Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
October 22, 2014, 09:53:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 239   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 352424 times)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #5250 on: July 21, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »

For us older guys all you have to do is look at what 99.9% of most 55 year olds look like as motivation to train.  Most guys around that age can't run a mile at any speed. If they can it's a crawl. Many go to the gym and their whole work out revolves around benching and curls. If they have a decent bench they think that shows they are strong and in shape. If I become a trainer I won't let most guys bench so they will direct their energy into the 200 other weight exercises.

Today's work out was back. I caned the workout after 2 sets of power cleans. I just upped the weight to much. On the jerk on the last rep I nearly crashed and burned because I got out of position. Dropped the weight and watched it bounce due to the bumper plates. Just sat there pissed off.  Put on my running shoes and ran a really decent 5 miles.

My two plus weeks of one set to failure is over for now. Going back to multiple sets. One set to failure works but it's psychologically very hard. It's also really hard to load up a bar for that one insane set on the body.

As we get older you have a fine line between training the body and destroying it. Emil Zatopek the greatest distance runner in Olympic history who won Gold in the same Olympics in the 5K, 10K and the marathon said in effect, " The body is like a spring. You push it as in training and it springs back. You have to be careful to not damage the spring."
Report to moderator   Logged
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5251 on: July 21, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »

chest/tri/abs..

inc press...135/135/165/185/185.warmed up 12 reps x2..10/8/8
fdb press palms turned in facing at top 60/65/65..10/8/8
flat flyes superset barbell pullover ...40/45/45 and premade bar 70lbs..
low cable crossover flyes x3
hammer seated press 2 plates and 2 sets 2.5 plates sets 10

tris
pushdowns x4
overhead rope extensions x3
back to pad reverse grip pushdowns x3
2 sets finish db lying skullcrushers

abs
6 sets of 20 seated crunch machine 100ls on stack

$
The Scott
Getbig IV

Give us this day, our daily oyster...

« Reply #5252 on: July 21, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »

15 sets each of chest, shoulders and triceps followed by a singe set of machine sit-ups for 50 reps.  Will be gone for a couple of weeks to see my eldest niece get married and no access to a gym.  I may just pull over and lift some rocks!

Now that's Dinosaur Training!

My motivation of late is looking in the mirror at my fat 57 year old physique and eating tuna, beef and pork with very little else every day.  I have been far too long a perma bulker and desire to build a physique that women find attractive and men envy.  I had it when young, but then who among us didn't?

Here 'till Thursday (and then off on a road trip).  Try the veal! 

DroppingPlates
Getbig V

Where are my brave brothers and sisters?

« Reply #5253 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:03 AM »

I'm still a fan of the push/pull split. A bit tired lately (warm summer here), so I decided to put my focus on 3 movements for my push day:

10 sets of deep squats
10 sets of deep machine assisted dips
6(?) sets of standing DB presses
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5254 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:01 AM »

last nights workout was chest.. threw in supersets for a Change of pace.

Incline Flyes 3 sets superset with
BB incline press 3 sets

Flat flyes 3 sets superset with
Flat DB bench press 3 sets

Push up bar push ups 2 xmax
Abs: Hanging knee raises 2xmax
15 sets each of chest, shoulders and triceps followed by a singe set of machine sit-ups for 50 reps.  Will be gone for a couple of weeks to see my eldest niece get married and no access to a gym.  I may just pull over and lift some rocks!

Now that's Dinosaur Training!

My motivation of late is looking in the mirror at my fat 57 year old physique and eating tuna, beef and pork with very little else every day.  I have been far too long a perma bulker and desire to build a physique that women find attractive and men envy.  I had it when young, but then who among us didn't?

Here 'till Thursday (and then off on a road trip).  Try the veal!  

Dinosaur Training Looks good. I think thatīs more Chaosīs Department. Some of it Looks good and it reminds me of when i was a kid Curling an iron Bar outside in the Garden. Puting Black tape over the nozzle of an air pump (for an air bed) i did not know what Isometrics,Isotonics,Isokinetic Training was. I just pushed it and got slow resistance. Good times . you know when i go running in the Woods i see Long logs stacked up by the Forest workers and have thought about doing some squats with them.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5255 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:23 AM »

I'm still a fan of the push/pull split. A bit tired lately (warm summer here), so I decided to put my focus on 3 movements for my push day:

10 sets of deep squats
10 sets of deep machine assisted dips
6(?) sets of standing DB presses
Good Workout. 10 sets of squats will blow you up like a balloon Grin and 10 sets of Dips. Got it all there really. shoulders, chest,triceps.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5256 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:16 AM »

chest/tri/abs..

