Author Topic: Life after defeat for Mitt Romney  (Read 74357 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: Mitt Romney... Again?
« Reply #425 on: January 28, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
To be honest with you I can understand why Romney feels he should be the nominee...in republican politics it is traditional for the past and most recent loser to become the nominee......Reagan, Bush 41, Dole, McCain...all lost primary fights before eventually becoming the nominee...Romney feels he should be anointed partly for that reason,,,hence he doesn't want Jeb or Rand skipping over him....he may have a point based on the structure of Republican politics

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #426 on: January 28, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
Romney's attack on the former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton is laughable on a couple of levels. One, since Romney has never served as Secretary of State, he has no performance record and no experience in that position and two calling her clueless when he was so "clueless" that he totally screwed up his last bid for the Presidency by disenfranchising a large portion of the voting public with his offhanded remarks....some people never learn.

I hate to say it, but there is nothing new here; what we are faced with is a bunch of losers running for President once again. It is no wonder people don't bother to vote.

To all U.S. citizens, how does it feel to be the laughing stock of the rest of the developed world? I am beginning to find it very embarrassing.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #427 on: January 28, 2015, 08:08:04 PM »
Romney's attack on the former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton is laughable on a couple of levels. One, since Romney has never served as Secretary of State, he has no performance record and no experience in that position and two calling her clueless when he was so "clueless" that he totally screwed up his last bid for the Presidency by disenfranchising a large portion of the voting public with his offhanded remarks....some people never learn.

I hate to say it, but there is nothing new here; what we are faced with is a bunch of losers running for President once again. It is no wonder people don't bother to vote.

To all U.S. citizens, how does it feel to be the laughing stock of the rest of the developed world? I am beginning to find it very embarrassing.

Fuck those guys...they have their own problems to tend to.

I don't now, nor have I ever cared what the rest of the world thought of The United States.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #428 on: January 28, 2015, 09:04:43 PM »
Fuck those guys...they have their own problems to tend to.

I don't now, nor have I ever cared what the rest of the world thought of The United States.

No man is an island.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #429 on: January 28, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
No man is an island.

True but those same guys are on here bitching 10 times a day about the US.

After a while you simply begin to drown it out.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »
To be honest with you I can understand why Romney feels he should be the nominee...in republican politics it is traditional for the past and most recent loser to become the nominee......Reagan, Bush 41, Dole, McCain...all lost primary fights before eventually becoming the nominee...Romney feels he should be anointed partly for that reason,,,hence he doesn't want Jeb or Rand skipping over him....he may have a point based on the structure of Republican politics

The party acknowledged your argument during the last cycle, which is why they allowed him to become the nominee.  Almost everyone in the party now agrees that he had his chance and he blew it.  Time to turn the page.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:58 AM »
An ‘authentic’ Mitt Romney is in a real bind
By Jonathan Capehart

“If he runs again in 2016, Romney is determined to rebrand himself as authentic, warts and all, and central to that mission is making public what for so long he kept private,” reports The Post’s Philip Rucker. The story is all about how the Mormon faith of the 2012 Republican presidential nominee would be front and center of his potential third run for the White House. Great, Romney should talk more about his faith. What won’t fly is his using it to “rebrand himself as authentic” because it would raise more questions than it would answer.

The best thing to come out of the Romney campaign last time was the biographical video shown at the Tampa convention. People got to see a three-dimensional Mitt, a man who loves his family and looks out for his flock as a leader in his church. But no one saw the 10-minute film because it didn’t run in prime time. Not that anyone would have remembered seeing it thanks to Clint Eastwood.

But how does such a good man let loose on the “47 percent” at a fundraising dinner in Boca Raton, Fla., in May 2012?

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.

And, I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49 [percent], he starts with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn’t connect. So he’ll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean, that’s what they sell every four years.

And so my job is is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the five to 10 percent in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon, in some cases, emotion, whether they like the guy or not….

This was in keeping with Romney’s belief during the campaign that President Obama was giving away “more free stuff” and his assertion in defeat that “The president’s campaign focused on giving targeted groups a big gift.” But never mind.

