Author Topic: Knee wraps good or Bad ?  (Read 7509 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Knee wraps good or Bad ?
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:50 AM »
Knee wraps i have never used but talking to a guy i know who powerlifts...he told me they increase/creates Hydrostatic pressure in the knees(i have read this before), thus allowing greater poundages and protection for the knees. Powerlifting is not my field but i would like to know how many of you Bodybuilders/weight trainers would consider this simple tool also effective for us Bodybuilders?...or is it like a weight Belt useful but over used..

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Knee wraps good or Bad ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Provide no protection. Can help increase peak lifts.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
Provide no protection. Can help increase peak lifts.
so really a power lifting tool. More for a maximal lifter. I know Wooo your into cross training but itīs interesting you really never see a top Bodybuilder squating with these.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »
I used them as a powerlifter in my youth but I'd never wear them today.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
so really a power lifting tool. More for a maximal lifter. I know Wooo your into cross training but itīs interesting you really never see a top Bodybuilder squating with these.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/forum_images/9/0/909827.1138843979819.Ronnie_Coleman_005~0.jpg

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
Knee wraps i have never used but talking to a guy i know who powerlifts...he told me they increase/creates Hydrostatic pressure in the knees(i have read this before), thus allowing greater poundages and protection for the knees. Powerlifting is not my field but i would like to know how many of you Bodybuilders/weight trainers would consider this simple tool also effective for us Bodybuilders?...or is it like a weight Belt useful but over used..
ive always felt that they help ALOT with poundages.. Especially when squating, they give you an advantage.. I dont know if they are counterproductive though and considered as cheating.. I didn't feel the muscle contracting although I was lifting more than usual

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:54:50 AM »
ive always felt that they help ALOT with poundages.. Especially when squating, they give you an advantage.. I dont know if they are counterproductive though and considered as cheating.. I didn't feel the muscle contracting although I was lifting more than usual
did you see better results?

stronger

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
Yes good results.. But if your knees arent aching from something, you certainly dont need them.use them for ego-lifts ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »
Like a lifting belt, usually not needed for BB'ing.  

Wraps are a staple for PL'ers, when going for a max effort or 2 to 4 reps in heavier training. Some will even wrap the ankles and of course elbows. Quite a few even use wraps as a precaution (or habit) against strains/injury even though the joints may be in a good and healthy state. Becoming too dependent on wraps may be a mistake during a training career. Though wraps can give a sense of security in any lift. Perhaps false , at times, because injury's can still happen. Depending too much on wraps may actually weaken the knees for some.

Wraps must be placed correctly and fit very tight for a shorter range of reps, between max to 2 or 3.  This can be one reason BB'ers may find wraps limiting in a normal higher rep BB'ing workout. If you do have knee/ankle problems, as a BB'er, than feel free to use wraps, they can offer support.Though the tightness may have to be adjusted to your needs.  This can also be said about using a lifting belt in a BB'ing workout.

Keeping the area warm with knee/leg warmers for example, might be a better idea, than using wraps, if the knees are in good  respectable condition.. Using, before and after leg training, a warming element like a lotion, cream, heating patch, etc, which brings blood to an area, may also help to keep the BB'ers knees to remain in a healthy state. Good Luck.
F

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
i heard they don't allow the knee cap to move like it should during a squatting motion.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
all good points here in this thread,,i noticed as i gotten older over 40 i use them less and less.on my heavy sets leg press,hack or squat i might use them so on a leg day my final set say squat and leg press i might us them so maybe total 2 working sets,,i usually wrap if i squat sets 365 and 405 pushing for 6-10 reps on those sets,,everything else no wraps and pump.i used them more in 20/30's weird,,i wrap them lightly due to over tightening causes uncomfortable feeling in rear side knee and too much spring.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
I would agree wraps are mostly for power lifting.  However, they can be good for injuries too.  My lifting partner has had some knee troubles in the past and even with light weight / high reps he claims the wraps help him.  May want to try it if you have bad knees.   ;)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
I am pretty sure years of martial arts screwed my knees up, so when i started squatting i squated without them, i dont think that helped.

As such now even on warm up sets i already wrap my knees and don't take them off until im done all my sets :-/

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »
I got the same deal going on.  Many years of martial arts (full contact) and my shoulders and elbows are always hurting.  No bad knee problems ... but wraps, ice, heat pads, etc are all my friends.  LOL   ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
In my opinion, knee wraps should be reserved for power lifting. I've seen guys using knee wraps who did not appear to be power lifters, based on the weight they were using and their method of exercise. In cases like that, I suspect they are more of a distraction and a crutch than anything else.

At my age, I don't power lift. Therefore, I do not bother with knee wraps, straps or weight belts. To my way of thinking with regular non-power lifting exercise routines these crutches do more harm than good.

Incidentally, I used to suffer from carpel tunnel which weakened my grip. Never-the-less, I avoided the use of straps. My grip is fine today and I no longer have issues with carpel tunnel, despite never having surgery to repair it. I will say that I prefer using a secured weight apparatus for lifts where losing ones grip would be a disaster, such as the bench press or shoulder presses. This probably is just my issue with caving to my own insecurities though since I have never lost my grip on the weights during any exercise.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
Wraps are much tighter than sleeves and should only be worn for singles/doubles imo, sleeves are looser and help keep the joint warmed up but typically they are thicker so when squatting it's like an extra padding in the back of the knee.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
Wraps are much tighter than sleeves and should only be worn for singles/doubles imo, sleeves are looser and help keep the joint warmed up but typically they are thicker so when squatting it's like an extra padding in the back of the knee.

i think that's a good point... i do wear elbow sleeves when training chest and triceps but they are not tight and i only wear them to help keep my elbows warm

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
i think that's a good point... i do wear elbow sleeves when training chest and triceps but they are not tight and i only wear them to help keep my elbows warm
I mostly use knee sleeves for the strongman stuff but occasionally I'll throw them on for squats and I notice it helps.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 02:17:48 AM »
I used to wear a rubber tube/ sleeve over my knee joint to keep the joint warm but was not for support. I remember being told to take pain killers but i do not believe in this as you are blocking pain signals from the injury to your brain as you train and you could end up in serious trouble.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
I used to wear a rubber tube/ sleeve over my knee joint to keep the joint warm but was not for support. I remember being told to take pain killers but i do not believe in this as you are blocking pain signals from the injury to your brain as you train and you could end up in serious trouble.

I hate pain killers. When I have had injuries, back issues or surgery, the doctors always prescribe pain meds. I avoid taking them whenever I can because I really dislike the way they make me feel. But then, I am something of a control freak and we control freaks don't like not being in control or giving it up to medication. So I mentally control my own pain.