inc press...135/135/165/185/185.warmed up 12 reps x2..10/8/8
fdb press palms turned in facing at top 60/65/65..10/8/8
flat flyes superset barbell pullover ...40/45/45 and premade bar 70lbs..
low cable crossover flyes x3
hammer seated press 2 plates and 2 sets 2.5 plates sets 10

tris
pushdowns x4
overhead rope extensions x3
back to pad reverse grip pushdowns x3
2 sets finish db lying skullcrushers

abs
6 sets of 20 seated crunch machine 100ls on stack
I like the flat flys with Pullovers. very interesting. BB Pullovers i like for Lat Training or BB pull over and press for triceps. Nice one Steve.
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5257 on: July 22, 2014, 05:32:37 AM »

DONNY ALL OVER THIS MORNING IN HERE  Grin,,,SOME GOOD WORKOUTS BRO'S..

$
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5258 on: July 22, 2014, 05:49:54 AM »

Good Workout. 10 sets of squats will blow you up like a balloon Grin and 10 sets of Dips. Got it all there really. shoulders, chest,triceps.

There you go, and yes, I feel my chest, tris and thighs. I did everything with the same weight for 10 reps, so it was a bit German Volume style.

It's ok to isolate certain muscle groups, but it takes more time to switch from exercise to exercise and every time you need to zone in. My focus was much better this time Smiley
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5259 on: July 22, 2014, 06:02:39 AM »

DONNY ALL OVER THIS MORNING IN HERE  Grin,,,SOME GOOD WORKOUTS BRO'S..
Steve youīre my American Bro  Grin
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5260 on: July 22, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »

There you go, and yes, I feel my chest, tris and thighs. I did everything with the same weight for 10 reps, so it was a bit German Volume style.

It's ok to isolate certain muscle groups, but it takes more time to switch from exercise to exercise and every time you need to zone in. My focus was much better this time Smiley
most guys i know also do a few sets of "Isolation" work with this. 10x10 is good for maybe 8-12 weeks.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5261 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »

what was your rest periods between sets if you maintained the same weight? what was your starting weight ? what % of your max weight did you lift?
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5262 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »

what was your rest periods between sets if you maintained the same weight? what was your starting weight ? what % of your max weight did you lift?

I counted slowly till 15, so prob 20 sec. I have no clue about my exact rep maxes, since my lowest sets are 8 reps. I've never did this before, so I picked safe poundages. I did 10x155 for the squats, 10x30 counterweight for the assisted dips and 6(?)x35 pound DB's (so 70 total) for the standing presses. Next time I will add 20-25 to the squat and a few pounds to the DB presses.
The Scott
Getbig IV

Give us this day, our daily oyster...

« Reply #5263 on: July 22, 2014, 08:49:31 PM »

last nights workout was chest.. threw in supersets for a Change of pace.

Incline Flyes 3 sets superset with
BB incline press 3 sets

Flat flyes 3 sets superset with
Flat DB bench press 3 sets

Push up bar push ups 2 xmax
Abs: Hanging knee raises 2xmax Dinosaur Training Looks good. I think thatīs more Chaosīs Department. Some of it Looks good and it reminds me of when i was a kid Curling an iron Bar outside in the Garden. Puting Black tape over the nozzle of an air pump (for an air bed) i did not know what Isometrics,Isotonics,Isokinetic Training was. I just pushed it and got slow resistance. Good times . you know when i go running in the Woods i see Long logs stacked up by the Forest workers and have thought about doing some squats with them.

Sounds like an excellent session, sir!

Some of my co-workers gave me a section of telephone pole a few years ago and I would lift, press, carry or whatever with that thing!  It was sooooo freakin' cool but my wife said it smelled awful so...Goodbye to the pole.  I also would do clean and press with a 2 inch bar and curls with either 2" or 3+ " bars.  It got so that my elbows hurt too much with that stuff so I had to stop. 

Another great exercise I used to do on breaks at work was to toss a 3" + piece of brass that was about a foot long several feet into the air.  Back and forth between arms for a hard, fast, intense workout for biceps and grip.  Great fun, believe me.  Later I did the same with a 2" dumbbell in the garage up to 40 or so pounds.  That was over ten years ago.  Damnit!  I hate getting ever more "mature". 
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5264 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:23 AM »

I counted slowly till 15, so prob 20 sec. I have no clue about my exact rep maxes, since my lowest sets are 8 reps. I've never did this before, so I picked safe poundages. I did 10x155 for the squats, 10x30 counterweight for the assisted dips and 6(?)x35 pound DB's (so 70 total) for the standing presses. Next time I will add 20-25 to the squat and a few pounds to the DB presses.
yeah another Trainer at the Gym who is middle 40īs does 10x10. he seems to like it. really just the same as 8x8 which Gironda praised..with 15-20 secs rest and not letting go of the bar Grin very tough to do because he said workout no more than 45 mins.  I think the Guy at the gym does a classic 3 Day split  Chest/back..legs...Shoulders/arms.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5265 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:12 AM »

Sounds like an excellent session, sir!