Romney friend Fraser Bullock told Rucker that people around the former Massachusetts governor now realize that voters wanted to see more than a relentless campaign on the economy. “They want to see the human being behind all the positions and platforms,” he said. That’s very true. But how can we trust positions and platforms espoused by Romney 3.0? Rolling Stone detailed in August 2012 how Romney has flipped and flopped on a host of hot-button issues during his political career.

Romney once said that abortions should be “safe and legal” and that Roe. v. Wade should be “sustain[ed] and support[ed].” Today, he’s “firmly pro-life” and supports the overturn of Roe v. Wade. Romney once supported and signed an assault weapons ban for Massachusetts. In his last presidential run he was against “any gun control legislation.” Romney once believed that the planet was getting warmer and that humans were contributing to the problem. He was even at the vanguard of governors pushing to address climate change through the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative. During the campaign, he questioned climate-change science. But then last week, Romney said, “I’m one of those Republicans who thinks we are getting warmer and that we contribute to that.” Romney once touted his signature health-care legislation. In the last campaign, he disowned it. And Romney said he would be stronger on gay rights than Sen. Ted Kennedy when he ran to unseat him in 1994. He supported a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage in 2012.

As I argued in posts in February and October 2012, changing one’s mind on a core issue, an issue of conscience, is not uncommon in a politician. In fact, when it happens it should be respected because no doubt a lot of thought and soul-searching went into it. But changing on all of the core issues? This strains credulity and calls into question whether a politician who does so has a core at all. It bespeaks a person of unmoored convictions. One, quite frankly, who cannot be trusted. And this is why only 18 percent of voters in a national exit poll said Romney “cares about people like me.”

“In spite of the comments about the ‘47 percent,’ he now talks about lifting the poor,” Bullock told Rucker. “That’s something he’s done his whole life, but he’s done it quietly, ministering his faith and helping people who are struggling with this issue or that issue. That was all hidden last time.” This is another flip-flop that will not be helpful in Romney’s sad quest for political redemption. What’s even sadder is that if the “authentic” Romney does show up this time around, no one will believe it is really him.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
The party acknowledged your argument during the last cycle, which is why they allowed him to become the nominee.  Almost everyone in the party now agrees that he had his chance and he blew it.  Time to turn the page.

Good point and I agree with you...unfortunately Mitt may not see it that way.....LOL...I think Romney should have just been himself.....he should have acknowledged the liberal side of himself..he tried to be too many things to too many people.....He destroyed himself with the 47% comment...but he may have been able to skirt around the fallout if he had pointed out all the liberal policies he had put in place to help people

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »
He just doesn't know it yet. Bah ha ha ha ha ha

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
David Kochel, Romney’s Iowa Strategist, Jumps to Bush
Jonathan Martin

David Kochel, a Republican strategist based in Iowa who worked on both of Mitt Romney’s presidential campaigns, is joining Jeb Bush’s political action committee as a senior strategist and is in line to serve as Mr. Bush’s national campaign manager.

“David is one of the most talented state-based operatives in the nation and brings a different focus and different set of priorities to our effort to communicate Governor Bush’s focus on economic and social mobility,” said Sally Bradshaw, Mr. Bush’s longtime strategist.

The move to tap Mr. Kochel, who advised Mr. Romney for over six years, represents a shot across the bow of the 2012 Republican nominee, who is now considering a third bid for the White House.

Mr. Kochel offered only praise for Mr. Romney, while also promoting Mr. Bush’s strengths.

“I really believe Governor Bush is the right person for the right time,” he said. “He has a successful conservative record in Florida, and I’d put that record up against anybody else.”

Mr. Kochel is moving this spring to Miami to join Mr. Bush’s national effort, but his hiring also indicates that Mr. Bush is likely to compete aggressively in Iowa, where hard-line conservatives are a force in Republican contests.

“There are a number of people here who will be interested in signing up,” Mr. Kochel said. “You compete everywhere because that’s how you win delegates.”

Mr. Kochel, a native of central Iowa, worked his way up in state politics, serving as state party executive director in his 20s and, most recently, as a senior adviser to Senator Joni Ernst in her vaunted campaign last year. A direct mail strategist, he has also worked on a number of campaigns outside Iowa.

