Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
December 20, 2014, 09:06:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 251   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 409451 times)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #5225 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »

If it helps drink it .. I canīt take all that stuff because of my illness , Colitis Ulcerosa. i would pass it straight out. I canīt even Keep in a protein shake Sad My oldest son buys supplements. me iīll stick to good old solid Food. The only fruit i can hold in is Banana but lucky i can drink milk. so itīs old School for me...lol  Banana and milk.

Donny in no way I'm I comparing your health issues with mine but I can understand somewhat. I went through 6 months of stomach issues. Pain and the runs every day. Had upper and lower scopes. MRI and other scans. Blood tests and many doctor visits.  One doctor thought it was a gall bladder issue that the tests weren't picking up. Most of the doctors were useless all prescribing the same drug. Then after six months of losing weight and looking gaunt it went away. Many don't understand how horrible chronic stomach problems are. The awful pain just doesn't seem to go away. For me it seemed I developed a hyper sensitivity to lactose and milk products. How this hyper sensitivity happened is a mystery. Maybe age has something to do with it. By the way the doctors never discovered this but my wife did. She noticed on two different vacations when I stopped protein powder, yogurt and milk my stomach got better. I wish you the best and hope an answer to your issue occurs.

If I could transition into another topic I trained legs today with my one set to failure protocol. In about 5 days after this cycle I'm done with it I think. It's just too brutal. I don't know how anyone can pick 4 exercises a body part and do it to the ragged end of exhaustion and keep doing the program. It's just to mentally and physically draining and even scary. Try it for even a small body part. Warm up with a set of barbell curls with a light weight. Then load up the bar for your real set. Don't stop until you feel like you are going to die doing your reps. Now do three other exercises like that for biceps. It's a sick way to train. Now do it with legs. I thought today I was going to pass out trying to get one more rep in deep full range leg presses with the back board low for a greater range.
Report to moderator   Logged
The Scott
Getbig IV

Give us this day, our daily oyster...

« Reply #5226 on: July 19, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »

If I could transition into another topic I trained legs today with my one set to failure protocol. In about 5 days after this cycle I'm done with it I think. It's just too brutal. I don't know how anyone can pick 4 exercises a body part and do it to the ragged end of exhaustion and keep doing the program. It's just to mentally and physically draining and even scary. Try it for even a small body part. Warm up with a set of barbell curls with a light weight. Then load up the bar for your real set. Don't stop until you feel like you are going to die doing your reps. Now do three other exercises like that for biceps. It's a sick way to train. Now do it with legs. I thought today I was going to pass out trying to get one more rep in deep full range leg presses with the back board low for a greater range.

I've done this style of training and while I like it and it can be productive it is brutal.  I am sore for more than a week after doing just two or three sets.    My son refused to train with me when I did Heavy Duty/H.I.T. because of the sheer intensity or as  you say, it is scary.  I would literally collapse after a session of just three sets.  Fun times indeed.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #5227 on: July 19, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »

I've done this style of training and while I like it and it can be productive it is brutal.  I am sore for more than a week after doing just two or three sets.    My son refused to train with me when I did Heavy Duty/H.I.T. because of the sheer intensity or as  you say, it is scary.  I would literally collapse after a session of just three sets.  Fun times indeed.

I didn't just do three sets. I did one set of each of the following exercises to failure. This is what I did today. A variation of what Yates did.

Leg press 1 set of 15 reps (felt I was going to pass out)
squat 1 x 9 reps (not as deep as usual. Leg presses did me in)
lunges 1 x 20 reps
dumbbell squats 1 x 12 (completely bending my legs)
leg extensions 1 x 20
seated leg curls 1 x 16
standing leg curls 1 x 14

hanging leg raises 1 x 15 (weights on ankles)
hip reverse crunches 1 x 24 (weights on ankles)
machine pulley crunches 1 x 30

leg press calf raise 1 x 25
standing calf raise 1 x 15
seated calf raise 1 x 17

neck work: one set per side

Training with one set to failure is absolutely brutal. I'm taking a day off tomorrow to do cardio. Then on Monday it's back day.

