Author Topic: Any one ever sprain their A/C joint?  (Read 1041 times)

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
Any one ever sprain their A/C joint?
« on: June 09, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »
What an annoying injury. How long does it take to recover and lift heavy again?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Any one ever sprain their A/C joint?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
What an annoying injury. How long does it take to recover and lift heavy again?

I've separated it twice.

I can't comment on the severity of your injury, but you just have to take the mindset that you can take six weeks off from pressing movements, or a complete stop of chest/shoulder work, and you'll get it  back quickly.

It sucks, but the alternative is to try too soon, and always being in a state of recovery.

I'm going through it right now - albeit with a concussion.  No traing at all until symptoms reside.  Sucks though.
Y

the trainer

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »
This is my A/C joint its a tough son of a bitch so I am not sure how I would sprain it.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »
I've separated it twice.

I can't comment on the severity of your injury, but you just have to take the mindset that you can take six weeks off from pressing movements, or a complete stop of chest/shoulder work, and you'll get it  back quickly.

It sucks, but the alternative is to try too soon, and always being in a state of recovery.

I'm going through it right now - albeit with a concussion.  No traing at all until symptoms reside.  Sucks though.
Yeah I've been hard headed and tried to train through it and it's just not working haha

Don't think I did it that severely----but it definitely kills on pressing movements.

Goddamn patience  ;D

Thanks for the advice Ape

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »
I've separated it twice.

What are the symptoms? I am going through a nagging shoulder "thing" that I am trying to train around and not having a lot of luck. I have no idea what it is, but it hurts. Sometimes, it feels like a rotator cuff injury and other times feels like an accumulated muscle imbalance problem. My traps and rear-delts and bicep all feel affected like they are also strained.

No fucking clue how I did it. I was in a "mix it up" period in the gym and something in there seems to have been the proximate cause.

I should probably go see a shoulder guy, but right now I am too lazy.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
Yeah I've been hard headed and tried to train through it and it's just not working haha

Don't think I did it that severely----but it definitely kills on pressing movements.

Goddamn patience  ;D

Thanks for the advice Ape

No problem.   My guess is you could do some low pulls for back without discomfort, but the shoulder is tricky.  If you have access to a cambered bar or safety squat, you should look into it.  Just blitz your legs 3x week and do conditioning for six weeks, then check back in.

Or you could continue to be like I was and push it.  Got my left shoulder operated on last Feb, and am getting the same procedure on my right this fall.   ;D
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:58:28 AM »
What are the symptoms? I am going through a nagging shoulder "thing" that I am trying to train around and not having a lot of luck. I have no idea what it is, but it hurts. Sometimes, it feels like a rotator cuff injury and other times feels like an accumulated muscle imbalance problem. My traps and rear-delts and bicep all feel affected like they are also strained.

No fucking clue how I did it. I was in a "mix it up" period in the gym and something in there seems to have been the proximate cause.

I should probably go see a shoulder guy, but right now I am too lazy.

Put the back of your hand on the small of your lower back and try to move it up.  If you feel strain in the shoulder, it could be the ac joint.
Y

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
No problem.   My guess is you could do some low pulls for back without discomfort, but the shoulder is tricky.  If you have access to a cambered bar or safety squat, you should look into it.  Just blitz your legs 3x week and do conditioning for six weeks, then check back in.

Or you could continue to be like I was and push it.  Got my left shoulder operated on last Feb, and am getting the same procedure on my right this fall.   ;D

My man Ape dropping some knowledge on us today 8)

Good idea about the squat bar----when I squat with a straight barbell it kills the injury.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »
Put the back of your hand on the small of your lower back and try to move it up.  If you feel strain in the shoulder, it could be the ac joint.

Hmm, that didn't seem to cause too much of a problem.

Any OHP seems to be a problem and anything like a dip motion hurts. I can do DB presses if I keep the weight light (< 80lbs seems to be OK) and I take time to pack my shoulders and "row" the DBs down.

Also, I can do real rows if I also pack my shoulders before the movement.

My fear is that I am just too stupid to take time off. Although I took a pair of 1 week layoffs that did exactly nothing.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:42 AM »
Be careful on front raises for delts and any kind of flye/crossover movements for chest

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
How does one go about spraining the A/C joint?

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
How does one go about spraining the A/C joint?

I did it in BJJ

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
I did it in BJJ

OK, well fuck knows that I didn't do it THAT way. The only thing that I have been grappling with lately is my yard.

Good to go, then.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
I did it in BJJ

BJJ training has caused me to have A/C joint sprains, A/C joint arthritis and an anterior labral tear.

The A/C joint arthritis can be soothed with just basic Over-The-Counter Acetaminophen & Ibuprofen, as well as rest, massage and alternating warm and cold compresses.

The anterior labral tear led me to shoulder surgery, which fucking sucks.

With what you have (A/C joint sprain), the real issue is that you have minor tears of the ligaments in your shoulder. Depending on the type of sprain you have (they are categorized as Type I-III), you can go back to your usual activities in between anywhere from 1-4 weeks. You need to have it checked out by your local orthopedic doctor, he will run a few scans and work it up properly in order to diagnosis it as either a Type I-III sprain and then tell you what you are supposed to do from there. With Types I-II, you can managed your recovery with a sling, inactivity, Over-The-Counter Acetaminophen & Ibuprofen, as well as rest, massage and alternating warm and cold compresses. Although you can usually apply the same principles to a Type III sprain with a little added time, there are also instances where the tears are substantial enough that you could require surgery, keep this in mind.

Good luck man...

"1"

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
BJJ training has caused me to have A/C joint sprains, A/C joint arthritis and an anterior labral tear.

The A/C joint arthritis can be soothed with just basic Over-The-Counter Acetaminophen & Ibuprofen, as well as rest, massage and alternating warm and cold compresses.

The anterior labral tear led me to shoulder surgery, which fucking sucks.

With what you have (A/C joint sprain), the real issue is that you have minor tears of the ligaments in your shoulder. Depending on the type of sprain you have (they are categorized as Type I-III), you can go back to your usual activities in between anywhere from 1-4 weeks. You need to have it checked out by your local orthopedic doctor, he will run a few scans and work it up properly in order to diagnosis it as either a Type I-III sprain and then tell you what you are supposed to do from there. With Types I-II, you can managed your recovery with a sling, inactivity, Over-The-Counter Acetaminophen & Ibuprofen, as well as rest, massage and alternating warm and cold compresses. Although you can usually apply the same principles to a Type III sprain with a little added time, there are also instances where the tears are substantial enough that you could require surgery, keep this in mind.

Good luck man...

"1"
Great stuff...info is much appreciated, thanks OMR   8)

...especially since u did it the same way

badlad

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »
Nordic. Dont know how this works but have a very helpful pdf of a book that may help u. If u can give me an email addy ill send it thru to u
Ill chk this board later to c how tp get it to u. Dont even know how to do pm etc. Sorry mate i am a computer retard

badlad

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »
Sent you a PM (at least I think I did) - go from there.
Cheers