Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
September 22, 2014, 11:17:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 231   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 322384 times)
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5225 on: July 15, 2014, 05:31:09 AM »

i will Train legs tonight.

On a leg day i struggle with cardio so instead i do a light cardio session before it now to warm up and get blood flowing. I will do 30 mins cycling(in the Gym) then..
Supersets:

Squats 5 sets
leg curls 5 sets

Leg press 5 sets
Stiff legged Deads 5 sets

leg press calf raises 5 sets

Hanging knee raises 3x max

no leg extensions.
Report to moderator   Logged
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #5226 on: July 15, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »

i will Train legs tonight.

On a leg day i struggle with cardio so instead i do a light cardio session before it now to warm up and get blood flowing. I will do 30 mins cycling(in the Gym) then..
Supersets:

Squats 5 sets
leg curls 5 sets

Leg press 5 sets
Stiff legged Deads 5 sets

leg press calf raises 5 sets

Hanging knee raises 3x max

no leg extensions.

Doing cardio as a warm up for a taxing workout makes a lot of sense. I think it really works well with leg work because leg work can take a lot out of you, leaving you with no energy for cardio at the end. I usually do cardio before any weight training. I've tried pushing it to the end, but found I tend to skip it then. Another benefit for me is that I find warm up routines boring and have the bad habit of skipping them. Doing cardio first at least get my blood pumping through my body, thereby providing a warm up of sorts.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5227 on: July 15, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »

doing cardio before legs is actually better. Think about a viking before a fight.
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

Where are my brave brothers and sisters?

« Reply #5228 on: July 15, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »

doing cardio before legs is actually better. Think about a viking before a fight.

Some light cardio work is fine before legs.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5229 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »

Going to the Gym and doing back.

wide grip pulldowns 3-5 sets
Low pulley rows(Close grip) 3-5 sets
Machine rows wide grip 3-5 set
Barbell Pullovers 3 sets
Abs: incline sit ups (full sit ups) 2-3 x max

i just go by feel now. one more set if i Need it ..sometimes less.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5230 on: July 17, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »

Shoulders +Abs tonight

Seated DB press 3-5 sets
Side raises 3-5 sets
Rear Delt machine 3-5 sets
Barbell Shrugs 5 sets

Hanging knee raises with Crunches.  Cardio Cross Trainer.
The Scott
Getbig IV

Give us this day, our daily oyster...

« Reply #5231 on: July 17, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »

Today, 15 sets of back.  5 sets Smith machine rows, 5 sets pulldowns and 5 sets of t-bar rows.  15 sets of bicep, 5 sets each of barbell curls, Scott curls and finally alternate DB curls. Finished off with 10 sets of wrist curls, 5 sets each direction.

The weight is necessarily (and embarrassingly so) light.  Of late I have done as many as 62 sets in 53 minutes.  All are done in the old "Giant Set" manner with little to no rest between sets of five different exercises in a row for example, for my back or chest.  Fun times indeed!  I still prefer H.I.T, but that requires so much effort/weight for the three or so sets per bodypart that my muscles and joints hurt for over a week later from one workout.   

I am sore now, but not like when I train Mentzer's way.  I have been dieting for the fourth week now, having dropped 20 pounds so far.  Mostly tuna and boiled eggs, ground beef, turkey and roast beef.  Water, milk and iced tea for drink

A friend gave a trial of a pre-workout drink mixture called "Mesomorph" and it actually helps me to train on an otherwise empty stomach, which I normally can't stand doing. 

Anyhoo, that's it for now. 
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5232 on: July 18, 2014, 01:53:19 AM »

Today, 15 sets of back.  5 sets Smith machine rows, 5 sets pulldowns and 5 sets of t-bar rows.  15 sets of bicep, 5 sets each of barbell curls, Scott curls and finally alternate DB curls. Finished off with 10 sets of wrist curls, 5 sets each direction.

The weight is necessarily (and embarrassingly so) light.  Of late I have done as many as 62 sets in 53 minutes.  All are done in the old "Giant Set" manner with little to no rest between sets of five different exercises in a row for example, for my back or chest.  Fun times indeed!  I still prefer H.I.T, but that requires so much effort/weight for the three or so sets per bodypart that my muscles and joints hurt for over a week later from one workout.   