On a side note there use to be a pure HIT gym near me in NJ. A dinosaur  of a gym paying tribute to the spirit of Arthur Jones. It has a full compliment of Med X, Nautilus and even some old plate loading Nautilus relics. The owner is a crazed HIT follower. My job sent me and a couple of guys to work out there because of the owners reputation in the HIT field. He put me through a work out that was so ridiculous many years ago that I questioned how anyone could workout like that on a regular basis? The first exercise he put me on was the leg press. After failing at around 15 he had me do about 5 more forced reps with him assisting. I staggered to my feet and he put me on an exercise bicycle immediately for 2 minutes of sprinting. Next with no rest was Nautilus pullovers. Again after failure there were many forced reps. No rest onto the exercise bike for a 2 minute sprint. I think he had me do 4 weight exercises. At the end he told me to lie down because he thought I was about to faint. When I recovered I told him no one could work out like that on a regular basis. I was a college 440 yard sprinter and I knew what hard work was. The whole work out took about 17 minutes. He said to take 4 days off and to come back. I never went back. I wonder if the place is still there?
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5228 on: July 20, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »

Donny in no way I'm I comparing your health issues with mine but I can understand somewhat. I went through 6 months of stomach issues. Pain and the runs every day. Had upper and lower scopes. MRI and other scans. Blood tests and many doctor visits.  One doctor thought it was a gall bladder issue that the tests weren't picking up. Most of the doctors were useless all prescribing the same drug. Then after six months of losing weight and looking gaunt it went away. Many don't understand how horrible chronic stomach problems are. The awful pain just doesn't seem to go away. For me it seemed I developed a hyper sensitivity to lactose and milk products. How this hyper sensitivity happened is a mystery. Maybe age has something to do with it. By the way the doctors never discovered this but my wife did. She noticed on two different vacations when I stopped protein powder, yogurt and milk my stomach got better. I wish you the best and hope an answer to your issue occurs.

Thanks man... I feel OK most of the time and i just live with it. yes yogurt is another Thing i canīt eat. Still drink now and again a cold beer Wink ha ha .. but no hard stuff. Donīt smoke. Training wise i seem to be able to do most anything. If i feel ill i take time off simple as that.. no Need to cry about it. I have 2 arms and legs so i canīt complain. Interesting reading you and Scottie's Training routines. Volume wise iīm middle of the road. Not as Brutal as Stevo..
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5229 on: July 20, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

hey all...nice vacation,,,little stressful with baby going back and forth on beach/rolling in sand'he liked it'keeping eye on girls they love ocean and were boogie boarding for 1st time..water was beautiful'clean/clear''old timer1' knows jersey shore when its on its game...i brought 20/30 lb dbells and pushup handles for quick pump lol otherwise no real training..,,,got pretty good tan..i felt smallish/flat...very ripped tho...i do not walk around with arms flared out or puffed out ,,i feel shy at times being someone my age with kids and most dads there are fat or out of shape skinny/flabby ..

* IMG6261.jpg (42.71 KB, 309x344 - viewed 40 times.)

$
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #5230 on: July 20, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

hey all...nice vacation,,,little stressful with baby going back and forth on beach/rolling in sand'he liked it'keeping eye on girls they love ocean and were boogie boarding for 1st time..water was beautiful'clean/clear''old timer1' knows jersey shore when its on its game...i brought 20/30 lb dbells and pushup handles for quick pump lol otherwise no real training..,,,got pretty good tan..i felt smallish/flat...very ripped tho...i do not walk around with arms flared out or puffed out ,,i feel shy at times being someone my age with kids and most dads there are fat or out of shape skinny/flabby ..

Your tan looks healthy. I know tanning isn't supposed to be healthy, but it usually looks it. All that vitamin D should have you feeling really good too.
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5231 on: July 20, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »

Your tan looks healthy. I know tanning isn't supposed to be healthy, but it usually looks it. All that vitamin D should have you feeling really good too.
thanks jay,,,missed u guys...i peeked on my phone on this thread/and sev's diet thread that one is crazy...

