Author Topic: was 'smith better than halen?  (Read 4265 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: was 'smith better than halen?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »
:

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

Pretty damn good for '76

Yep, 70's was some good rock maybe the best all time.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
Was Head better than Priest?

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
"Rocks" and "Toys In The Attic" are solid albums. After all these years, these two albums are more influential then anything VH recorded I'd guess except maybe the first album. During the '80s and early '90s, it was the other way around, every kid wanted to play like EVH and the shredders that followed (damn, even I had a cover band playing Satriani and Steve Vai's stuff and I just can't listen to most of that stuff anymore).

No one else like,s listening to that either. Funny how fat bloated Yngwie has has much more cred today than Sat & Vai.

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 11:53:38 PM »
very nice write up man, i'm impressed :)

how about their lyrical talent and creativity? i'd say that 'smith wins hands down

Always thought that song was so cheesey. Really wish that had not gone there.
However does remind me of the Tolkien style fantasy movie Dio was trying to get financed in the late 80's he wanted both DLR & Tyler in it.

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 12:50:06 AM »
Think the best Smifs ;D songs are
Draw the Line
Chip Away The Stone
Mama Kin
Seasons of Wither
Remember when they replaced Joe Perry with a look alike in about 79.
When they first sobered up they actually made some listenable records Room full O Mirrors etc

Seen them on the Pump tour in late 80's thought they sucked.Was so disappointing, big bloated American rock. It sucked.
I am sure Van Halen have been every bit as bad from time to time. They toured down here once only  with Gary Chorizo singing. I did not go, either did anyone else.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »
Aerosmith was the goods for a few albums, they then got sober and started making lame,bloated ballads that were popular because of solid MTV music videos.

Halen was fucking amazing up to halfway through the album 1984.

quoted for accuracy

and on a side note, music really took a plunge for the worse starting in '84 :'(

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »
That's my cut off year.Will listen to most everything before 84 & very rarely anything after.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 02:00:14 AM »
'Til the beginning of the '80s, there was a number of pretty good big "dumb" rock bands like Thin Lizzy, KISS, Van Halen, etc....Fun bands. Then they either disappeared or started making crappy music. Came the hair metal bands on one side of the Atlantic and the NWOBHM on the other which was one of the worse moment in the history of rock'n roll (actually it didn't roll at all). Only band I still like from that period is Motorhead. The late 60s and early 70s were way above.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 02:03:06 AM »
'Til the beginning of the '80s, there was a number of pretty good big "dumb" rock bands like Thin Lizzy, KISS, Van Halen, etc....Fun bands. Then they either disappeared or started making crappy music. Came the hair metal bands on one side of the Atlantic and the NWOBHM on the other which was one of the worse moment in the history of rock'n roll (actually it didn't roll at all). Only band I still like from that period is Motorhead. The late 60s and early 70s were way above.

music really changed and became more "real" in '67 and hit it's peak at around '73 or so

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »
Live it's Aerosmith. Van Halen uses way to many tracks when they play "live". I know today they all do but some bands are worse than others. Real rock sounds real with all it's imperfections. Sometimes I wonder if Van Halen can get together in a garage and really play a song today.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
Think the best Smifs ;D songs are
Draw the Line
Chip Away The Stone
Mama Kin
Seasons of Wither
Remember when they replaced Joe Perry with a look alike in about 79.
When they first sobered up they actually made some listenable records Room full O Mirrors etc

Seen them on the Pump tour in late 80's thought they sucked.Was so disappointing, big bloated American rock. It sucked.
I am sure Van Halen have been every bit as bad from time to time. They toured down here once only  with Gary Chorizo singing. I did not go, either did anyone else.

Always like toys in the attic 8)