Author Topic: Zuver's Gym  (Read 85868 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Zuver's Gym
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »
Yea
Mike was not about to loose to Lou. Mike, Lou, and Franco were very close on the wrist role event. Mike did rip off a lot of skin on his first try and more on the second. I think you'll like the story ill write on the rest of the show. Have about 200 photos of that contest being converted to a cd from slide's right now. Ill post some of them when I get them back from the lab. There were a lot af good strong men there in that first one. Paul Anderson was also there. Have many never seen before pic's. your in for a treat.
RZ
sounds good.... ;D ;D
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »
Nope there black, gold and white. I panted these and I put these on eBay.

Gotcha.
Must have been the outside lighting. A blue and chrome set would look nice, if not authentic.
 8)

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
i think i took pics  off ironhistory.com they might belong to richard sorin or else somebody was selling them on e-bay, at any rate i know richard sorin has some zuver plates.two  other sites to check out  are ironage.us.forum  and rawiron.com.

Richard does have a few of the Zuver plates. Big rich is a strong man himself. He traines daly and does use my plates. Not bad for a man in his 60s

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:35 AM »

Was Eric a player in the iron-game?

Big M
When Eric was young he was into weightlifting. He was a strong little shit. He worked out back east with the Weider boys but couldn't make a livening at it. So he went overseas to learn from a man they say was the best black velvet artist of all time. The man took Eric under his wing and showed him his teckneaks for the art and made Eric promised not to ever tell anyone else what he learned. Eric kept his promise Eric is still alive and well livening in southern Ca.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
thank you. check out the aau mr america thread on here i put the whole history of contest with pics and commentary in the history thread will bump it to make it easier to find.

Wow that's a great collection of pics of the old time bodybuilders. Saw one that brought back some great memories. Dennis Tinerino. Dennis worked out for a long time at the Costa Mesa Gym. I used to spot him on the bench press and we talked often. He was a hell of a guy that wanted to be a movie star but never made it to that point. He sure as hell made it to be a great Bodybuilder though. He is missed by the Zuver family.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 11:12:34 AM »
Wow that's a great collection of pics of the old time bodybuilders. Saw one that brought back some great memories. Dennis Tinerino. Dennis worked out for a long time at the Costa Mesa Gym. I used to spot him on the bench press and we talked often. He was a hell of a guy that wanted to be a movie star but never made it to that point. He sure as hell made it to be a great Bodybuilder though. He is missed by the Zuver family.
Got to say Funk is a great Guy here in this part of Getbig and really posts some great pictures and articles. Itīs very refreshing to see this area of Getbig full of new life.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
jack lalanne? never woulda of guessed it.

Let's hear it for the Funkster. He is in the know when it comes to history of the iron and though's who used it.
I can see that there it a lot of info available on this site and plan on spending some time here reading and sharing some of mine. Thank's Mr Funk51.
RZ

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
Let's hear it for the Funkster. He is in the know when it comes to history of the iron and though's who used it.
I can see that there it a lot of info available on this site and plan on spending some time here reading and sharing some of mine. Thank's Mr Funk51.
RZ
yes Robert stay with the Getbig Brotherhood. We have lots of talent here.. ;)

POTA

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »
Big M
When Eric was young he was into weightlifting. He was a strong little shit. He worked out back east with the Weider boys but couldn't make a livening at it. So he went overseas to learn from a man they say was the best black velvet artist of all time. The man took Eric under his wing and showed him his teckneaks for the art and made Eric promised not to ever tell anyone else what he learned. Eric kept his promise Eric is still alive and well livening in southern Ca.
Very cool story. Is he still producing work?
Besides the mural and assisting in the design of the plates, was Eric involved with anything else at Zuver's?

POTA

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »

Gotcha.
Must have been the outside lighting. A blue and chrome set would look nice, if not authentic.
 8)
A set of gold ones went on eBay recently for over $4200. Set a record for most ever paid per pound. The gold wasn't authentically done by Robert here, but they still sold for an insane amount.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
Very cool story. Is he still producing work?
Besides the mural and assisting in the design of the plates, was Eric involved with anything else at Zuver's?

Eric painted most of the signs in the gym. All of the signs on the odd lift stage. He also helped in the sculpting of the famous Zuvermen, logo designe for our window decals and patches. We kept him very busy for many years.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
A set of gold ones went on eBay recently for over $4200. Set a record for most ever paid per pound. The gold wasn't authentically done by Robert here, but they still sold for an insane amount.

They also were the plates seen in the poster of Shriley Patterson.

The original very first Shirly poster where she was lifting with Zuver's Muscle Plates will be on display at Brickyard Gym in Darington Pa. starting May 18 2013 Giant Zuverman will be mounted and ready for viewing around July 4th.  Lil Zuverman will be there for the opening on May 18th.  Ill let you know when everything is a go.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
They also were the plates seen in the poster of Shriley Patterson.

Those gold plates are now part of a large privete collection on the east coast.
Long may they shine.
RZ

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
your a great asset to the history board glad you came on.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
Got to say Funk is a great Guy here in this part of Getbig and really posts some great pictures and articles. Itīs very refreshing to see this area of Getbig full of new life.
x2
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
RON from the Clan Getbig give Funky his Stars...make him a star... ;D

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
your a great asset to the history board glad you came on.

Thanks
Hope to  tell more to though's who weren't able to be there way back when.
RZ

POTA

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
Eric painted most of the signs in the gym. All of the signs on the odd lift stage. He also helped in the sculpting of the famous Zuvermen, logo designe for our window decals and patches. We kept him very busy for many years.
RZ
If you're still in contact with him, I wonder if you would be able to get from him sketches and plans he drew out for various things in the Gym.

POTA

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
I was told he did visit and was egged on by my dad to try a few of our odd lifts from the back stage. Perhaps the water Berrel, or the one finger lift. Or my dads favorite The Big 500lb one handed Blob.
RZ

I love how the huge 1200-pound barbell center stage says "try me" on it. Has anyone other than Paul Anderson even put that much weight on their shoulders, haha.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
I love how the huge 1200-pound barbell center stage says "try me" on it. Has anyone other than Paul Anderson even put that much weight on their shoulders, haha.

I was wondering has anybody seen any of this equipment in a gym or a garage somewhere perhaps?
This was part of the equipment we manufactured in the 1970s. We sold thousands of these benches back then and I know there must be some still left out there. If anyone has any please take a picture and send it to me.
Thanks
Bob

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
mike miller from pa area but he since lost weight. he was in the film the wrestler as mickey rourke character's friend.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:20 AM »
mike miller from pa area but he since lost weight. he was in the film the wrestler as mickey rourke character's friend.
miller owns and operates the nazareth barbell company, actually don't know if it's still in existance.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2012, 11:13:04 AM »
miller owns and operates the nazareth barbell company, actually don't know if it's still in existance.

Sounds like he would have liked pop old gym.
He could have tried this big ole lift.
RZ

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Sounds like he would have liked pop old gym.
He could have tried this big ole lift.
RZ
never saw that pic in color before i was thinking you were going to post the biggest dumbell... ;D ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
 ;D paul a
F