$
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5232 on: July 21, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »

We missed you too stevo...looking tanned and in top shape. Break did you good. Yes most guys as they hit 30 are in bad shape...! All the more reason for us to train. Good too because you stay fit for your family. Your girls are proud of you too....I'm glad I had my kids early and now I still am young enough tfo understand them....lol
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #5233 on: July 21, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »

For us older guys all you have to do is look at what 99.9% of most 55 year olds look like as motivation to train.  Most guys around that age can't run a mile at any speed. If they can it's a crawl. Many go to the gym and their whole work out revolves around benching and curls. If they have a decent bench they think that shows they are strong and in shape. If I become a trainer I won't let most guys bench so they will direct their energy into the 200 other weight exercises.

Today's work out was back. I caned the workout after 2 sets of power cleans. I just upped the weight to much. On the jerk on the last rep I nearly crashed and burned because I got out of position. Dropped the weight and watched it bounce due to the bumper plates. Just sat there pissed off.  Put on my running shoes and ran a really decent 5 miles.

My two plus weeks of one set to failure is over for now. Going back to multiple sets. One set to failure works but it's psychologically very hard. It's also really hard to load up a bar for that one insane set on the body.

As we get older you have a fine line between training the body and destroying it. Emil Zatopek the greatest distance runner in Olympic history who won Gold in the same Olympics in the 5K, 10K and the marathon said in effect, " The body is like a spring. You push it as in training and it springs back. You have to be careful to not damage the spring."
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5234 on: July 21, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »

chest/tri/abs..

inc press...135/135/165/185/185.warmed up 12 reps x2..10/8/8
fdb press palms turned in facing at top 60/65/65..10/8/8
flat flyes superset barbell pullover ...40/45/45 and premade bar 70lbs..
low cable crossover flyes x3
hammer seated press 2 plates and 2 sets 2.5 plates sets 10

tris
pushdowns x4
overhead rope extensions x3
back to pad reverse grip pushdowns x3
2 sets finish db lying skullcrushers

abs
6 sets of 20 seated crunch machine 100ls on stack

$
The Scott
Getbig IV

« Reply #5235 on: July 21, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »

15 sets each of chest, shoulders and triceps followed by a singe set of machine sit-ups for 50 reps.  Will be gone for a couple of weeks to see my eldest niece get married and no access to a gym.  I may just pull over and lift some rocks!

Now that's Dinosaur Training!

My motivation of late is looking in the mirror at my fat 57 year old physique and eating tuna, beef and pork with very little else every day.  I have been far too long a perma bulker and desire to build a physique that women find attractive and men envy.  I had it when young, but then who among us didn't?

Here 'till Thursday (and then off on a road trip).  Try the veal! 

DroppingPlates
Getbig V

Where are my brave brothers and sisters?

« Reply #5236 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:03 AM »

I'm still a fan of the push/pull split. A bit tired lately (warm summer here), so I decided to put my focus on 3 movements for my push day:

10 sets of deep squats
10 sets of deep machine assisted dips
6(?) sets of standing DB presses
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5237 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:01 AM »

last nights workout was chest.. threw in supersets for a Change of pace.

Incline Flyes 3 sets superset with
BB incline press 3 sets

Flat flyes 3 sets superset with
Flat DB bench press 3 sets

Push up bar push ups 2 xmax
Abs: Hanging knee raises 2xmax
15 sets each of chest, shoulders and triceps followed by a singe set of machine sit-ups for 50 reps.  Will be gone for a couple of weeks to see my eldest niece get married and no access to a gym.  I may just pull over and lift some rocks!

Now that's Dinosaur Training!

My motivation of late is looking in the mirror at my fat 57 year old physique and eating tuna, beef and pork with very little else every day.  I have been far too long a perma bulker and desire to build a physique that women find attractive and men envy.  I had it when young, but then who among us didn't?

Here 'till Thursday (and then off on a road trip).  Try the veal!  

