Author Topic: Standing Calves n shoulder problems  (Read 1866 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Standing Calves n shoulder problems
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
I'm just recovering from shoulder surgery. Was a comp bb back in the day and trained for the last thirty some years. I'm still in great shape and have virtually no arthritis anywhere else but had it in my shoulder in a very odd place and a ton of it for my age is wut the Ortho said. I've always done heavy standing calves as my calves have always been very strong. The calf raise currently goes to 500 then I also add plates to it. I'm wondering if after all these years the standing calf could be the culprit. Wut do u guys think?

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
Re: Standing Calves n shoulder problems
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »
Much more likely to be brought on by years of presses.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
To difficult to determine without pics of you oiled in a glitter thong making muscles.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »
Kind of odd, only one side.
Try a weight belt around the waste with a heavy dumbbell, 180 lbs or so and do unilateral calf raises as your last calf movement, remember to stand on a block or perhaps the back of a flat bench press or incline bench press where one would stand to spot someone doing those exercises.
Not a bad alternative, feel better.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »
Do seated raises
A

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:45:03 AM »
Calves are my best body part, but I always avoided standing calfs. I don't like that the load has to move though your entire kinetic chain to reach your target muscle. Rather shorten the distance and do donkeys or seated.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
Calves are my best body part, but I always avoided standing calfs. I don't like that the load has to move though your entire kinetic chain to reach your target muscle. Rather shorten the distance and do donkeys or seated.

Donkeys are close, seated focus on Soleus a little more than Gastroc., not exactly the same as standing.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:52:13 PM »
Donkeys are close, seated focus on Soleus a little more than Gastroc., not exactly the same as standing.
I understand a flexed leg will target soleus more, and an extended leg, the gastroc more. So how are donkeys gonna target the gastroc anymore than standing? Both are an extended leg position, with the load placed on either a closer or further point.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 03:39:56 AM »
pointing to a single cause in a complex system is almost always going to be wrong

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
I understand a flexed leg will target soleus more, and an extended leg, the gastroc more. So how are donkeys gonna target the gastroc anymore than standing? Both are an extended leg position, with the load placed on either a closer or further point.

Agreed, just trying to suggest a replacement for the standing movement to avoid shoulder issue.