I am sore now, but not like when I train Mentzer's way.  I have been dieting for the fourth week now, having dropped 20 pounds so far.  Mostly tuna and boiled eggs, ground beef, turkey and roast beef.  Water, milk and iced tea for drink

A friend gave a trial of a pre-workout drink mixture called "Mesomorph" and it actually helps me to train on an otherwise empty stomach, which I normally can't stand doing. 

Anyhoo, that's it for now. 
A lot of work you are doing. Giant sets are hard. I like supersets myself for Antagonistic muscle Groups. This is what you meant ? with mesomorph...

* apsmeso.jpg (199.81 KB, 500x500 - viewed 63 times.)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #5233 on: July 18, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »

Trained chest and bicep today. I just upped the weight for chest. My shoulder was grinding and popping but the pain was manageable. I felt good about the workout. I then finished with a 2 mile run on a trial by my house. I didn't see a soul on the trail.

* trail one.jpg (136.8 KB, 960x720 - viewed 57 times.)
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #5234 on: July 18, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »

Trained chest and bicep today. I just upped the weight for chest. My shoulder was grinding and popping but the pain was manageable. I felt good about the workout. I then finished with a 2 mile run on a trial by my house. I didn't see a soul on the trail.

Look like a good place to run. I like that it is shade dappled. It's too hot to run here and the trails near me are more in the sun.
The Scott
Getbig IV

« Reply #5235 on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »

A lot of work you are doing. Giant sets are hard. I like supersets myself for Antagonistic muscle Groups. This is what you meant ? with mesomorph...

Yup, that's the stuff!   Seems to boost my energy level and as I said I can't stand training on an empty stomach but this stuff seems to do the trick.  I don't know about any ridiculous claims other than the only one my friend gave me and that seemed sane enough - more energy to train.  So far, so good.

I really do refer Mentzer's training methods but as I said, it requires a level of intensity that far surpasses what I am doing now with Giant Sets and dinky weights.   My joints may still hurt, but not like when I go full on berserk with Heavy Duty.  Same with my muscles.  They ache but not for 7 or more days.

I took today off.  Tired from 15 + hour days for a few weeks now but being busy and having a job are blessings in and of themselves.    I hope to train tomorrow before work. 
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5236 on: July 19, 2014, 01:21:03 AM »

I trained Arms last night  doing POF :

Barbell curls 3 sets
Incline curls  3 sets
one-arm DB preacher curls 3 sets (using the opposite side of the bench like spider curls)

lying BB Extension 3 sets
incline ez bar Extensions 3 sets
DB Kick backs 3 sets

2x 50 alternate v-sit ups.

Itīs warm today and my plan is to go running.. i will feel it so i am now drinking lots. maybe it would be better to go for a cycle.. Grin
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5237 on: July 19, 2014, 01:28:33 AM »

Yup, that's the stuff!   Seems to boost my energy level and as I said I can't stand training on an empty stomach but this stuff seems to do the trick.  I don't know about any ridiculous claims other than the only one my friend gave me and that seemed sane enough - more energy to train.  So far, so good.

I really do refer Mentzer's training methods but as I said, it requires a level of intensity that far surpasses what I am doing now with Giant Sets and dinky weights.   My joints may still hurt, but not like when I go full on berserk with Heavy Duty.  Same with my muscles.  They ache but not for 7 or more days.

I took today off.  Tired from 15 + hour days for a few weeks now but being busy and having a job are blessings in and of themselves.    I hope to train tomorrow before work. 

If it helps drink it .. I canīt take all that stuff because of my illness , Colitis Ulcerosa. i would pass it straight out. I canīt even Keep in a protein shake Sad My oldest son buys supplements. me iīll stick to good old solid Food. The only fruit i can hold in is Banana but lucky i can drink milk. so itīs old School for me...lol  Banana and milk.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5238 on: July 19, 2014, 08:13:43 AM »

was running.. then i hit this Little sand hill. not as steep as i thought but still got me sweating in the heat.

* 005.jpg (11.67 KB, 102x102 - viewed 50 times.)
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5239 on: July 19, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »

hope this is better... Grin

* 010.jpg (76.83 KB, 333x500 - viewed 49 times.)
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #5240 on: July 19, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »

If it helps drink it .. I canīt take all that stuff because of my illness , Colitis Ulcerosa. i would pass it straight out. I canīt even Keep in a protein shake Sad My oldest son buys supplements. me iīll stick to good old solid Food. The only fruit i can hold in is Banana but lucky i can drink milk. so itīs old School for me...lol  Banana and milk.