Mr. Bush’s advisers declined to speak about what the hiring said regarding Mr. Romney, but emphasized that they are fond of Mr. Kochel in part because he is not based in Washington and his political experience is mostly in state races.

“This is a reflection of Governor Bush’s intent, should he go forward with a campaign, to make the race focused on early states, Super Tuesday states and running governors-style races,” said a senior adviser to Mr. Bush. “This is not going to be a D.C.-driven, top-down structure. That’s not the Jeb Bush way.”

There has been intense speculation in Washington in recent weeks that Mr. Bush was likely to tap an operative based in the capital and the matter of who to hire had even become a topic of some debate within Mr. Bush’s circle. One name often mentioned as a likely prospect, and reported by CNN as such this week, was Sara Fagen, who was once White House political director under George W. Bush.

But Mr, Kochel has long been close to a close adviser to Mr. Bush, Mike Murphy – the two worked together in the campaigns of Gov. Terry Branstad of Iowa – and has been friends with Ms. Bradshaw since they both began helping Mr. Romney early in the 2008 presidential election cycle.

Mr. Bush’s loyalists are determined to create an identity for him separate from his brother, former President George W. Bush. But in organizing the makings of a presidential campaign, they are reprising the early moves of the former president.

Ahead of his 2000 campaign, George W. Bush, then the governor of Texas, relied mostly on advice from his own cadre of Texas-based strategists, creating some distance from operatives connected to his father, former President George Bush.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #435 on: January 29, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »
True but those same guys are on here bitching 10 times a day about the US.

After a while you simply begin to drown it out.

I get it. I live in the U.S. and life is pretty good here all-in-all. No complaints from me. I do think politics has gone to shit the last decade or so. It is really hard to know who to believe lately. Maybe they were always a bunch of idiots and crooks, but it seems worse lately regardless of which party you affiliate with.

As you may know, I live in Oregon. Our governor and his paramour are presently in the spotlight. Seems she's been gaining a huge financial advantage as a result of her relationship with the governor. She's apparently lied to the IRS regarding her income which she grossly under reported. Governor Kitzhaber and his much younger girlfriend appear to be a couple of scam artists and it is the taxpayer who is getting scammed as usual.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/01/john_kitzhaber_will_address_cy.html#incart_river

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2015, 04:17:57 AM »
I get it. I live in the U.S. and life is pretty good here all-in-all. No complaints from me. I do think politics has gone to shit the last decade or so. It is really hard to know who to believe lately. Maybe they were always a bunch of idiots and crooks, but it seems worse lately regardless of which party you affiliate with.

As you may know, I live in Oregon. Our governor and his paramour are presently in the spotlight. Seems she's been gaining a huge financial advantage as a result of her relationship with the governor. She's apparently lied to the IRS regarding her income which she grossly under reported. Governor Kitzhaber and his much younger girlfriend appear to be a couple of scam artists and it is the taxpayer who is getting scammed as usual.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/01/john_kitzhaber_will_address_cy.html#incart_river

I read that article.  Quite a circus you've got going on with the governor and his lady.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #437 on: January 30, 2015, 04:21:01 AM »
Obama Mocks Mitt Romney For Being 'Suddenly Deeply Concerned About Poverty'
by Igor Bobic

WASHINGTON -- Thought the 2012 presidential campaign was over? Think again.

President Barack Obama didn't have much to say about Mitt Romney's rekindled aspirations for the White House when he delivered a flat, "No comment," earlier this month. But apparently he couldn't resist much longer, following reports that the former GOP candidate was weighing entering the ring in 2016 on a platform focused on lifting up the middle class and eliminating poverty.

Addressing House Democrats at their annual retreat in Philadelphia on Thursday night, Obama referred to one “former presidential candidate” who was "suddenly deeply concerned about poverty."

"That's great. Lets do something about it," Obama said, according to a White House pool report.

Romney fired back on Twitter, by noting poverty levels under the Obama administration.

"Mr. Obama, wonder why my concern about poverty? The record number of poor in your term, and your record of failure to remedy," Romney said.

