Author Topic: Who is to blame for the Republican failure?  (Read 2574 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Who is to blame for the Republican failure?
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:58:47 AM »
GOP or Mitt?  The party or the candidate?

While equal arguments could be made to support both, some people believe the failure in the 2012 election lies squarely on the shoulders of one.

Was it the GOP with their hardline stance against immigration, their war on women, or catering to the Tee Hee Party?  Or was it Mitt's out of touch character and the blundering say-anything talker who was constantly be corrected and his statements denied by his own campaign?

Mitt hadn't even walked off stage from his concession speech (and canceling his staff's credit cards) before the fingers started pointing.  Where do you think it went wrong?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Who is to blame for the Republican failure?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09:18 AM »
The GOP choose Romney.

They could have nominated a more far right Santorum, Bachmann etc or a true conservative like Ron Paul.

They didnt want Ron Paul because the lobbyist that run the GOP cant buy him and they didnt want Santorum because they knew he would get killed on social issues against Obama.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:16:05 AM »
GOP or Mitt?  The party or the candidate?

While equal arguments could be made to support both, some people believe the failure in the 2012 election lies squarely on the shoulders of one.

Was it the GOP with their hardline stance against immigration, their war on women, or catering to the Tee Hee Party?  Or was it Mitt's out of touch character and the blundering say-anything talker who was constantly be corrected and his statements denied by his own campaign?

Mitt hadn't even walked off stage from his concession speech (and canceling his staff's credit cards) before the fingers started pointing.  Where do you think it went wrong?
I personally feel that the "blundering say anything talker" and "flip flopping" was the direct result of the GOP establishment telling him how to run his race.

While they both contributed, I'm going with the GOP, especially after it essentially shit on a huge youth movement. They refuse to evolve and try to bring in younger voters, and the one time they had an opportunity to incorporate a large base of youth voters with the Ron Paul crowd, they essentially shut them down and told them to fuck off.

I thought it was strange. They didn't have to run Ron Paul, but they could have found a way to incorporate Ron Paul's following and take all those young voters... but they didn't seem to care.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »
I personally feel that the "blundering say anything talker" and "flip flopping" was the direct result of the GOP establishment telling him how to run his race.

While they both contributed, I'm going with the GOP, especially after it essentially shit on a huge youth movement. They refuse to evolve and try to bring in younger voters, and the one time they had an opportunity to incorporate a large base of youth voters with the Ron Paul crowd, they essentially shut them down and told them to fuck off.

I thought it was strange. They didn't have to run Ron Paul, but they could have found a way to incorporate Ron Paul's following and take all those young voters... but they didn't seem to care.

They couldnt run RP because he is not for sale

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »
They couldnt run RP because he is not for sale 97 years old and a crazy old fool.
!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:30:53 AM »
My point wasn't that they should have run RP (obviously they wouldn't), but that they should have found a way to incorporate his base without pissing off a lot of possible young voters with their "fuck you guys, and fuck all your friends" attitude.
As Irongrip said in another thread, the GOP is becoming the dinosaur that wouldn't evolve. They're taking hard line stances on stupid issues as the country around them basically becomes more socially liberal.
There needs to be a balance.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
If it wasn't for his comments about the 47% he would have won

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »
The GOP choose Romney.

They could have nominated a more far right Santorum, Bachmann etc or a true conservative like Ron Paul.

They didnt want Ron Paul because the lobbyist that run the GOP cant buy him and they didnt want Santorum because they knew he would get killed on social issues against Obama.

Yes, one complaint I have read is that Romney was the choice of the GOP elite reflecting their own urges and not the result of the common party's voice being heard.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »

QFT

I couldn't agree with you more. They flat out blew it. They snatched defeat, out of the jaws of victory, ...or however that stupid saying goes.
w

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
My point wasn't that they should have run RP (obviously they wouldn't), but that they should have found a way to incorporate his base without pissing off a lot of possible young voters with their "fuck you guys, and fuck all your friends" attitude.
As Irongrip said in another thread, the GOP is becoming the dinosaur that wouldn't evolve. They're taking hard line stances on stupid issues as the country around them basically becomes more socially liberal.
There needs to be a balance.