Dinosaur Training Looks good. I think thatīs more Chaosīs Department. Some of it Looks good and it reminds me of when i was a kid Curling an iron Bar outside in the Garden. Puting Black tape over the nozzle of an air pump (for an air bed) i did not know what Isometrics,Isotonics,Isokinetic Training was. I just pushed it and got slow resistance. Good times . you know when i go running in the Woods i see Long logs stacked up by the Forest workers and have thought about doing some squats with them.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5238 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:23 AM »

I'm still a fan of the push/pull split. A bit tired lately (warm summer here), so I decided to put my focus on 3 movements for my push day:

10 sets of deep squats
10 sets of deep machine assisted dips
6(?) sets of standing DB presses
Good Workout. 10 sets of squats will blow you up like a balloon Grin and 10 sets of Dips. Got it all there really. shoulders, chest,triceps.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5239 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:16 AM »

chest/tri/abs..

inc press...135/135/165/185/185.warmed up 12 reps x2..10/8/8
fdb press palms turned in facing at top 60/65/65..10/8/8
flat flyes superset barbell pullover ...40/45/45 and premade bar 70lbs..
low cable crossover flyes x3
hammer seated press 2 plates and 2 sets 2.5 plates sets 10

tris
pushdowns x4
overhead rope extensions x3
back to pad reverse grip pushdowns x3
2 sets finish db lying skullcrushers

abs
6 sets of 20 seated crunch machine 100ls on stack
I like the flat flys with Pullovers. very interesting. BB Pullovers i like for Lat Training or BB pull over and press for triceps. Nice one Steve.
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5240 on: July 22, 2014, 05:32:37 AM »

DONNY ALL OVER THIS MORNING IN HERE  Grin,,,SOME GOOD WORKOUTS BRO'S..

$
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5241 on: July 22, 2014, 05:49:54 AM »

Good Workout. 10 sets of squats will blow you up like a balloon Grin and 10 sets of Dips. Got it all there really. shoulders, chest,triceps.

There you go, and yes, I feel my chest, tris and thighs. I did everything with the same weight for 10 reps, so it was a bit German Volume style.

It's ok to isolate certain muscle groups, but it takes more time to switch from exercise to exercise and every time you need to zone in. My focus was much better this time Smiley
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5242 on: July 22, 2014, 06:02:39 AM »

DONNY ALL OVER THIS MORNING IN HERE  Grin,,,SOME GOOD WORKOUTS BRO'S..
Steve youīre my American Bro  Grin
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5243 on: July 22, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »

There you go, and yes, I feel my chest, tris and thighs. I did everything with the same weight for 10 reps, so it was a bit German Volume style.

It's ok to isolate certain muscle groups, but it takes more time to switch from exercise to exercise and every time you need to zone in. My focus was much better this time Smiley
most guys i know also do a few sets of "Isolation" work with this. 10x10 is good for maybe 8-12 weeks.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5244 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »

what was your rest periods between sets if you maintained the same weight? what was your starting weight ? what % of your max weight did you lift?
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5245 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »

what was your rest periods between sets if you maintained the same weight? what was your starting weight ? what % of your max weight did you lift?

I counted slowly till 15, so prob 20 sec. I have no clue about my exact rep maxes, since my lowest sets are 8 reps. I've never did this before, so I picked safe poundages. I did 10x155 for the squats, 10x30 counterweight for the assisted dips and 6(?)x35 pound DB's (so 70 total) for the standing presses. Next time I will add 20-25 to the squat and a few pounds to the DB presses.
The Scott
Getbig IV

« Reply #5246 on: July 22, 2014, 08:49:31 PM »

last nights workout was chest.. threw in supersets for a Change of pace.

Incline Flyes 3 sets superset with
BB incline press 3 sets

Flat flyes 3 sets superset with
Flat DB bench press 3 sets

Push up bar push ups 2 xmax
Abs: Hanging knee raises 2xmax Dinosaur Training Looks good. I think thatīs more Chaosīs Department. Some of it Looks good and it reminds me of when i was a kid Curling an iron Bar outside in the Garden. Puting Black tape over the nozzle of an air pump (for an air bed) i did not know what Isometrics,Isotonics,Isokinetic Training was. I just pushed it and got slow resistance. Good times . you know when i go running in the Woods i see Long logs stacked up by the Forest workers and have thought about doing some squats with them.