Some of my co-workers gave me a section of telephone pole a few years ago and I would lift, press, carry or whatever with that thing!  It was sooooo freakin' cool but my wife said it smelled awful so...Goodbye to the pole.  I also would do clean and press with a 2 inch bar and curls with either 2" or 3+ " bars.  It got so that my elbows hurt too much with that stuff so I had to stop. 

Another great exercise I used to do on breaks at work was to toss a 3" + piece of brass that was about a foot long several feet into the air.  Back and forth between arms for a hard, fast, intense workout for biceps and grip.  Great fun, believe me.  Later I did the same with a 2" dumbbell in the garage up to 40 or so pounds.  That was over ten years ago.  Damnit!  I hate getting ever more "mature". 
Sounds like you had fun. Remember just experimenting with things when i was a kid. Like a Young Boy fumbling with his first Girl  Grin Was fun just Lifting anything heavy. when i was 15 i did a milk run before School. 5 am i got picked up and drove round streets delivering milk bottles to houses. was quite physical because you had a carrier of 12 bottles in each Hand and had to run with them. The Driver slowed down and you jumped off the back and run. Had handles fitted on the van to hold onto. i donīt think they allow this nowadays. was like fasted cardio and strength Training. was always in shape. no fat just toned up.
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5266 on: July 23, 2014, 03:53:24 AM »

yeah another Trainer at the Gym who is middle 40īs does 10x10. he seems to like it. really just the same as 8x8 which Gironda praised..with 15-20 secs rest and not letting go of the bar Grin very tough to do because he said workout no more than 45 mins.  I think the Guy at the gym does a classic 3 Day split  Chest/back..legs...Shoulders/arms.

Vince G was pretty extreme with his training & nutrition regimens. Every now and then I read his interviews/articles in Ironman magazine (early nineties when it was a good magazine, not that piece of crap it is today). Imagine him on this forum, damn... RIP Vince
I believe that 45 mins has a near perfect volume/intensity balance, esp with short rest intervals.

2 days later... and my pecs, vastus medialis ('teardrop') and hamstrings are pretty sore. Will I perform those 10x10 deads this evening? Not sure yet...
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5267 on: July 23, 2014, 05:13:40 AM »

Vince G was pretty extreme with his training & nutrition regimens. Every now and then I read his interviews/articles in Ironman magazine (early nineties when it was a good magazine, not that piece of crap it is today). Imagine him on this forum, damn... RIP Vince
I believe that 45 mins has a near perfect volume/intensity balance, esp with short rest intervals.

2 days later... and my pecs, vastus medialis ('teardrop') and hamstrings are pretty sore. Will I perform those 10x10 deads this evening? Not sure yet...
I have a ton of old mag's in basement 87/2000's ..gironda was interesting ,I like bench press to neck at times.ironman/musclemag was great in 90's

$
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5268 on: July 23, 2014, 05:30:09 AM »

i had a pile of mags too Steve...till my wife threw them out Roll Eyes loved reading all the articles. lucky i cut out the best ones and still have it all in a Folder. preserved for eternity Grin
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5269 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:17 AM »

I have a ton of old mag's in basement 87/2000's ..gironda was interesting ,I like bench press to neck at times.ironman/musclemag was great in 90's

Wow, sounds like a schmoe's library  Grin
Guillotine presses are a stable in my trainer's chest routine, so my delts are toasted as well at the end of a workout. All chest work is done on flat benches, which is different from my own workouts.
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5270 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »

i had a pile of mags too Steve...till my wife threw them out Roll Eyes loved reading all the articles. lucky i cut out the best ones and still have it all in a Folder. preserved for eternity Grin

WHY?!  Angry
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

« Reply #5271 on: July 23, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »

WHY?!  Angry
I still have loads of books and Videos ( Videos from the dark Ages) Wink
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5272 on: July 23, 2014, 06:22:58 AM »

I still have loads of books and Videos ( Videos from the dark Ages) Wink

That's sweet, but I still wonder why she did that.
Love is nothing without acceptance, and accepting someone's passion is part of that.
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

« Reply #5273 on: July 23, 2014, 06:31:23 AM »

Wow, sounds like a schmoe's library  Grin
Guillotine presses are a stable in my trainer's chest routine, so my delts are toasted as well at the end of a workout. All chest work is done on flat benches, which is different from my own workouts.
lol...your dutch D.P. RIGHT?

$
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

« Reply #5274 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »

lol...your dutch D.P. RIGHT?

Yes, and it's a sad day here. Two planes with the MH17 victims have just been arrived. A woman from my gym -well, the ladies-only branch- is one of them.. Undecided
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 239   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!