Author Topic: Transverse Abdominal  (Read 3651 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Transverse Abdominal
« on: November 06, 2012, 02:10:25 AM »
This is the most forgotten muscle in the Midsection and after looking today at a picture of Frank Zane, i felt compelled to write this. I am a strong believer in learning Anatomy and learning the Function of the muscles, when you understand this ..then you know better how to train more efficient. To make the Midsection smaller the muscle Traverse Abdominus is very important. It lies deep so you canīt see it like your rectus abdominus( six pack). People do use it when breathing deep in squats but we can target the Traverse Abdominus too. Here is how:: Frank Zane and Vince Gironda made this famous.
The Vacuum: simply draw in your midsection sucking it in as you blow out all your breath. This will train the Traverse very strongly and you will get used to drawing in your waist daily. Hold this Vacuum 20-60 secounds and you can do it seated or standing. Another Good way is to do Planks and side planks. The Traverse Abdominus are deep muscles that stabilise your spine so just because you do not see them..do not forget them!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Re: Transverse Abdominal
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:06:09 AM »
Vacuums are great, I do them every day whenever I find myself in front of the mirror flexing ;D take a deep breath and then try to flex your abs while blowing out the air.. Pull immediately your stomach in and there you have a perfect vacuum.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:22:34 AM »
Thanking Donny for bring this interesting subject up.

Might  suggest doing vacuum's bending over at a 90 degree angle, hands on the legs. A little different approach. Most Yoga classes will include a series of vacuum/breathing exercises. Sitting ,standing, kneeling or at a 90 degree angle, the point is to draw in the ab wall from just under the rib box to below the bellybutton. The basic idea is try to bring the ab wall nearer the spine a possible, with a slight hold of 5 to 10 seconds. Some of these exercises/reps are preformed rather fast and hard (more advanced). Most are preformed at a slower pace. (if anyone has preformed the Yoga exercise "Breathe Of Fire" you may understand the affects  of rapidly preformed vacuum's has on the blood circulation, lungs and all around good feeling..plus the ab wall)

Can include muscle control exercises like the roll ab roll, giving a wave affect, from top to bottom.  Or preforming the (muscle control again) ab rope exercise. First a total ab hold and than the right and left isolation exercise. Both of these require a vacuum when doing them.

Have been told that quite a few can reduce the inner fat cells, around/in between the ab wall, giving a smaller waist measurement. Yoga teaches that the digestions will be improved greatly, as will any stomach problems for some. Also sexual strength improves. In any event, vacuum's and ab rolls/holds may be worth a try. Good Luck.
F

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:26:08 AM »
I really like side planks for targeting the transverse abs. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:10:41 AM »
I really like side planks for targeting the transverse abs. 
yes can be a good exercise for some.