Sounds like an excellent session, sir!

Some of my co-workers gave me a section of telephone pole a few years ago and I would lift, press, carry or whatever with that thing!  It was sooooo freakin' cool but my wife said it smelled awful so...Goodbye to the pole.  I also would do clean and press with a 2 inch bar and curls with either 2" or 3+ " bars.  It got so that my elbows hurt too much with that stuff so I had to stop. 

Another great exercise I used to do on breaks at work was to toss a 3" + piece of brass that was about a foot long several feet into the air.  Back and forth between arms for a hard, fast, intense workout for biceps and grip.  Great fun, believe me.  Later I did the same with a 2" dumbbell in the garage up to 40 or so pounds.  That was over ten years ago.  Damnit!  I hate getting ever more "mature". 
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5247 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:23 AM »

I counted slowly till 15, so prob 20 sec. I have no clue about my exact rep maxes, since my lowest sets are 8 reps. I've never did this before, so I picked safe poundages. I did 10x155 for the squats, 10x30 counterweight for the assisted dips and 6(?)x35 pound DB's (so 70 total) for the standing presses. Next time I will add 20-25 to the squat and a few pounds to the DB presses.
yeah another Trainer at the Gym who is middle 40īs does 10x10. he seems to like it. really just the same as 8x8 which Gironda praised..with 15-20 secs rest and not letting go of the bar Grin very tough to do because he said workout no more than 45 mins.  I think the Guy at the gym does a classic 3 Day split  Chest/back..legs...Shoulders/arms.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5248 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:12 AM »

Sounds like an excellent session, sir!

Some of my co-workers gave me a section of telephone pole a few years ago and I would lift, press, carry or whatever with that thing!  It was sooooo freakin' cool but my wife said it smelled awful so...Goodbye to the pole.  I also would do clean and press with a 2 inch bar and curls with either 2" or 3+ " bars.  It got so that my elbows hurt too much with that stuff so I had to stop. 

Another great exercise I used to do on breaks at work was to toss a 3" + piece of brass that was about a foot long several feet into the air.  Back and forth between arms for a hard, fast, intense workout for biceps and grip.  Great fun, believe me.  Later I did the same with a 2" dumbbell in the garage up to 40 or so pounds.  That was over ten years ago.  Damnit!  I hate getting ever more "mature". 
Sounds like you had fun. Remember just experimenting with things when i was a kid. Like a Young Boy fumbling with his first Girl  Grin Was fun just Lifting anything heavy. when i was 15 i did a milk run before School. 5 am i got picked up and drove round streets delivering milk bottles to houses. was quite physical because you had a carrier of 12 bottles in each Hand and had to run with them. The Driver slowed down and you jumped off the back and run. Had handles fitted on the van to hold onto. i donīt think they allow this nowadays. was like fasted cardio and strength Training. was always in shape. no fat just toned up.
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5249 on: July 23, 2014, 03:53:24 AM »

yeah another Trainer at the Gym who is middle 40īs does 10x10. he seems to like it. really just the same as 8x8 which Gironda praised..with 15-20 secs rest and not letting go of the bar Grin very tough to do because he said workout no more than 45 mins.  I think the Guy at the gym does a classic 3 Day split  Chest/back..legs...Shoulders/arms.

Vince G was pretty extreme with his training & nutrition regimens. Every now and then I read his interviews/articles in Ironman magazine (early nineties when it was a good magazine, not that piece of crap it is today). Imagine him on this forum, damn... RIP Vince
I believe that 45 mins has a near perfect volume/intensity balance, esp with short rest intervals.

2 days later... and my pecs, vastus medialis ('teardrop') and hamstrings are pretty sore. Will I perform those 10x10 deads this evening? Not sure yet...
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 251   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!