Obama also said in Philadelphia that he had heard a Republican senator, who he did not name, was "suddenly shocked, shocked, that the 1 percent" was doing much better than the vast majority of Americans.

"I consider imitation the highest form of flattery," Obama said of Republicans' sudden embrace of populist rhetoric.

Three Republican senators considering bids for president -- Rand Paul of Kentucky, Ted Cruz of Texas, and Marco Rubio of Florida -- spoke about the need to address income inequality at a summit organized by the Koch Brothers on Sunday.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #438 on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »
he just announced he wii not run

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #439 on: January 30, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »
Wasn't he the Democrat's candidate of choice?  Bah ha ha ha ha ha 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #440 on: January 30, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
he just announced he wii not run

RINOs gonna cry in the car.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #441 on: January 30, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »
a vacancy in the GOP Klown Kar; quick, Sarah, Run, baby, Run!
w

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #442 on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »
I read that article.  Quite a circus you've got going on with the governor and his lady.

I used to think Kitzhaber was an okay politician. I even worked on his election campaign. That was a long time ago. He's shafted the very people who got him elected over and over again. I am done with him. Whatever happens, if his life blows up, he probably deserves it. What goes around, comes around.

It is fascinating to think he may be taken down because of his relationship with a much younger woman who has quite a history of illegal activities. She once married an illegal for money to pay her college tuition. She was also once involved in a pot growing venture up in Washington state. This was before pot was marginally legalized. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #443 on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
a vacancy in the GOP Klown Kar; quick, Sarah, Run, baby, Run!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #444 on: January 30, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
Mitt Romney decides against running for president again in 2016
By Philip Rucker and Dan Balz

Mitt Romney told supporters Friday that he would not run for president in 2016, ending three weeks of public speculation and sparing the Republican Party a potentially bruising nominating battle between its past nominee and its rising stars.

“After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the party the opportunity to become our next nominee,” Romney said in a statement he read to supporters on a conference call Friday morning.

Romney insisted that he would have had enough support from potential donors to be “more than competitive” and that the positive reaction he heard from Republican activists was “surprising and heartening.” He noted that he led the GOP field in recent public polls.

“I am convinced that we could win the nomination, but fully realize it would have been difficult test and a hard fight,” Romney said in remarks he delivered by phone from New York with his wife, Ann, by his side.

“You can’t imagine how hard it is for Ann and me to step aside, especially knowing of your support and the support of so many people across the country,” he added. “But we believe it is for the best of the party and the nation.”

Romney spoke for four minutes before signing off by telling supporters, “Bye bye.” He encouraged his allies to “stay engaged” in the 2016 campaign and to “feel free” to sign up with any of the other potential candidates.

Romney had been publicly weighing a third run at the White House for three weeks after telling a group of former campaign donors in New York on Jan. 9 that he still wanted to be president.

His dalliance invited a barrage of critical reaction from many Republican leaders, conservative commentators and major donors. The influential Wall Street Journal editorial page was particularly harsh, describing Romney’s political profile as “protean,” his political team as “mediocre” and his managerial skills as questionable based on his 2012 loss to President Obama.

Romney’s advisers discounted the impact those criticisms would have on the former Massachusetts governor’s ultimate decision. Instead, they said earlier, Romney was spending his time as he always had under such circumstances: gathering data, speaking to as many people as possible and then weighing the evidence before making any final decision.

Romney’s decision to forgo a third run came after a lengthy meeting of Romney’s inner circle in Boston last Friday, during which they evaluated feedback from former campaign donors and activists in key early voting states. The assessment was realistic — “we were not Pollyanaish,” one adviser said — and included reports from Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, where Romney would have lost some key precinct leaders although still had considerable support.

Many participants left that session convinced that it was all but certain he would run again. In the end, however, Romney balked. One person close to the family said he made up his mind last weekend, but wanted to give himself the week to think it over before making his decision final.

“It’s a very personal decision,” said a senior adviser, who like others interviewed requested anonymity to speak candidly. “All the political metrics were positive. Ultimately, running for president, you just have to feel right about it in your heart. They just didn’t feel it was right. He’s a happy person. He’s not a needy, desperate guy.”

