying fit.  I could build a new Zuver's Gym in a heartbeat with all the great things and feelings it once had.  And yes the greats of today would visit now and then and there would be many articles written only now you would be reading them on the Internet in stead of newspapers and magizenes.  Sadly most locales would take one look and call me a dumbass and laugh there way over to there local Fitness Center where they could stand around on a long row of treadmills watching TV. The personnel touch is gone now and most of the younger generation don't have time to work out three to four days a week like we did back then.  The old gyms were our social clubs back then. Guys would come in our gym after work around 5pm and not go home till after closeing around 11pm. many nights after closeing pop would talk with the guys till early morning.  Pop had that personal touch that doesn't exsest today.  A lot of good friends were made that way that are still my friends today.  Sadly a lot are gone now.  Beleave me, I've thought of building a new Zuver's Gym.  It would be something very special as you can only imagine.  But for now I'm trying to incorporate a little Zuver's in some of the newer gyms of the future.
A little old, A little new, And A lot Of Fun.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2013, 11:29:49 AM »
Sadly it isn't the chains that keep it from happening.  
It's the people themselves.  There just aren't enough people that want a real hardcore gym.  Sadly unless your in a city that has a lot of Pro Bodybuilders or Powerlifters there aren't enough to pay the bills.  Remember back in the Zuver's Gym Days people didn't mind sweating or getting a little dirty.  They had fun working out and pushing each other hard to reach there goals.  Most people today don't have that drive and there only goal is to stay in minnium shape. There not interested in the sport, just staying fit.  I could build a new Zuver's Gym in a heartbeat with all the great things and feelings it once had.  And yes the greats of today would visit now and then and there would be many articles written only now you would be reading them on the Internet in stead of newspapers and magizenes.  Sadly most locales would take one look and call me a dumbass and laugh there way over to there local Fitness Center where they could stand around on a long row of treadmills watching TV. The personnel touch is gone now and most of the younger generation don't have time to work out three to four days a week like we did back then.  The old gyms were our social clubs back then. Guys would come in our gym after work around 5pm and not go home till after closeing around 11pm. many nights after closeing pop would talk with the guys till early morning.  Pop had that personal touch that doesn't exsest today.  A lot of good friends were made that way that are still my friends today.  Sadly a lot are gone now.  Beleave me, I've thought of building a new Zuver's Gym.  It would be something very special as you can only imagine.  But for now I'm trying to incorporate a little Zuver's in some of the newer gyms of the future.
A little old, A little new, And A lot Of Fun.

Believe It Or Not
I Still Have That Ugly 1970s Shirt My Dad Was Wearing In The Pics. 

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
Here's what the public wants for a gym.
Sure makes a MAN want to run right out and train hard don't it ?
Lets all thank Planet Fitness Center.
Nothing like PINK to turn on a man.
Makes me want to Barf.
PS
Look how hard there training.