Author Topic: The Ultimate Reason Why We Need Guns  (Read 802 times)

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
The Ultimate Reason Why We Need Guns
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:20:30 PM »
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/128878.html

Suzanna Gratia-Hupp, in her classic testimony, addresses it.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
Re: The Ultimate Reason Why We Need Guns
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:50:36 AM »
Are any Americans open for compromise, only rubber bullets made legal. They are potentially lethal (like anything really) but not made for that purpose and very capable of stopping a man. Might sound silly but rubber bullets would basically do the same thing as real bullets and people could still keep guns. What would be great about this is that these could be regarded completely as self defense devices, they would be useless for offense. Open carry shouldn't be a problem for anyone in the society.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:08 AM »
so you say rubber bullets for handguns?

we need real bullets for rifles so we can hunt. well then the crazy bastards whould just shoot up the school yard with a hunting rifle.

nah, i want real bullets so i can kill the crazy shool shooter fucker.
sept 10th APF

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:00:45 AM »
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/128878.html

Suzanna Gratia-Hupp, in her classic testimony, addresses it.

Very intelligent woman.    If only that gunman had done his killing in the senate I would be much happier.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:33:54 AM »
Not one of you asks the obvious counter argument to such testimony and it is this:

For every 1 life saved because of an individuals being permitted to carry a protective weapon at all times, how many lives are taken?  IE, if concealed weapons were allowed at all times, would it be a positive effect on society or would more people die than before?  It is harrowing story and I respect her opinion.  I do wonder, though, is it truly statistically superior to allow people to be perpetually armed (and I'd put the house on no).

Law and legislation should always be about statistical mitigation because the fact is, shit will happen - the goal is to minimise it - sorry to say this, but people are NUMBERS when you are talking about 300+ million of them.  Your only goal is to see more of them live on (as well as protect their rights / freedoms, if you can).  Unfortunately, politicians are voted in by the public and thus, have public opinion in their minds.  The public are easily swayed by the pretty girl (or the pretty girl's parents) being murdered.  Too many people kneejerk with the drama, rather than the figures.   

Being a lawmaker is far from easy - a lot of people think it is because they watch the news report that deliberately leads them in a direction - but that news report can just as easily manipulate people into thinking "gun control HAS to occur".

Only, that may be wrong too.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
You only have a 3 in 1000 chance of being a victim of gun violence in the US.  Remember, that number is horribly skewed by criminals killing criminals. There's a much better chance you'll get cancer or die in a car wreck.

Our individual right to bear arms guarantees defense against tyranny,  and for that we subject ourselves to that slight (.003 chance) risk.

MikMaq

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 03:01:33 AM »
Not one of you asks the obvious counter argument to such testimony and it is this:

For every 1 life saved because of an individuals being permitted to carry a protective weapon at all times, how many lives are taken?  IE, if concealed weapons were allowed at all times, would it be a positive effect on society or would more people die than before?  It is harrowing story and I respect her opinion.  I do wonder, though, is it truly statistically superior to allow people to be perpetually armed (and I'd put the house on no).

Law and legislation should always be about statistical mitigation because the fact is, shit will happen - the goal is to minimise it - sorry to say this, but people are NUMBERS when you are talking about 300+ million of them.  Your only goal is to see more of them live on (as well as protect their rights / freedoms, if you can).  Unfortunately, politicians are voted in by the public and thus, have public opinion in their minds.  The public are easily swayed by the pretty girl (or the pretty girl's parents) being murdered.  Too many people kneejerk with the drama, rather than the figures.   

Being a lawmaker is far from easy - a lot of people think it is because they watch the news report that deliberately leads them in a direction - but that news report can just as easily manipulate people into thinking "gun control HAS to occur".

Only, that may be wrong too.

Don`t bother trying to reason with them, there like woman trying rationalize why they need a new purse for the winter season.