Ron Kaufman, a longtime Romney adviser and confidant, said he and others in the circle believed Romney would have made an excellent president and that he was sad the country would not have the chance for him to serve.

“As much as you might want to be the candidate, you sometimes realize you can be more effective at helping fulfill a different role,” Kaufman said. “He’s an amazing person and he doesn’t need to have the captain’s seat.”

Romney, in recent conversations with intimates as well as his public appearances, sounded eager to step back into the political ring. Those who have spoken to Romney said they came away from the conversations believing he was likely to run again for several reasons, including that he views the emerging GOP field of contenders as too weak to defeat likely Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton, that he believes he would be a better candidate after his experiences in 2012, and that he sensed an opportunity to win.

Romney signaled that if he ran again, his campaign would focus on three themes: foreign policy, expanding opportunities for the middle class and eradicating poverty.

In Friday’s call, Romney said: “I also believe with the message of making the world safer, providing opportunity for every American regardless of the neighborhood they live in, and working to break the grip of poverty, I would have the best chance of beating the eventual Democrat nominee, but that’s before the other contenders have had the opportunity to take their message to the voters.

“I believe that one of our next generation of Republican leaders — one who may not be as well-known as I am today, one who has not yet taken their message across the country, one who is just getting started — may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democrat nominee. In fact, I expect and hope that to be the case.”

Romney’s announcement comes as former Florida governor Jeb Bush has taken aggressive steps toward a campaign, traveling around the country meeting with donors and other party figures, many of them loyal to Romney in 2012. Bush has set up a leadership PAC and a super PAC, both with the name “Right to Rise,” and has been test-driving a campaign message centered squarely on middle-class opportunity.

Bush wrote in a Facebook post on Friday that Romney “has been a leader in our party for many years” and that “there are few people who have worked harder to elect Republicans across the country than he has.”

“Though I’m sure today’s decision was not easy, I know that Mitt Romney will never stop advocating for renewing America’s promise through upward mobility, encouraging free enterprise and strengthening our national defense,” Bush added. “Mitt is a patriot and I join many in hoping his days of serving our nation and our party are not over.”

Another potential candidate, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), said of Romney, “He certainly earned the right to consider running, so I deeply respect his decision to give the next generation a chance to lead. I wish him, Ann and his entire family the best and hope he will continue to serve our country and his community as he’s done throughout his life.”

Romney is scheduled to have dinner Friday night with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R), who also is eyeing a 2016 run, a get-together was planned before Romney’s announcement. Romney was already scheduled to be in the New York area Friday, because he and Ann are slated to attend a lunchtime function in Manhattan.

While the two men are friends, longtime supporters do not expect Romney to throw his weight behind Christie or any other candidate in the immediate future.

In a speech to the Republican National Committee meeting in San Diego two weeks ago, Romney said that dealing with wage stagnation, the middle class economic squeeze and lifting people out poverty should be among the handful of pillars for a 2016 GOP campaign.

At the same meeting, Romney also signaled that, if he ran, he would be far more forthcoming about — and presumably comfortable with — his Mormon faith, which he largely avoided talking about in his first two campaigns. Romney told friends that he wanted to be a more authentic candidate if he ran in 2016 than he was in 2008 or in 2012.

This was Romney’s way of trying to tell people that the stereotype of him as a cold-hearted businessman was a false construct by his opponents, and that his faith and good works would show a more empathetic side to the public.

But Romney also dealt with some serious defections from his political operation and donor network. On Thursday, David Kochel, an adviser to Romney for more than a decade and his top strategist in Iowa, announced he would work instead for Bush. Should Bush launch a presidential campaign, Kochel is in line to become national campaign manager.

The Kochel move shook some in Romney’s orbit, which had included the former aide on some recent strategy talks and believed he would be on board with Romney in 2016. But two close Romney advisers said Kochel’s departure had no impact on his decision.

Many longtime figures in Romney’s political orbit advised him through his deliberations, including former Utah governor Michael O. Leavitt, strategist Stuart Stevens, close friend Bob White, political advisers Kaufman, Beth Myers, Eric Fehrnstrom and Peter Flaherty, and policy adviser Lanhee Chen.