The GOP and RP is exact opposites

Therefore the backstabbing at the convention and there they couldnt incorporate his base

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »
If it wasn't for his comments about the 47% he would have won

very possible.   that 47% tape + the women issue.... without those, in this depression, Mitt wins.

We all downplayed it in 2012, but history will look at that tape and say "What the F were you thinking?"   That tape is about as huge as it gets.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04:28 AM »
The final month you had the 47% comment and the womens rape and abortion veiws by other repubs......it was hilarious to watch the train wreck as the true comments came out.
The tea party with limbaugh, hannity etc destroyed their chances at looking like normal human beings.  They better come back to the center or they will die off very soon.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »

Why is Ron Paul Crazy?

Because he believes in the Constitution, urges fiscal responsibility, and doesn't want to send our kids to die for countries that hold no allegiance to the values that we do. Duh!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »
  Because he believes in the Constitution, urges fiscal responsibility, and doesn't want to send our kids to die for countries that hold no allegiance to the values that we do. Duh!
Right

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
women

women hate idea of male boss so much now they simply vote to ruin everything and make world into a retard version of a government run tax paid college aka wonderland

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »
combination of the both of them

You can't blame Mitt for the fact the Repubs lost seats in the Senate, House and State Legislatures

plenty of blame to go around

Time to put the clown shown on hiatus for re-tooling

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 04:11:46 PM »
The Republican rank and file.  Having to cater to Tea Partiers, conservatives, libertarians, the Christian Right, and independents makes Republican candidates continually flip flop on a number of issues.  The fear of virtually all Republicans is that if they do not cow-tow to all of their voting blocs in some form or another, than a major group will simply stay home and not vote at all.  The Democrats seem to not fear this, as they actually have a much diverse range of voters and they will still vote Democrat no matter the contradictions the Democratic candidate brings to the table.

The Republicans need to back off of the social issues such as abortion, gay rights, and stop taking ultra hard-line stances on immigration.  Rather than focusing on religion(Christianity), they need to embrace the sciences and emphasize higher education.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
The Republican rank and file.  Having to cater to Tea Partiers, conservatives, libertarians, the Christian Right, and independents makes Republican candidates continually flip flop on a number of issues.  The fear of virtually all Republicans is that if they do not cow-tow to all of their voting blocs in some form or another, than a major group will simply stay home and not vote at all.  The Democrats seem to not fear this, as they actually have a much diverse range of voters and they will still vote Democrat no matter the contradictions the Democratic candidate brings to the table.

The Republicans need to back off of the social issues such as abortion, gay rights, and stop taking ultra hard-line stances on immigration.  Rather than focusing on religion(Christianity), they need to embrace the sciences and emphasize higher education.

I agree and they could easily make this pivot by saying they still support most of their beliefs but they also support an individuals right to choose their own path regarding social issue, aborition, gay rights, etc.. leaving them open appeal all factions in their party.   However I suspect certain Repubs will say this is absolutely the wrong approach and they need to push the social issues even harder and become more extreme.   

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »

Why is Ron Paul Crazy?
You are black, correct?  :-\
!

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »

Why is Ron Paul Crazy?

Because Benny is a left-wing nutjob with the IQ of a lima bean?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
Because Benny is a left-wing nutjob with the IQ of a lima bean?
fail

try harder, stud
!

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
fail

try harder, stud

Oh noes. You discovered my one weakness... asserting I failed and challenging me to try harder. Who'd ever think that I, of all people, would suffer the ignominy of such a complete and utter defeat.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »
Oh noes. You discovered my one weakness... asserting I failed and challenging me to try harder. Who'd ever think that I, of all people, who suffer the ignominy of such a complete and utter defeat.
glad you figured it out, big guy
!

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »
Benny did you start posting in the Politics forum again?