Author Topic: Shifting Bodyweight during Squats  (Read 3174 times)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Shifting Bodyweight during Squats
« on: November 29, 2005, 04:08:48 PM »
I have what appears to be slight posture problems, and because of that, i have a really stiff left hip (and generally tight muscles).  I know i should be stretching, but i've also found that when i squat, and even leg press, i tend to shift onto my right foot.  I really like squatting and such, and i'd like to keep these exercises, but how can i fix posture, aside from stretching, to get the most benefit?
:-)

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Shifting Bodyweight during Squats
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 04:30:04 PM »
If you're looking to correct posture, you could check out the "Neanderthal No More" series over on T-Mag, written by Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey.  Very good and comprehensive.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 06:17:28 PM »
It's not really so much that i'm trying to correct my posture, it's not THAT bad....it's that i notice i kind of twist or something, ever so slightly, during my bilateral leg movements....creating a little more pressure on my right leg. 

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 08:18:20 PM »
S-T-R-E-T-C-H    
1*You answered half of your own question already Bear.

2* Smith Machine Split Squats, Step-ups <varying height>, Lunges <varying length> 
Drop all leg movements except these 3 for 4 to 6 weeks and your imbalance will be long gone. 
I can guarantee some serious new thigh growth if these moves are done seriously and consistently.

3* 1 legged Romanian DLS will hammer the posterior chain and there you have it!!!!

Also, if you deadlift make sure you are alternating your grip!!
Did I mention  STRETCHING?????

XS

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:00:37 AM »
thanks for the advice...

XS, you really are pretty obsessed with "STRECTHING" aren't you?

do you have any good stretches i can do?  how long/how often would you recommend stretching?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:14:53 AM »
S-T-R-E-T-C-H    

2* Smith Machine Split Squats, Step-ups <varying height>, Lunges <varying length> 
Drop all leg movements except these 3 for 4 to 6 weeks and your imbalance will be long gone. 
I can guarantee some serious new thigh growth if these moves are done seriously and consistently.

3* 1 legged Romanian DLS will hammer the posterior chain and there you have it!!!!

Yup, hip and glute work are def in order.   I see these imbalances all the time, but most guys don't want to do what it  takes to improve since those movements don't look "manly"  ::)  Even outside the Smith, split squats could help.  X band walks are extremely effective, but look gay and most guys won't do them.  Single legged, multi-planar movements are great too. 

I'll see if I can get some pics up of what I'm talking about later.

Oh, and don't bother with the ad-ab ductor machines (inner and outer thigh) ~ not that you (a guy) would consider using those anyway  :P
:

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:20:58 AM »
Thanks Princess!  I'm not really concerned about looking gay, i'm probably one of 10 people in my gym that even squat in the first place, so....anything that could help.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 11:07:15 AM »
thanks for the advice...

XS, you really are pretty obsessed with "STRECTHING" aren't you?

do you have any good stretches i can do?  how long/how often would you recommend stretching?

Yes, yes I am.  Here's why BEAR , NOONE does them at all.   The clients I see, to the e-mails/posts I answer.  Poor flexibility and poor biomechanics are the 1* reason for gym related injuries. Heck for out of the gym injuries as well.  And it is completely preventable.  It is a sore spot with me for sure.
Be PROACTIVE not REACTIVE.

Time? 10-15mins. total   -  Light stretching after warm-ups,  aggressive during,  mild after.   What? John Parillo, Doggcrapp style basic Fascia stretching is what I use often.  It goes hand in hand with proper biomechanics. Better quality of life, better muscle control, faster size and strength gains, injury prevention.  Keep it simple.

Start today. Actually right now. Stop reading and start NOW ;)

XS

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »
WTF  ???
I can't seem to post the link.  (What you see above is not what I'm pasting)  :-\

Just GOOGLE  "foam roll Perform Better" and you'll get the article with pictures.
:

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 09:02:07 PM »
S T R E C H I N G - I absolutely agree a major point of injury for everyone.

Is critical - you have got to lengthen a muscle before you contract it.
so to speak.

1 life 1 liver

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 07:17:32 AM »
Might  need a spine/lower back adjustment. Be surprised how many people have one leg shorter than the other, even a matter of halff an inch can throw the hips/back/spine off and out of alinement. Can also try a deep  massage like Roffing or a professional sports massage. The shoes that you wear during workouts influence the legs/hips/back also. Even regular shoes affect the alinement of the spine. I'll usually do leg work barefooted  for a better feel of footing and the leg exercises  themselves.

Doing bwt squats of higher reps, going all the way down, can release some of the tightness after a while. They seem to self-adjust the lower hip/back area with a full range of motion and a natural stretch (didn't have to yell STRETCH either). I will usually do 100 or so Hindu squats before leg and lower back workouts. Might also try step-ups (not the same as one legged squats) to accustom the lagging left left to weight bearing movements (bwt only for higher reps)

You really don't have to do any other form of stretching, just pay attention to the action of the left leg and keep it in balance with the right one. After all, working out is just as much mental (focus) as it is physical. As far as posture goes might try pullovers, shrugs & SLDL's.  Good Luck.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 10:55:31 AM »
JPM ,

Your post was good until the end.

That might work for you but that is NOT good advice. He's developed an imbalance do too lack of flexibility among other things.  BWT full squats are not going to correct an imbalance and release/correct posture problems. 

XS

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 01:28:35 PM »
XS: I must respectfully disagree with you. I stand by the last paragraph(s). The more you do an exercise the more you will acquire a more comfortable range of motion, which certainly includes a max strecth for that exercise. In other word, the more you do it the better you become at it. You really do not need to do any other form of stretching, in fact of reality.

The only Given being that the exercise (squat in this case) is performed in good form with each rep,  enforcing a correct exercise pattern. And with the mental attention on how the body is reacting to the movement. Goodluck.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 05:58:52 PM »
JPM:  We'll agree to disagree on the subject.

My basis for my statement is that he is already squatting and the problem is not correcting itself. Sooo how is continuing going to do anything other than exasperate the condition?  I know my advice is sound and correct. I've trained too many people with these types of challenges to believe different.

The definition of insanity is to continue on the same path and expect a different result.

XS

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 09:50:46 PM »
I feel inclined to agree with both of you guys.  XS, there is no doubt stretching makes me feel better and improves my flexibility, in general.  JPM, i have found in my limited experience that the best way to loosen up for the squats is to squat.  So, i think the best plan is to do both.