Romney’s announcement Friday comes a day before arriving in Washington for the annual dinner of the exclusive Alfalfa Club, where he is being inducted as a new member.

Seven Bush family members are members, but none is attending the annual dinner on Saturday night. As a result, one member says, attention will focus heavily on Romney. The former Massachusetts governor will be seated at the head table next to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, both potential 2016 rivals.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #445 on: January 31, 2015, 06:05:31 AM »
Support Waning, Romney Decides Against 2016 Bid
By ASHLEY PARKER and JONATHAN MARTIN

WASHINGTON — On a ski lift high above the powdery slopes of Deer Valley, Utah, Mitt Romney made it clear: His quest for the White House, which had dominated nearly a decade of his life, was coming to a close.

In a talk with his eldest son, Tagg, between runs down the mountain on Monday, Mr. Romney, 67, said he had all but decided against a third bid for the White House.

The conversation, according to a person familiar with it, came after days of increasingly gloomy news reached the Romney family.

Donors who supported him last time refused to commit to his campaign. Key operatives were signing up with former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida. The Republican establishment that lifted Mr. Romney to the nomination in 2012 in the face of scrappy opposition had moved on.

The news on Friday that Mr. Romney would opt out of the race revealed as much about the party in 2015 as it did about the former Massachusetts governor’s weaknesses as a candidate. Republican leaders, especially the party’s wealthiest donors, are in an impatient and determined mood. They are eager to turn to a new face they believe can defeat what they anticipate will be a strong, well-funded Democratic opponent, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

“People were much more excited about Jeb than Mitt,” said Ron Gidwitz, a Chicago financier who helped raise millions for Mr. Romney and allied groups in 2012. “Mitt ran twice before unsuccessfully. He’s a great guy. But winning is everything in this business.”

Mr. Romney’s decision not to run frees up scores of Republican establishment donors and campaign operatives, and sets off an intense battle for their support. A key question, given the early strength demonstrated by Mr. Bush and his network, is whether there is room for a candidate of similar policy views, such as Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey or Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, to emerge. So far, Mr. Bush has fared well among the party’s moneyed donor class, but its grass-roots activists, crucial to the early nominating states, have yet to coalesce around any candidate in a still evolving field.

Mr. Romney’s departure could also deprive Democrats of what they had hoped: a protracted and damaging confrontation between Mr. Bush and Mr. Romney — and the prospect of facing off again against Mr. Romney, who they believe would be just as vulnerable as he was in 2012.

The campaign to deny Mr. Romney another chance began almost immediately after he mused to donors at a Friday get-together in New York City on Jan. 9 that he was open to the possibility of another run. By that Sunday afternoon, William Oberndorf, a prominent California investor who supported Mr. Romney in both of his previous presidential campaigns, had emailed a group of 52 powerful Republicans, including former Secretary of State George Shultz, the investor Charles Schwab, Gov. Bruce Rauner of Illinois and the Michigan billionaire Betsy DeVos with a blunt message: we need to support someone else.

Mr. Oberndorf wrote: “We are fortunate in Jeb Bush to have an extremely talented and able candidate who, I believe, has a far better prospect of winning a general election than Mitt. Moreover, Mitt has now run twice and has had his chance to be president. It is now time to cede the field to others.”

Mr. Oberndorf requested that those on the email contact Mr. Romney’s longtime finance chief, Spencer Zwick, to make it clear that they did not want Mr. Romney to run again. And many of them did, Mr. Oberndorf said in an interview on Friday.

“Of everybody I contacted, I only heard from one person who thought Mitt should give it another shot,” said Mr. Oberndorf. In the weeks after he expressed renewed interest in running, Mr. Romney contacted some of his most loyal supporters. But often, he found Mr. Bush had gotten there already.

The former Massachusetts governor called Eric Tanenblatt, an Atlanta lobbyist, who reminded him they had talked the previous month and that Mr. Tanenblatt was supporting Mr. Bush.