What do you attribute having ulcerative colitis to? In reading about it, I found it interesting that there are several possible causes. One is stress, another diet, genetics and autoimmune problems. Alcohol can aggravate this condition as can meat protein. Hopefully, yours is well managed with milder symptoms. At the least, this seems like it would be very inconvenient. At most, it must be extremely painful and debilitating.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5241 on: July 19, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »

What do you attribute having ulcerative colitis to? In reading about it, I found it interesting that there are several possible causes. One is stress, another diet, genetics and autoimmune problems. Alcohol can aggravate this condition as can meat protein. Hopefully, yours is well managed with milder symptoms. At the least, this seems like it would be very inconvenient. At most, it must be extremely painful and debilitating.
well i donīt really know...itīs not Diet. Just swallow some of this and iīm good to go  Grin

* 013.jpg (69.66 KB, 333x500 - viewed 47 times.)

* 014.jpg (41.1 KB, 400x266 - viewed 48 times.)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #5242 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »

Donny in no way I'm I comparing your health issues with mine but I can understand somewhat. I went through 6 months of stomach issues. Pain and the runs every day. Had upper and lower scopes. MRI and other scans. Blood tests and many doctor visits.  One doctor thought it was a gall bladder issue that the tests weren't picking up. Most of the doctors were useless all prescribing the same drug. Then after six months of losing weight and looking gaunt it went away. Many don't understand how horrible chronic stomach problems are. The awful pain just doesn't seem to go away. For me it seemed I developed a hyper sensitivity to lactose and milk products. How this hyper sensitivity happened is a mystery. Maybe age has something to do with it. By the way the doctors never discovered this but my wife did. She noticed on two different vacations when I stopped protein powder, yogurt and milk my stomach got better. I wish you the best and hope an answer to your issue occurs.

If I could transition into another topic I trained legs today with my one set to failure protocol. In about 5 days after this cycle I'm done with it I think. It's just too brutal. I don't know how anyone can pick 4 exercises a body part and do it to the ragged end of exhaustion and keep doing the program. It's just to mentally and physically draining and even scary. Try it for even a small body part. Warm up with a set of barbell curls with a light weight. Then load up the bar for your real set. Don't stop until you feel like you are going to die doing your reps. Now do three other exercises like that for biceps. It's a sick way to train. Now do it with legs. I thought today I was going to pass out trying to get one more rep in deep full range leg presses with the back board low for a greater range.
The Scott
Getbig IV

« Reply #5243 on: July 19, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »

If I could transition into another topic I trained legs today with my one set to failure protocol. In about 5 days after this cycle I'm done with it I think. It's just too brutal. I don't know how anyone can pick 4 exercises a body part and do it to the ragged end of exhaustion and keep doing the program. It's just to mentally and physically draining and even scary. Try it for even a small body part. Warm up with a set of barbell curls with a light weight. Then load up the bar for your real set. Don't stop until you feel like you are going to die doing your reps. Now do three other exercises like that for biceps. It's a sick way to train. Now do it with legs. I thought today I was going to pass out trying to get one more rep in deep full range leg presses with the back board low for a greater range.

I've done this style of training and while I like it and it can be productive it is brutal.  I am sore for more than a week after doing just two or three sets.    My son refused to train with me when I did Heavy Duty/H.I.T. because of the sheer intensity or as  you say, it is scary.  I would literally collapse after a session of just three sets.  Fun times indeed.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #5244 on: July 19, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »

I've done this style of training and while I like it and it can be productive it is brutal.  I am sore for more than a week after doing just two or three sets.    My son refused to train with me when I did Heavy Duty/H.I.T. because of the sheer intensity or as  you say, it is scary.  I would literally collapse after a session of just three sets.  Fun times indeed.

I didn't just do three sets. I did one set of each of the following exercises to failure. This is what I did today. A variation of what Yates did.

Leg press 1 set of 15 reps (felt I was going to pass out)
squat 1 x 9 reps (not as deep as usual. Leg presses did me in)
lunges 1 x 20 reps
dumbbell squats 1 x 12 (completely bending my legs)
leg extensions 1 x 20
seated leg curls 1 x 16
standing leg curls 1 x 14

hanging leg raises 1 x 15 (weights on ankles)
hip reverse crunches 1 x 24 (weights on ankles)
machine pulley crunches 1 x 30

leg press calf raise 1 x 25
standing calf raise 1 x 15
seated calf raise 1 x 17

neck work: one set per side

Training with one set to failure is absolutely brutal. I'm taking a day off tomorrow to do cardio. Then on Monday it's back day.

