Author Topic: Aquaponics  (Read 4930 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Aquaponics
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »
I saw an Aquaponic system on Doomsday Preppers.  Anyone know anything about these?

You have a large tank to raise fish in, the fishes waste is circulated into the hydroponic subsystem to feed vegetables (which filters the water for the fish) and than it's circulated back into the fish tank.

You can raise Talipia, Cod, Catfish, Bluegill, Crayfish, etc...

Looks complicated, but you get tons of great fish and vegetables that are nearly free and a cool project.

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: Aquaponics
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »
Might sound weird, but ever since I saw an article about a hydroponic herb farm, I always wanted to try it...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:46:45 PM »
Might sound weird, but ever since I saw an article about a hydroponic herb farm, I always wanted to try it...

Yeah, it looks awesome.

I've had a big traditional garden but this looks way better/more rewarding.

This is a little system pre made from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202176567&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202176567&ci_kw={keyword}&kwd={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202176567&ci_gpa=pla#.UMWEfKzF-hp

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:53:02 PM »
I used to produce a call in gardening show...I know what you want to grow...and shame on you...but if you want more information...Jorge Cervantes

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
I used to produce a call in gardening show...I know what you want to grow...and shame on you...but if you want more information...Jorge Cervantes

haha!!!!

I was trying to grow Swiss Chard, I swear!  ;D

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

No, seriously.  This article I read was about a local hydroponics farm that grew basil (I think?) exclusively, packaged it up real nice and became the supplier for every high end restaurant and grocery store in the area.  They were doing lots of business, and something about the whole thing really appealed to me.  The idea of running this small, super clean, high-tech, quiet and controlled environment is almost hypnotic to me.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
hydroponics you mean?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »
hydroponics you mean?

No, but I'm going to start with hydroponics.

Auqaponics is a combination of Aquaculture (growing fish) and hydroponics.

The fish waste feeds the plants.

P.S. Turn on Fox News, there's a good episode of Stossel on right now!

lulu

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:29:06 AM »
I saw an Aquaponic system on Doomsday Preppers.  Anyone know anything about these?

You have a large tank to raise fish in, the fishes waste is circulated into the hydroponic subsystem to feed vegetables (which filters the water for the fish) and than it's circulated back into the fish tank.

You can raise Talipia, Cod, Catfish, Bluegill, Crayfish, etc...

Looks complicated, but you get tons of great fish and vegetables that are nearly free and a cool project.

For feeding a large group ie: a restaurant or preppers it's viable but not for just a small family IMHO , still , saying that , it's a great idea and good luck with the hydroponics .

I have a friend that does it with a small set up for parsley , chives , lemon grass , cilantro , rosemary , thyme , etc. for her catering business .

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »
For feeding a large group ie: a restaurant or preppers it's viable but not for just a small family IMHO , still , saying that , it's a great idea and good luck with the hydroponics .

I have a friend that does it with a small set up for parsley , chives , lemon grass , cilantro , rosemary , thyme , etc. for her catering business .

Cool, I appreciate the input.

dustin

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
I was thinking of an outdoor hydro setup for veggies, seeing as how I had so much success growing weed with hydro LOL

Aquaponics is interesting though. I wouldn't mind having veggies AND tilapia. The only shitty thing about systems like this is that one small component can break down and cause a huge mess, destroying your crop. You can make a decent low-tech rig by the look of things though. I want to get something started outdoor when the weather permits. Will have plenty of time to start acquiring parts and creating a game plan.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »
I was thinking of an outdoor hydro setup for veggies, seeing as how I had so much success growing weed with hydro LOL

Aquaponics is interesting though. I wouldn't mind having veggies AND tilapia. The only shitty thing about systems like this is that one small component can break down and cause a huge mess, destroying your crop. You can make a decent low-tech rig by the look of things though. I want to get something started outdoor when the weather permits. Will have plenty of time to start acquiring parts and creating a game plan.

Cool, if you do it please let me know how it goes!!

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
Interesting.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:49 PM »

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
I rather work with soil and not hidroponics, it's ten times easier and cheaper. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
Interesting.

Thanks, that's awesome!!

dustin

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
I rather work with soil and not hidroponics, it's ten times easier and cheaper. 

Very true. But a dialed in hydro system can produce ridiculous yields.

I want to get a few rows of PVC setup, cut holes and put netted pots in them, get a big reservoir and throw a pond pump in there. Boom. Welfare cost to build, but great yields! Plus it's all outside so if anything leaks then it doesn't matter! lol