Author Topic: military cuts  (Read 693 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Re: military cuts
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »
Almost posted this.Really interesting read.

There were things I was prepared for going in, but the level of waste is just spectacular.
So much of our "military spending" looks like Madonna's touring contract.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
Same with NASA, lots of contracts which get subcontracted to other subcontractors who subcontract it out to other subcontractors.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Same with NASA, lots of contracts which get subcontracted to other subcontractors who subcontract it out to other subcontractors.

That's not what this article is about. It's not just about lack of fiscal oversight. One example- the over 200 taxpayer maintained military golf-courses that are considered some of the best in the world. Another example- the rapidly swelling ranks of generals that are essentially nothing more than Washington lobbyists, complete with outsized, fully taxpayer-funded entourages.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
Are those militarry courses open to the public?  Seems like a reasonable thing to do.  They might become self sustaining. Or even make a profit

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
That's not what this article is about. It's not just about lack of fiscal oversight. One example- the over 200 taxpayer maintained military golf-courses that are considered some of the best in the world. Another example- the rapidly swelling ranks of generals that are essentially nothing more than Washington lobbyists, complete with outsized, fully taxpayer-funded entourages.

The DoD has never, ever been audited. Not once. It was asked, via Congress, to get its motherfucking act together back in 1990....it never did, didn't even attempt it.

I read an article published last week or so, I will try to dig it up, that basically stated that the DoD has absolutely no idea where the money goes, which vendors are paid, what needs repairs, what has been bought, how many times vendors have been paid, real estate, rifles, weapons etc...

Money goes in and disappears. No one really knows what happens to it.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
I don't play golf and would rather see the money pour into the gyms but alot of people play golf. I think many courses are openb to the public, but you have to be able to get through the gate etc. FT Knox had, for many years, two massive courses. They closed one and made the land into housing. Most courses are used by retiree's etc. I cannot argue with most of that. They have General officer's for everything and its ridiculous. You just don't need that many senior positions. The reason for many is that if you have a very high HQ, they (DOD) feel that smaller elements like JAG need to have the weight of a general officer so they're not left out or marginalized. I don't look at it like that, if you know your job then you need showcase competancy and get your nose in. You have some Generals that drive themselves and are regular people and then you have ones that need to waited on hand and foot. I work directly for one now, she's worthless. I've met P4 and Austin and 04, they're all pretty down to earth and smart as hell. You can see very fast why they're General Officers. My boss is "smart' but not articulate. The last one was also female and a dingbat...I don't think she could read..and I mean that. Its just like every job, its got its own culture. We could cut a ton of spending and not cut one needed job and still save money.
L

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 05:46:36 AM »
I don't play golf and would rather see the money pour into the gyms but alot of people play golf. I think many courses are openb to the public, but you have to be able to get through the gate etc. FT Knox had, for many years, two massive courses. They closed one and made the land into housing. Most courses are used by retiree's etc. I cannot argue with most of that. They have General officer's for everything and its ridiculous. You just don't need that many senior positions. The reason for many is that if you have a very high HQ, they (DOD) feel that smaller elements like JAG need to have the weight of a general officer so they're not left out or marginalized. I don't look at it like that, if you know your job then you need showcase competancy and get your nose in. You have some Generals that drive themselves and are regular people and then you have ones that need to waited on hand and foot. I work directly for one now, she's worthless. I've met P4 and Austin and 04, they're all pretty down to earth and smart as hell. You can see very fast why they're General Officers. My boss is "smart' but not articulate. The last one was also female and a dingbat...I don't think she could read..and I mean that. Its just like every job, its got its own culture. We could cut a ton of spending and not cut one needed job and still save money.

Thanks for the honesty HH6.

I never thought you would concede to cutting military spending.

Kudos.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:17:15 AM »

I agree about the golf courses.  I don't think it's a waste. 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »

I know one of these Generals in Park city Utah. Unbeleivable wealth and doesnt do a thing.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
You can cut spending without cutting numbers...building efficiencies is the right thing to do. We're finally getting back to actually using our cooks in the chow halls after almost 20 years. I had one job that required I travel everywhere. I stayed at Turtlebay in HI for a month. I am not complaining but...look up Turtle Bay. I stayed so long I have 3 free nights I may never use. There are plenty of perks but generally getting blown the hell up equals things out. The problem is not the green suiters...its generally the unions and contractors within the DOD. They're no different then the UAW. Try getting some fat ass DOD civilian to do anything for you. If the idiot never served they're generally worthless and can't be fired.
L

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
i think we ought to be cutting numbers as well though.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
to think that this type of waste is limited to the military is fuking assinine.

the entire govt is loaded with waste, and we still have morons yelling for higher taxes on ppl.

the govt is inefficient, bloated and wasteful yet idiots still feel justified in raising the taxes on others to pay for it.

You morons deserve the higher taxes that are coming down the pipe for the middle class....

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »

I agree end all foriegn aid and wars and bring troops home.

Remember defense is 19% GDP and invents everything.

I would reccommend ending welfare, which is 75% of budget.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
i think we ought to be cutting numbers as well though.

Oh really genius...who would u cut, I guess the world is much safer now anyway..ur right!
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
In the 50's before the welfare complex Defense was 10% of GDP

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »
to think that this type of waste is limited to the military is fuking assinine.

the entire govt is loaded with waste, and we still have morons yelling for higher taxes on ppl.

the govt is inefficient, bloated and wasteful yet idiots still feel justified in raising the taxes on others to pay for it.

You morons deserve the higher taxes that are coming down the pipe for the middle class....

To no one's surprise, you missed the point of the article. It never suggested that this is the only sector of gov't that is bloated. However, there is this notion-largely floated by conservatives- that defense spending is good without qualification(see magickuser's post), and defense cuts=anti-military,anti-America. That's not the case, there is chaff in the military budget as well.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 04:41:52 AM »
However, idiot liberals always cut the wrong thing because they don't know what the hell they're doing.
L