On a side note there use to be a pure HIT gym near me in NJ. A dinosaur  of a gym paying tribute to the spirit of Arthur Jones. It has a full compliment of Med X, Nautilus and even some old plate loading Nautilus relics. The owner is a crazed HIT follower. My job sent me and a couple of guys to work out there because of the owners reputation in the HIT field. He put me through a work out that was so ridiculous many years ago that I questioned how anyone could workout like that on a regular basis? The first exercise he put me on was the leg press. After failing at around 15 he had me do about 5 more forced reps with him assisting. I staggered to my feet and he put me on an exercise bicycle immediately for 2 minutes of sprinting. Next with no rest was Nautilus pullovers. Again after failure there were many forced reps. No rest onto the exercise bike for a 2 minute sprint. I think he had me do 4 weight exercises. At the end he told me to lie down because he thought I was about to faint. When I recovered I told him no one could work out like that on a regular basis. I was a college 440 yard sprinter and I knew what hard work was. The whole work out took about 17 minutes. He said to take 4 days off and to come back. I never went back. I wonder if the place is still there?
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5245 on: July 20, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »

Donny in no way I'm I comparing your health issues with mine but I can understand somewhat. I went through 6 months of stomach issues. Pain and the runs every day. Had upper and lower scopes. MRI and other scans. Blood tests and many doctor visits.  One doctor thought it was a gall bladder issue that the tests weren't picking up. Most of the doctors were useless all prescribing the same drug. Then after six months of losing weight and looking gaunt it went away. Many don't understand how horrible chronic stomach problems are. The awful pain just doesn't seem to go away. For me it seemed I developed a hyper sensitivity to lactose and milk products. How this hyper sensitivity happened is a mystery. Maybe age has something to do with it. By the way the doctors never discovered this but my wife did. She noticed on two different vacations when I stopped protein powder, yogurt and milk my stomach got better. I wish you the best and hope an answer to your issue occurs.

Thanks man... I feel OK most of the time and i just live with it. yes yogurt is another Thing i canīt eat. Still drink now and again a cold beer Wink ha ha .. but no hard stuff. Donīt smoke. Training wise i seem to be able to do most anything. If i feel ill i take time off simple as that.. no Need to cry about it. I have 2 arms and legs so i canīt complain. Interesting reading you and Scottie's Training routines. Volume wise iīm middle of the road. Not as Brutal as Stevo..
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5246 on: July 20, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

hey all...nice vacation,,,little stressful with baby going back and forth on beach/rolling in sand'he liked it'keeping eye on girls they love ocean and were boogie boarding for 1st time..water was beautiful'clean/clear''old timer1' knows jersey shore when its on its game...i brought 20/30 lb dbells and pushup handles for quick pump lol otherwise no real training..,,,got pretty good tan..i felt smallish/flat...very ripped tho...i do not walk around with arms flared out or puffed out ,,i feel shy at times being someone my age with kids and most dads there are fat or out of shape skinny/flabby ..

* IMG6261.jpg (42.71 KB, 309x344 - viewed 34 times.)

$
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #5247 on: July 20, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

hey all...nice vacation,,,little stressful with baby going back and forth on beach/rolling in sand'he liked it'keeping eye on girls they love ocean and were boogie boarding for 1st time..water was beautiful'clean/clear''old timer1' knows jersey shore when its on its game...i brought 20/30 lb dbells and pushup handles for quick pump lol otherwise no real training..,,,got pretty good tan..i felt smallish/flat...very ripped tho...i do not walk around with arms flared out or puffed out ,,i feel shy at times being someone my age with kids and most dads there are fat or out of shape skinny/flabby ..

Your tan looks healthy. I know tanning isn't supposed to be healthy, but it usually looks it. All that vitamin D should have you feeling really good too.
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5248 on: July 20, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »

Your tan looks healthy. I know tanning isn't supposed to be healthy, but it usually looks it. All that vitamin D should have you feeling really good too.
thanks jay,,,missed u guys...i peeked on my phone on this thread/and sev's diet thread that one is crazy...

$
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5249 on: July 21, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »

We missed you too stevo...looking tanned and in top shape. Break did you good. Yes most guys as they hit 30 are in bad shape...! All the more reason for us to train. Good too because you stay fit for your family. Your girls are proud of you too....I'm glad I had my kids early and now I still am young enough tfo understand them....lol
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 231   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!