It was a recurring theme: Mr. Romney’s supporters had taken him at his word when he had said repeatedly after 2012 that he would not run again.

Mr. Romney was losing important backers, including the New York City hedge fund billionaire Paul Singer, and in the gossipy universe of wealthy Republicans, word was spreading about the defections. Robert Pence, a Northern Virginia developer and major contributor to Mr. Romney, appeared at a fund-raiser in Virginia for Mr. Bush last week. Mr. Tanenblatt helped organize an event for Mr. Bush in Atlanta this week.

Mr. Bush’s strategy, mainly behind the scenes, was smooth and effective, as he reached out to potential supporters, mixing wonky ideas with personal charm. In a December telephone call with Joe Craft and Kelly Knight, the husband and wife who are coveted contributors in Kentucky, Mr. Bush offered his views on business and education and seemed to have all the time in the world for the couple, who raised millions for Mr. Romney’s 2012 candidacy. And, in a follow-up email, he flattered the pair, who are also the largest financial boosters of the University of Kentucky basketball program, with his careful attention to their passion.

“Saw the Wildcats did pretty well on Saturday,” Mr. Bush wrote, after Kentucky thrashed UCLA by nearly 40 points. “Congrats.”

The former Florida governor’s supporters were not as gentle as they made the case to Mr. Romney’s former backers. They argued that, because of his awkward persona and business background, Mr. Romney could not win a general election, had no rationale for a third campaign and would not be as strong as Mr. Bush in such battleground states as Florida and Colorado.

On Jan. 23, about two dozen of his advisers gathered in Boston for a cleareyed assessment of Mr. Romney’s challenges. “It was, ‘Let’s cut the cheerleading rah-rah and talk about what it is that you know and what it is that you’re hearing,’ ” said someone with knowledge of the meeting, speaking anonymously to talk about a private discussion. “Could this thing get going again?”

Mr. Zwick said he felt confident that Mr. Romney could raise the $50 million to $100 million necessary for a primary, but the softening support among contributors emerged as a concern. Even if he prevailed in a primary, he would be battered and bruised by the general election. And they puzzled over how to appease donors, still frustrated from the stumbling 2012 campaign, who were demanding a new message and a shake-up of advisers.

On Sunday, Mr. Zwick flew to Utah and delivered the message to Mr. Romney: Yes, the team believed Mr. Romney had a path to the nomination, but he faced far more challenges than in 2012, and needed to make up his mind this week. By that point, Mr. Romney and his wife Ann had already decided against another bid, but wanted to “sit with it for a few days to make sure.” By Thursday night, Mr. Romney was ready, phoning his closest friends, family and advisers to tell them what he would make public the following morning: He would not run.

But by then it was clear the political world was already moving on. In a particularly stinging blow, David Kochel, who oversaw Mr. Romney’s Iowa caucus campaigns in 2008 and 2012, had signed on to manage Mr. Bush’s campaign. That added to the bitter feeling of Mr. Romney’s inner circle toward the Bush operation.

For the Romney family, it meant the end of a dream that had consumed Mr. Romney since he was elected governor of Massachusetts (2002) and that had eluded his father over a generation earlier.

“There’s a deep sense of both sadness and relief,” Tagg Romney said in a telephone interview Friday. “Sadness that he won’t be president, but relief that we will be able to lead private lives.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #446 on: January 31, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
Can we let this go already?  He is not running. 

Now back to the Kenyan Immaculate Conception

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #447 on: January 31, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »
Can we let this go already?  He is not running. 

Now back to the Kenyan Immaculate Conception

imagine YOU wanting to let something go....LOL.....that's what we've been saying about you and your Obama obsession

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #448 on: January 31, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »
imagine YOU wanting to let something go....LOL.....that's what we've been saying about you and your Obama obsession

Oe idiot is not running for office - the other is coddling terrorists and taking selfies w thugs w green lips. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »
I'd come around with Romney, honestly. That Murdoch is against him (see above), and that Ann is his main source of direction, made him seem less like a suspect than the others from either party.

It will be the height of stupidity to see Bush "vs." Clinton, won't it? Can you believe what a bunch of idiots we are, to have gotten ourselves in this situation?